U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 06:56 PM

643 posts, read 1,315,616 times

Advertisements

Which state is better and why? In perspective these are the most identical states of any in the US.....roughly same population.....population pretty much spread out identically in the urban areas....cities are really reflectable...ie Biloxi and Mobile etc......

Never been to MS but they get my vote because of the many bad experiences I had in Alabama
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2010, 09:07 PM

1,939 posts, read 4,357,094 times
Alabama, what happened to you in AL> Al Has over 2 million more than MS>>>

Old 10-28-2010, 09:17 PM

442 posts, read 766,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajjam View Post
Which state is better and why? In perspective these are the most identical states of any in the US.....roughly same population.....population pretty much spread out identically in the urban areas....cities are really reflectable...ie Biloxi and Mobile etc......

Never been to MS but they get my vote because of the many bad experiences I had in Alabama
What happen to you in Alabama? Don't vote if you have not been to both.

Old 10-28-2010, 09:23 PM

4,230 posts, read 9,817,208 times
Mississippi any day. On the surface the two hardly resemble each other. Outside of local influence, Alabama is mainly influenced by Atlanta. Mississippi on the other hand has a mixture of influence from Memphis, Dallas, Houston, New Orleans, and Atlanta. Makes for an interesting variety in culture from one corner of the state to the other.

Old 10-28-2010, 10:22 PM

175 posts, read 255,716 times
Neither....

Old 10-28-2010, 10:25 PM

I can't remember the name of the city but its 30 mins outside of Birmingham and long story short my ex girlfriend (I'm mixed she's white) knew some people out there so living in Atlanta it was no problem to visit them periodically.......everytime I would get gas I would over hear people calling me the n word and I felt very threatened....any place I went to in this town the same thing would happen....ill think of the city later .....all together I came to this city 5 times....the final straw was when at my gf's friends house we were having a good time when one of the neighbors came over and looked at me a said damn who invited this ******.....at that moment but on a far lesser extent I knew what my ancestors went through....so I told myself I would never set foot in alabma ever again.......feels like I stepped back into 1950....no other place had I ever been afraid for being half blck

Old 10-28-2010, 11:28 PM

1,956 posts, read 4,563,813 times
ajjam, what makes you say

"roughly same population.....population pretty much spread out identically in the urban areas"

Alabama = 4,708,708
Mississippi = 2,951,996

Alabama has a MSA of over 1 million.....Mississippi doesnt
Alabama has 4 cities with 179,000 or more people within their city proper.
Mississippi has 0 cities with more than 179,000 within their city proper, and actually Jackson is the only one even over 100,000.

Rural Vs. Urban?

of Mississippi's 2,951,996 people, more than half live in rural areas
1,640,270 live in the rural
1,311,726 live in urban areas.

of Alabama's 4,708,708 people, the vast majority live in urban areas. The urban population amount more than doubles the rural.

3,369,132 Urban Alabama pop.
1,339,576 Rural Alabama pop.

with all that said.....how do they have nearly the same pop. with the population being "spread out identically in the urban areas".....????

I mean, Alabama's urban population alone is more than the entire state pop. of Mississippi.

Old 10-28-2010, 11:42 PM

1,956 posts, read 4,563,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
Mississippi any day. On the surface the two hardly resemble each other. Outside of local influence, Alabama is mainly influenced by Atlanta. Mississippi on the other hand has a mixture of influence from Memphis, Dallas, Houston, New Orleans, and Atlanta. Makes for an interesting variety in culture from one corner of the state to the other.
Extreme North Alabama/Tennessee Valley area is more Nashville influenced
Extreme Southern Alabama/Mobile Area = more N.O. influenced....and even neighboring Florida.

How do you find it worth mentioning that some how Mississippi can skip over 2 entire states (Ark and Louisiana) and draw influence from Dallas and Houston.....yet fail to mention Mobile/Extreme Southern Alabama's influence from New Orleans which is only a 2 hr drive away on I-10???

Mardi Gras, anyone?

Old 10-29-2010, 01:54 AM

Those are nice stats but is a state of 4 million that much different than one of 2 million? ? Physically they are identical granted Ala may be 10 or 15 years ahead but these states are almost twins

Old 10-29-2010, 02:08 AM

Those are nice stats but is a state of 4 million that much different than one of 2 million? ? Physically they are identical granted Ala may be 10 or 15 years ahead but these states are almost twins
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City