Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2010, 06:53 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,043,145 times

Advertisements

I want to keep it just to these cities.

The criteria for this thread are basic and simple ones:
- Diversity (2005)
- Diversity (Present Day)

- GDP (2005)
- GDP (Present Day)

- Population (2005)
- Population (Present Day)

- Anything else that can be attributed to the success of any given Metropolitan Division (Fortune 500 companies, Per Capita Incomes, Extension in Public Transit, Downtown Renovations, etc)

I want to get this thread rolling for all the Metropolitan Areas that (MSA & CSA) that have Metropolitan Divisions such as the ones above. This will be a progress report, see which side of the Metropolitan Division is becoming more diverse, which side is growing more economically, which side is growing more in terms of population and so on and so forth.

Anyways this is the introduction paragraph, I'll be in just a few minutes with some of the population works.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2010, 07:46 PM

Population of Metropolitan Divisions:
Miami Metropolitan Division: 2,500,625
Dallas Metropolitan Division: 4,325,997
Baltimore Metropolitan Area: 2,690,886
San Jose Metropolitan Area: 1,839,883
Oakland Metropolitan Division: 2,532,756
Fort Worth Metropolitan Division: 2,121,231
Washington DC Metropolitan Area: 5,476,241
San Francisco Metropolitan Division: 1,785,097
Fort Lauderdale Metropolitan Division: 1,766,476

Source for Dallas Metropolitan Division: Dallas-Plano-Irving, TX Metro Division; Dallas-Fort Worth-Arlington, TX Metro Area - ACS Demographic and Housing Estimates: 2009
Source for Baltimore Metropolitan Area: Baltimore-Towson, MD Metro Area - ACS Demographic and Housing Estimates: 2009
Source for Oakland Metropolitan Division: Oakland-Fremont-Hayward, CA Metro Division; San Francisco-Oakland-Fremont, CA Metro Area - ACS Demographic and Housing Estimates: 2009
Source for Fort Worth Metropolitan Division: Fort Worth-Arlington, TX Metro Division; Dallas-Fort Worth-Arlington, TX Metro Area - ACS Demographic and Housing Estimates: 2009
Source for Washington DC Metropolitan Area: Washington-Arlington-Alexandria, DC-VA-MD-WV Metro Area - ACS Demographic and Housing Estimates: 2009
Source for San Francisco Metropolitan Division: San Francisco-San Mateo-Redwood City, CA Metro Division; San Francisco-Oakland-Fremont, CA Metro Area - ACS Demographic and Housing Estimates: 2009
Source for Miami Metropolitan Division: Miami-Miami Beach-Kendall, FL Metro Division; Miami-Fort Lauderdale-Pompano Beach, FL Metro Area - ACS Demographic and Housing Estimates: 2009
Source for Fort Lauderdale Metropolitan Division: Fort Lauderdale-Pompano Beach-Deerfield Beach, FL Metro Division; Miami-Fort Lauderdale-Pompano Beach, FL Metro Area - ACS Demographic and Housing Estimates: 2009
Source for San Jose Metropolitan Area: San Jose-Sunnyvale-Santa Clara, CA Metro Area - ACS Demographic and Housing Estimates: 2009

Why does Minneapolis-Saint Paul not have a Metropolitan Division like the others?

Economic Output (GDP (Present)): By MSA
San Jose Metropolitan Area: $142.6 Billion
Baltimore Metropolitan Area: $132.0 Billion
Washington DC Metropolitan Area: $396.2 Billion
Dallas-Fort Worth Metropolitan Area: $384.8 Billion
Miami-Fort Lauderdale Metropolitan Area: $257.2 Billion
San Francisco-Oakland Metropolitan Area: $306.1 Billion

Economic Output (GDP (Present)): Metropolitan Divisions
Miami Metropolitan Division: $115.9 Billion
Dallas Metropolitan Division: $258.1 Billion
Oakland Metropolitan Division: $179.6 Billion
Fort Worth Metropolitan Division: $126.6 Billion
San Francisco Metropolitan Division: $126.5 Billion
Fort Lauderdale Metropolitan Division: $81.9 Billion

I already know the traffic for this thread is probably going to be the maximum of like 5 posts, I suspect like other threads I've done like this that most people aren't either smart enough to comprehend what is being said, or since its not affiliated with their cities they don't care whats being said.

