U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 06:40 PM

1,083 posts, read 1,485,067 times

Advertisements

I got the idea for this thread from the World Series (Giants vs Rangers). Since North Texas only includes the Dallas/Fort Worth area, by NorCal I am referring only to the San Francisco Bay Area not the northern half of California. These two areas are very similiar in population in the top two populated states.

Which area would you rather live in and why? Discuss and compare population, economy, history, culture, sports scene, politics, and anything else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2010, 06:49 PM

10,171 posts, read 13,139,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dollaztx View Post
Which area would you rather live in and why
Tie between Dallas & San Jose. I feel right at home in Dallas, and its a place I like to be. San Jose I have family there being around them I can handle and the city layout of San Jose is something I am comfortable with. I am familiar enough with San Jose as it is.
Quote:
Discuss and compare population
Well for the moment the Bay Area CSA is more population but if trends continue by next census it wont be the case.
But in terms of MSA, DFW is more populated because San Jose is taken out from San Francisco-Oakland.
Quote:
economy
DFW easily.
Quote:
history
Bay Area easily.
Quote:
culture
Subjective
Quote:
sports scene
Bay Area, I just hate the Dallas Mavericks oh so very much. I don't care for the Cowgirls, FC Dallas, & Rangers. And the Stars are off my radar.
Quote:
politics
Which ever one doesn't have wannabe retards trying to sell me a wristband to "save the whales" and whatever. Thats the one.
Quote:
anything else.
Nothing.

Old 10-29-2010, 06:52 PM

1,694 posts, read 5,136,934 times
How is it NorCal with only SF?
Anyways..SF sweep,just like the World Series

Old 10-29-2010, 06:57 PM

1,083 posts, read 1,485,067 times
Politics

As it stands many would call San Francisco the capital of liberals. North Texas is considered by some as the capital of conservatives (W lives here) even though Dallas votes heavily Democrat.

Old 10-29-2010, 07:14 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,473,389 times
Just to note: I'm rooting for the Rangers to win, because I'm faithful to the LA Dodgers I hope you guys can pull through the next three games and REALLY mess them up in San Francisco

This thread has been done before though:
//www.city-data.com/forum/city-...-san-jose.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/city-...vs-dallas.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/city-...vs-dallas.html

Population (source: http://www.census.gov/popest/metro/tables/2009/CBSA-EST2009-01.csv): (http://www.census.gov/popest/metro/tables/2009/CBSA-EST2009-01.csv%29: - broken link)
San Francisco Bay Area: 7,427,757
Dallas-Fort Worth Area: 6,447,715

The Bay Area has nearly 1 million more people than Dallas-Fort Worth. However, DFW has grown by an astonishing 1.3 million people since 2000, while the Bay Area has grown by a mere 700,000. I wouldn't be that surprised if DFW surpasses the Bay Area's population by sometime this decade. This, of course, comes with the note of saying that the Bay Area and DFW borders stay the same the whole time.

Economy (source: http://www.bea.gov/newsreleases/regi..._metro0909.pdf)
San Francisco Bay Area: $508,418,000,000
Dallas-Fort Worth Area: $379,863,000,000

Demographics (2009):

Bay Area CSA (http://factfinder.census.gov/servlet/ADPTable?_bm=y&-geo_id=33000US488&-qr_name=ACS_2009_1YR_G00_DP5&-context=adp&-ds_name=&-tree_id=309&-_lang=en&-redoLog=false&-format=)
45.0% White Non-Hispanic
6.2% Black Non-Hispanic
23.1% Hispanic
22.0% Asian and Pacific Islander
3.0% Two or more races
US Census Diversity Index: .692

Dallas-Fort Worth CSA (Dallas-Fort Worth, TX CSA - ACS Demographic and Housing Estimates: 2009)
52.8% White Non-Hispanic
13.3% Black
27.1% Hispanic
4.8% Asian and Pacific Islander
1.5% Two or More Races
US Census Diversity Index: .628

Politics (http://www.cookpolitical.com/sites/default/files/pvistate.pdf (broken link)) maps of districts (http://www.govtrack.us/congress/findyourreps.xpd?state=TX): (broken link)
San Francisco Bay Area (CA districts 6-16, then averaged): D +21.5 (meaning the average Democrat will WIN by at least 21.5 points higher than the national average votes for Democrats)
Dallas-Fort Worth Area (TX districts 3,5,6,12,24,26,30,32 averaged) : R+8.375 (the average Republican will WIN by at least 8.375 points HIGHER than the national average votes for Republicans)

Now, down to pro-sports championship winnings (MLB, NBA, NHL, NFL), probably the most RELEVANT thing that should be compared:

Dallas-Fort Worth

Dallas Cowboys: 5 (10 conference)
Texas Rangers: 0 (1 pennant)
Dallas Mavericks: 0 (1 conference)
Dallas Stars: 1 (2 conference)

Total: 6 (14 conference wins/pennants)

San Francisco Bay (*note: Only counting those actually WON in the Bay)
San Francisco 49ers: 5 (5 conference)
San Francisco Giants: 0 (4 pennants in SF)
Oakland Raiders: 2 in Oakland (3 conference in Oakland)
Oakland Athletics: 4 in Oakland (6 pennants in Oakland)
Golden State Warriors: 1 (3 conference titles in the Bay Area)
San Jose Sharks: 0 (0 conference wins)

Total: 12 (21 conference wins/pennants)

Last edited by Lifeshadower; 10-29-2010 at 07:25 PM..

Old 10-29-2010, 07:17 PM

20 posts, read 26,632 times
100 years ago, San Francisco. Now, Dallas.

Old 10-29-2010, 07:40 PM

10,171 posts, read 13,139,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshadower View Post
Just to note: I'm rooting for the Rangers to win, because I'm faithful to the LA Dodgers I hope you guys can pull through the next three games and REALLY mess them up in San Francisco
I'm going for the Giants.
Similar but they weren't the same though. North Texas includes other micropolitan areas that wouldn't be in the equation in the San Jose & Fort Worth threads. Or the Dallas & San Jose thread. I think this should be in interesting thread all in all though.
Quote:
Population (source: http://www.census.gov/popest/metro/tables/2009/CBSA-EST2009-01.csv): (http://www.census.gov/popest/metro/tables/2009/CBSA-EST2009-01.csv%29: - broken link)
San Francisco Bay Area: 7,427,757
Dallas-Fort Worth Area: 6,447,715

The Bay Area has nearly 1 million more people than Dallas-Fort Worth. However, DFW has grown by an astonishing 1.3 million people since 2000, while the Bay Area has grown by a mere 700,000. I wouldn't be that surprised if DFW surpasses the Bay Area's population by sometime this decade. This, of course, comes with the note of saying that the Bay Area and DFW borders stay the same the whole time.
But that's just DFW MSA, right? The Bay Area as one entity (CSA) does have the edge but its not by that much.

Bay Area CSA: 7,427,940 (San Jose-San Francisco-Oakland, CA CSA - ACS Demographic and Housing Estimates: 2009)
DFW CSA: 6,803,314 (Dallas-Fort Worth, TX CSA - ACS Demographic and Housing Estimates: 2009)

The Bay Area only has a jump start of 630,000 or so, and likely lose more ground each year. The trend is still there for this year, and will likely be there for next year (at least) where DFW gets at least a minimum of 120,000 people. So that lead is diminishing quickly as the Bay Area is getting lesser than that amount.

By MSA, DFW is already larger than either San Francisco-Oakland or San Jose MSA. (That's a bit given though).
And its likely that if the trends continue (which I'm not saying is 100% certain) DFW will likely pass up the Bay Area in CSA population by the later end on this decade, but thats given present trends, which can vary completely with real life events at any given moment.
And also the fact that either of the CSA's can add in or lose land and population at any given point, its unpredictable really.
But they're a lot closer than anything else. (Or as close as the 6th and 7th largest CSA's can get)

Quote:

Dallas-Fort Worth

Dallas Cowboys: 5 (10 conference)
Texas Rangers: 0 (1 pennant)
Dallas Mavericks: 0 (1 conference)
Dallas Stars: 1 (2 conference)

Total: 6 (14 conference wins/pennants)

San Francisco Bay (*note: Only counting those actually WON in the Bay)
San Francisco 49ers: 5 (5 conference)
San Francisco Giants: 0 (4 pennants in SF)
Oakland Raiders: 2 in Oakland (3 conference in Oakland)
Oakland Athletics: 4 in Oakland (6 pennants in Oakland)
Golden State Warriors: 1 (3 conference titles in the Bay Area)
San Jose Sharks: 0 (0 conference wins)

Total: 12 (21 conference wins/pennants)
Now this is interesting.

One of these two teams will claim their first championship. Let's see how this goes for them. I'd be okay with either but mostly going for the Giants, Dallas is the rival sports city haha.

Old 10-29-2010, 08:04 PM

4,811 posts, read 8,954,238 times
NorCal

Go Rangers!

I stay with my Padres.

Old 10-29-2010, 09:27 PM

1,939 posts, read 4,061,283 times
Nor Cal, Nor Tx is a hell hole Amarillo...

Old 10-29-2010, 11:51 PM

201 posts, read 415,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden-mind-State View Post
How is it NorCal with only SF?
Anyways..SF sweep,just like the World Series
Eat thos words
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City