Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Cities
Minneapolis 15 55.56%
Cincinnati 1 3.70%
Cleveland 2 7.41%
Pittsburgh 5 18.52%
Kansas City 4 14.81%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2016, 07:33 PM

660 posts, read 658,325 times

Advertisements

When I graduate college, most of the cities I like are in the Midwest. Unfortunately this has not been an easy decision and despite the decision being years away, I am starting to gather people's opinions on the cities I like. Firstly, here are the cities:
[LIST][*]Minneapolis[*]Cleveland[*]Cincinnati[*]Pittsburgh[*]Kansas City[/LIST]
The main criteria I would like you to vote on is this:
[LIST][*]Avalibility Of Jobs In The Computer Science Field[*]Amount Of Younger People[*]Quality Of Restaurants[*]Safety In Downtown[*]Walkability[*]Active Downtown Areas[*]Woods/Water For Hunting & Fishing Outside Of City Limit[*]Sports Stadiums[*]Architecture [/LIST]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2016, 08:10 PM

1,156 posts, read 1,653,945 times
Just curious why St. Louis didn't make the list?

Old 04-11-2016, 08:17 PM

660 posts, read 658,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLgasm View Post
Just curious why St. Louis didn't make the list?
I honestly didn't put too much research into St. Louis.

Old 04-11-2016, 08:33 PM

1,156 posts, read 1,653,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelTheBern View Post
I honestly didn't put too much research into St. Louis.
Based on your criteria, you may want to look into it more. It is glaringly absent from the list and favorably compares in many categories.

Old 04-12-2016, 12:46 PM

1,526 posts, read 1,983,949 times
Quote:
When I graduate college, most of the cities I like are in the Midwest. Unfortunately this has not been an easy decision and despite the decision being years away, I am starting to gather people's opinions on the cities I like. Firstly, here are the cities:
  • Minneapolis
  • Cleveland
  • Cincinnati
  • Pittsburgh
  • Kansas City

• Avalibility Of Jobs In The Computer Science Field
  • Amount Of Younger People
  • Quality Of Restaurants
  • Safety In Downtown
  • Walkability
  • Active Downtown Areas
  • Woods/Water For Hunting & Fishing Outside Of City Limit
  • Sports Stadiums
  • Architecture
Looking at your criteria - Minneapolis

Old 04-12-2016, 12:59 PM

638 posts, read 977,850 times
Columbus should be on here if you're looking for healthy job economy in the midwest

Old 04-12-2016, 01:12 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,434,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarecrow- View Post
Columbus should be on here if you're looking for healthy job economy in the midwest
He said computer science jobs. Columbus is only good for government jobs. Government also not known for advanced computer science. See any government website.

I'm partial to all these cities personally and feel like op should visit to determine which is better. They are all the same general idea place - medium sized metros with comparable economies and cultural amenities.

Old 04-12-2016, 01:36 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,586,970 times
Quote:
  • Minneapolis
  • Cleveland
  • Cincinnati
  • Pittsburgh
  • Kansas City

• Avalibility Of Jobs In The Computer Science Field
  • Amount Of Younger People
  • Quality Of Restaurants
  • Safety In Downtown
  • Walkability
  • Active Downtown Areas
  • Woods/Water For Hunting & Fishing Outside Of City Limit
  • Sports Stadiums
  • Architecture

Of course my screenname implies, perhaps correctly, that I'm a "homer", but Pittsburgh nails most of your criteria.

1.) Carnegie Mellon University (CMU) is here, and they are very reputable for producing some gifted minds on the tech front. As such Pittsburgh is home to expanding offices for Google (East Liberty), Apple (Strip District), and UBER (Strip District and soon Hazelwood). Companies with a smaller presence here include Microsoft (North Shore), Intel (Oakland), Facebook (Oakland), IBM (Squirrel Hill), and Disney (Oakland). There are also some great start-up "app" firms like NoWait (Oakland). I'm a bit of technophobe for a 20-something, so I admittedly don't know the difference between career opportunities for those possessing a "Computer Science" degree vs. those who work in "IT", "Network Administration", "Software Development", etc. From my understanding there are a plethora of tech jobs here these days; however, they also tend to pay less than comparable positions in many other cities.

2.) Allegheny County and the City of Pittsburgh as a whole are losing people overall; however, the population of Millennials, especially in the city, is growing. What you see when you look "on paper" at the continued population decline here is the incessant issue of our relatively high elderly population dying off while our birth rate among younger people remains low.

3.) The "foodie" scene is blossoming these days here in the Steel City. Neighborhoods like Lawrenceville, the Strip District, Shadyside, East Liberty, Garfield, Downtown, Squirrel Hill, Oakland, Bloomfield, South Side Flats, Mt. Washington, Allegheny West, and the Central North Side are home to some excellent eateries.

4.) Our Downtown is quite safe. There is a fair amount of panhandling/vagrancy to contend with; however, other than asking if you can light up a cigarette or spare some change it's harmless. A walk down Smithfield Street, a major Downtown bus route, can be "interesting", to say the least, with plenty of people loudly yammering obscenities into cell phones and blowing cigarette smoke into your face. Overall, though, while our Downtown may have some nuisance "quality-of-life" issues it's still very safe.