I think with the diversity part, 18Montclair can get this going a lot smoother than I can. I'll be back later on with more stuff to add to this.

Old 10-31-2010, 07:57 PM

36,657 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Here's Diversity in 2005:

Highest to Lowest
Oakland, CA .766
San Jose, CA .711
San Francisco, CA .678
Dallas, TX .678
St Paul, MN .593
Washington, DC .589
Ft Lauderdale, FL .582
Minneapolis, MN .579
Miami, FL .497
Baltimore, MD .490

Oakland 2005(Diversity Score: .766)
Black 30.2%
Non Hispanic White 23.5%
Hispanic 24.9%
Asian 16.0%

San Francisco 2005( Diversity Score: .678)
Black 6.2%
Non Hispanic White 43.8%
Hispanic 13.8%
Asian 32.9%

San Jose 2005(Diversity Score: .711)
Black 3.0%
Non Hispanic White 31.6%
Hispanic 31.4%
Asian 30.3%

Washington, DC 2005(Diversity Score: .589)
Black 56.3%
Non Hispanic White 29.5%
Hispanic 8.7%
Asian 2.9%

Ft Lauderdale 2005(Diversity Score: .582)
Black 29.7%
Non Hispanic White 56.7%
Hispanic 9.2%
Asian 2.1%

Miami 2005(Diversity Score: .497)
Black 19.9%
Non Hispanic White 10.8%
Hispanic 67.3%
Asian 0.5%

Baltimore 2005(Diversity Score: .490)
Black 64.8%
Non Hispanic White 29.6%
Hispanic 0.6%
Asian 1.5%

Minneapolis 2005(Diversity Score: .579)
Black 16.2%
Non Hispanic White 61.7%
Hispanic 10.5%
Asian 5.7%

St Paul 2005(Diversity Score: .593)
Black 13.3%
Non Hispanic White 61.6%
Hispanic 8.4%
Asian 13.4%

Dallas 2005(Diversity Score: .670)
Black 23.5%
Non Hispanic White 30.2%
Hispanic 42.1%
Asian 2.7%

Old 10-31-2010, 10:06 PM

1,588 posts, read 4,062,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYY View Post
Economic Output (GDP (Present)): By MSA
Dallas-Fort Worth Metropolitan Area: $384.8 Billion
Miami-Fort Lauderdale Metropolitan Area: $257.2 Billion
San Francisco-Oakland Metropolitan Area: $306.1 Billion
Minneapolis - St. Paul: $192.4 Billion

Old 10-31-2010, 10:24 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,116,346 times
Quote:

I already know the traffic for this thread is probably going to be the maximum of like 5 posts, I suspect like other threads I've done like this that most people aren't either smart enough to comprehend what is being said, or since its not affiliated with their cities they don't care whats being said.

You flatter yourself by thinking that this is complicated. Anyone can look up this crap in 10 minutes, but overall all of the metro areas will become more diverse, grow in GDP, and grow in population. As to where this occurs within these msa's or csa's, you'd have to study census information to be totally accurate, but I'd rather sleep.
Any why is everyone hung up on diversity as an indicator of greatness in a city? It is an indicator of diversity and that's about it, well perhaps some ethnic foods.

Old 10-31-2010, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
You flatter yourself by thinking that this is complicated. Anyone can look up this crap in 10 minutes, but overall all of the metro areas will become more diverse, grow in GDP, and grow in population. As to where this occurs within these msa's or csa's, you'd have to study census information to be totally accurate, but I'd rather sleep.
Any why is everyone hung up on diversity as an indicator of greatness in a city? It is an indicator of diversity and that's about it, well perhaps some ethnic foods.
I'm not flattering myself by making that statement to be honest I feel it to be true. I literally did the calculations for the Metropolitan Division GDP's myself because you cant "look that up" if you can try it and link it to me. Please do. Why do you think I don't have any links under the GDP segments of my post? I'm not one to post something without proof, but its because I calculated it myself. It's not hard but most people here cant comprehensively even figure out what GDP means, so I stand affirm my statements from before.

This is the 7th thread I've made on a a topic that has had to do with statistics, and these are my most dead threads, I talk to some posters on AIM and they believe what I do, that some of the posters on this site just aren't smart enough to comprehend it, thus such low traffic for these.

