Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: JeffCo AL or JeffCO KY
Jefferson County, Alabama 9 64.29%
Jefferson County, Kentucky 5 35.71%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 04:50 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,800,073 times

Advertisements

Comparing the two, which comes out ahead in terms of cost of living, nightlife, education, economy, amenities, recreational opportunities, natural setting, historic neighborhoods, urban cores, etc.?

For those who don't know, Birmingham is located in Jefferson County, AL and Louisville is located in Jefferson County, KY.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2010, 06:04 PM

4,987 posts, read 9,069,892 times
Im from Alabama so i`m going with the home state ---- Jefferson County Alabama !!!!!!!

Old 10-21-2010, 06:26 PM

2,531 posts, read 6,229,495 times
I'm gonna have to roll with Louisville, KY for this one. It feels a bit faster in pace to me, and a bit more progressive, and a better location in my opinion. If I lived in Birmingham, I may as well move back to Atlanta, because I'd go there as much as possible. Louisville is roughly halfway between Chicago and Atlanta, not to mention that Cincinnati, Indianapolis, and Nashville are all a reasonable drive away.

Birmingham is in a better natural setting and a better COL, but edge goes to Louisville for historic neighborhoods, amenities, and urban core (Highlands > Five Points South)

Old 10-21-2010, 06:29 PM

1,374 posts, read 3,244,033 times
I prefer Birmingham over Louisville any day ... so my preference would be Jefferson Co., Alabama.
Birmingham is a more scenic city ... I enjoy the surrounding low mountains, the rich history and
some very friendly inhabitants.

Louisville is somewhat "non descript" to me ... just kind of bland or without any distinction.

Old 10-21-2010, 06:44 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,800,073 times
Louisville bland? That's a new one. Personally, I think Louisville has much charm and character.

Old 10-22-2010, 02:26 PM

518 posts, read 446,191 times
"Louisville is roughly halfway between Chicago and Atlanta, not to mention that Cincinnati, Indianapolis, and Nashville are all a reasonable drive away."

Louisville is 300 miles from Chicago and 420 miles from Atlanta. I'm not sure it's "halfway" between the two exactly. You are correct that it has a several large metros within a 3 or 4 hour drive though.

Birmingham is in a better natural setting and a better COL, but edge goes to Louisville for historic neighborhoods, amenities, and urban core (Highlands > Five Points South)

I'd definitely give Louisville the edge btween the two downtowns. Southside and Lakeview in Bham are neat but so much of the rest of downtown is so underutlilized. Downtown is much better throughout. I'd give the inner core suburbs of Bham the edge over Louisville though. Mt. Brook, Homewood/Soho, Vestavia Hills, and Hoover/Jeff Co portion are awesome areas. Such nice areas in very unique topographic layout.

Old 10-22-2010, 03:21 PM

1,081 posts, read 2,259,990 times
Kentucky for sure. You can't compare Birmingham to Louisville. Maybe Birmingham and Ashland?

Old 10-22-2010, 03:48 PM

2,531 posts, read 6,229,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 205 View Post
"Louisville is roughly halfway between Chicago and Atlanta, not to mention that Cincinnati, Indianapolis, and Nashville are all a reasonable drive away."

Louisville is 300 miles from Chicago and 420 miles from Atlanta. I'm not sure it's "halfway" between the two exactly. You are correct that it has a several large metros within a 3 or 4 hour drive though.

I'd definitely give Louisville the edge btween the two downtowns. Southside and Lakeview in Bham are neat but so much of the rest of downtown is so underutlilized. Downtown is much better throughout. I'd give the inner core suburbs of Bham the edge over Louisville though. Mt. Brook, Homewood/Soho, Vestavia Hills, and Hoover/Jeff Co portion are awesome areas. Such nice areas in very unique topographic layout.
I said "roughly," not "exactly." I knew that Louisville was a bit closer to Chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City