5.) Walkability? Pittsburgh is a city of neighborhoods, and we have a variety of business districts where you can accomplish most of your day-to-day needs on foot. The biggest struggle you'll find here compared to, let's say, Minneapolis, which I'd also rank very highly against Pittsburgh, is the topography here. You'll feel like a mountain goat in many cases because our city was built right into the Appalachian Mountains. We have an extensive network of public staircases to link neighborhoods separated by ravines and cliffs. The upshot? The views from the tops of many of these hills and bluffs are spectacular. The East End Plateau features a continuous string of relatively densely-populated neighborhoods that are very interconnected around Oakland (our "eds" and "meds" neighborhood) and East Liberty (an emerging entertainment/tech/retail neighborhood). The topography here is generally flat between these neighborhoods.

6.) This sort of goes hand-in-hand with my response above. Downtown Pittsburgh isn't incredibly lively, but it's improving. Unlike Cleveland, which has a thriving Downtown coupled with a paucity of hip city neighborhoods you'll find Pittsburgh is the inverse---a pretty but "okay" Downtown with several times as many lively walkable neighborhoods in the city proper as Cleveland.

7.) This is one where Minneapolis will certainly beat Pittsburgh out by a LANDSLIDE. Even within the city proper of Minneapolis you have a chain of lakes in the southwestern part of the city that are replete with recreational opportunities. The surrounding areas of Minnesota have some of the best fishing and hunting opportunities in the entire country. To the east of Pittsburgh you have the Laurel Highlands, home to the beautiful Ohiopyle State Park. North of the city are Moraine State Park and McConnell's Mill State Park. Northeast of the city you have some great hunting opportunities in Armstrong and Indiana Counties. South of the city into West Virginia you have Cheat Lake.

8.) I'm prepared for a bevy of Minneapolis homers to box me on this one, but, in my opinion, Pittsburgh's professional athletic facilities are unparalleled for a medium-sized U.S. city. PNC Park (Pirates) is consistently ranked the best ballpark in the country. Heinz Field (Steelers) is a bit "meh", but it's modern and is a quick walk from PNC Park. The Consol Energy Center (Penguins) is great. With any luck I'll be able to find the money soon to buy tickets to see Coldplay when they perform there. The Riverhounds (our soccer team that is a step below MLS) have a great facility, too.

9.) Out of all the cities you listed I'm willing to fight with all the homers on here that Pittsburgh, overall, has the best architecture. Minneapolis compromised a lot of its historic architecture with failed mid-Century urban redevelopment projects. There are some stately gorgeous old homes in the Southwestern "lakes" part of the city, though. Neighboring St. Paul has some great Downtown architecture and a gorgeous, large, leafy, liberal neighborhood (Summit Hill? Summit Park?) to the west of Downtown. Cleveland? We love the city and plan to visit there for a day-trip this coming Saturday, actually. Architecture isn't one of its strong points, though, outside of Downtown treasures like the Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame, Playhouse Square, and the Cleveland Arcade. Ohio City is pretty awesome, but it's also tiny. The West Side Market Building there is amazing. There are some great cultural amenities and architectural gems in/around University Circle/Case Western Reserve's campus. You'll find people on the Cleveland sub-forum have some sort of weird obsession with Tremont and Detroit-Shoreway, but I found both neighborhoods to be underwhelming architecturally when I saw them in person---perhaps because they would be just "typical" neighborhoods in Pittsburgh. Kansas City? Meh. Just meh. It's a nice city, but it's not the city that comes to mind when you want to be blown away by architecture. That leaves Cincinnati. I've often remarked how similar Cincinnati and Pittsburgh can feel in many ways, and architecture there is no slouch! I'd still give the edge to Pittsburgh, but Cincinnati would be my second-place pick of that list for architecture, followed by Minneapolis, followed by Cleveland, followed by Kansas City.

Old 04-12-2016, 04:55 PM

1,526 posts, read 1,983,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
8.) I'm prepared for a bevy of Minneapolis homers to box me on this one, but, in my opinion, Pittsburgh's professional athletic facilities are unparalleled for a medium-sized U.S. city. PNC Park (Pirates) is consistently ranked the best ballpark in the country. Heinz Field (Steelers) is a bit "meh", but it's modern and is a quick walk from PNC Park. The Consol Energy Center (Penguins) is great. With any luck I'll be able to find the money soon to buy tickets to see Coldplay when they perform there. The Riverhounds (our soccer team that is a step below MLS) have a great facility, too.
Great post SteelCity. PNC Park is one of the best stadiums in the country. Target Field is no slouch though.

One major difference is that Minneapolis and St. Paul will have 10 major major stadiums / arenas either on or within a short walking distance of light-rail transit. Target Field, Target Center, US Bank Stadium, TCF Bank Stadium, Williams Arena, Mariucci Arena, Ridder Arena, the new MN United FC (MLS) stadium, CHS Field, and Xcel Energy Center are all accessible via light rail. All, but Williams, Mariucci, and Ridder host concerts.

Old 04-12-2016, 05:01 PM

1,099 posts, read 1,427,533 times
Where ever the best first step for your career is
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City