And no, not every metropolitan area becomes more diverse, or grows in GDP, from 2009 to 2010 Dallas-Fort Worth & Houston are one of the only few who have had GDP growing, the rest actually shrank a bit and enough for Minneapolis to surpass Detroit and other alterations as well. Diversity is a keen topic, because everyone wants to know if they're metro area is diverse, and whats represented and whats not. Be honest, are you not curious about it?

And as for flattering myself, hey if I don't do it, I cant count on you too slo1318! Haha, just kidding.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackOut View Post
Minneapolis - St. Paul: $192.4 Billion
Thanks BlackOut, I couldn't find how to get the Metropolitan Divisions for the Twin Cities.

Old 10-31-2010, 10:48 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,116,346 times
I just thought it curious that you insult those reading the post to begin the thread. Hey, if you are into it then thats great, I applaud you.
The GDP may shrink in small increments in selected metros, but over time all will expand (unless its the end days, or the collapse of the American economy)....haha
I also find it funny that people think diversity is automatically a good thing. I think in rationed doses it is, but it can be very trying for cities and difficult to adjust to social and economically if it happens to quickly.

Old 10-31-2010, 10:56 PM

Quote:
I just thought it curious that you insult those reading the post to begin the thread. Hey, if you are into it then thats great, I applaud you.
Nah I've been very friendly on this site before. I just don't believe in playing around and trying to play fair with every square on this site anymore. I am done arguing with the retardation around here, haha.
Quote:
The GDP may shrink in small increments in selected metros, but over time all will expand (unless its the end days, or the collapse of the American economy)....haha
Yeah pretty much in the long run it should be a gain process, but I think some Metro areas like Detroit, Cleveland, Buffalo, Pittsburgh, have a bit of a struggle when it comes to stabilizing on population loss and GDP growth.
Quote:
I also find it funny that people think diversity is automatically a good thing. I think in rationed doses it is, but it can be very trying for cities and difficult to adjust to social and economically if it happens to quickly.
I personally think the essential topic should be in the eyes and minds of the beholders, I personally prefer more intent cosmopolitan cities that feel wordly, and given every city in the title is as such. Minneapolis itself leads in ethnic diversity having some of the largest ethnicities, and many wouldn't realize that.
Where as my counterparts on this site prefer regional culture or character, which I find overrated. But those are the same people that love to say "My city is solidly Northeastern (or insert any given region here)" like the idiots they are and then say "we're the most cosmopolitan city". You honestly cant have it both ways, its possible but its minimal, and it wouldn't make any city halfway in one of the most in either group.

Last edited by DANNYY; 10-31-2010 at 11:04 PM.. Reason: Forgot a key word

Old 10-31-2010, 11:07 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,789,739 times
Quote:
I want to get this thread rolling for all the Metropolitan Areas that (MSA & CSA) that have Metropolitan Divisions such as the ones above. This will be a progress report, see which side of the Metropolitan Division is becoming more diverse, which side is growing more economically, which side is growing more in terms of population and so on and so forth.
I dont think I have ever seen anybody compare metropolitan divisions before and it sounds pretty interesting. Here are the Fortune 500 companies in DFW. It's a bit more complicated to look at 2005. By the way, is the Bay Area the only Metropolitan Area divided into three divisions?

2006 Fortune 500 Companies
Dallas-Plano-Irving Division 18 companies
Dallas 11
Irving 4
Plano 3

Fort Worth-Arlington Division 4 companies
Fort Worth 4

2010 Fortune 500 Companies
Dallas-Plano-Irving Division 19 companies (Gained 1)
Dallas 12
Irving 5
Plano 2

Fort Worth-Arlington Division 5 companies (Gained 1)
Fort Worth 4
Grapevine 1 (In Fort Worth's County but considered a suburb of both Dallas & Fort Worth)

Old 11-01-2010, 12:52 AM

1,807 posts, read 3,094,759 times
Quote:

Why does Minneapolis-Saint Paul not have a Metropolitan Division like the others?
"Metropolitan division"? I have no idea. But, from the looks of it, it is as arbitrary a figure-- if not more-- than MSA or CMSA, so why not just use those?

MSP's MSA is 3.275 million.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City