Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2016, 10:09 PM

1 posts, read 1,118 times

Advertisements

So, here's my story. 32, single female, accountant. From Midwest, lived in Chicago for 10 years. Good job, good apartment, lots of friends. However, I have always loved California and had a desire to move there. First was interested in LA, did a work rotation there for 7 weeks in 2012, had chance to move at the end. Decided not to, I missed Chicago and how easy it was to get around there and the more down to earth people. Went to SF first time shortly after and loved it, reminded me of Chicago.And have gone a few times since.

Fast forward a few years, and I still haven't been able to shake the idea of moving there, so I went on a couple interviews. Now I have an offer to go there (increase in salary will wash out increase in rent), so that's not an issue. My issue is trying to figure out if this is a "grass is greener" situation. I like chicago, but I feel I have grown out the "party town" side of it, there's lots of young people, drinking, clubs etc. Although I am content , I feel like a new city would help re energize me. Its nicer weather, from what I have seen out there , dating is better (at least for me as I like the intellectual types and intellectual conversations and guys seem more aggressive there, maybe because there are less women?), and there's a lot of new things to experience, more nature, closer weekend getaways etc. Everyone says "you can move back if you don't like it". But can you? I mean, maybe, but its a pain to move, maybe if I didn't like it, I'd just stay there to avoid having to move again!

And yes, I know this has been posted numerous times in different formats because I have read ALL of them lol. Hoping to get more feedback/advice/thoughts applicable to my set of circumstances. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2016, 08:17 AM

6,843 posts, read 10,986,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlondeInChicago View Post
I have always loved California and had a desire to move there.
Then do it.

You said you already have a job offer in San Francisco. You said the cost of living doesn't matter to you. You said you feel you've "outgrown" the Chicago scene. You said that you've been living in Chicago for ten years now (that's a long time). Then do it, move to California. At the bare minimum it would be a whole new living and working experience and environment for you, one that you wouldn't get an equivalent to in Chicago.

Last edited by Trafalgar Law; 04-05-2016 at 08:27 AM..

Old 04-05-2016, 08:43 AM

6,772 posts, read 4,539,290 times
As is for anyone, it's totally up to you what you're looking for in terms of CHI Vs. SF. Living costs are WAY more in SF (which would be a deal-breaker for me personally), but you said that wasn't an issue. So just weigh everything out in your own personal circumstances. Just be careful with the "grass-is-greener" thing and fantasies about places other than where you're living at a given time. Reality has a way of shattering our rose-colored glasses and unreasonable expectations. Moving "often" and having to feel perpetually stimulated will have you never really feeling satisfied anywhere you move, generally speaking. I've seen that so much in this day and time. Not saying that's your situation, just the "dad" coming out in me, lol. I have 4 kids (20-25) and have had these types of conversations many times. Anyway, good luck in your search.

Old 04-05-2016, 05:14 PM

37,237 posts, read 39,519,313 times
Yea, not seeing any major reasons to not make the move. The only thing is maybe you'll miss being away from family. The down-to-earth people thing that you missed while you're in LA isn't exactly in greater abundance in SF either, but you'll probably find enough. One thing is if you feel that the job opportunity in SF also seems to have good room to grow. SF definitely has an edge to it that's driven by constantly trying advance your career or to make more.

And yes, people can totally move again.

Old 04-05-2016, 07:24 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,136,048 times
Do it, you wont regret it as a season of life even if you move back.

Old 04-05-2016, 08:55 PM

3,569 posts, read 7,209,431 times
I am a Chicagoan and have visited SF.
I love it.
It's probably the only city I'd move to.(Not place, just city)

Only thing is the cost of living.
But since you have no problem with that...
Then I see no reason not to.

Only thing I hated about SF is the drastic temperature fluctuations. blah

Old 04-05-2016, 09:04 PM

1,227 posts, read 1,596,920 times
Quote:
So, here's my story. 32, single female, accountant. From Midwest, lived in Chicago for 10 years. Good job, good apartment, lots of friends. However, I have always loved California and had a desire to move there. First was interested in LA, did a work rotation there for 7 weeks in 2012, had chance to move at the end. Decided not to, I missed Chicago and how easy it was to get around there and the more down to earth people. Went to SF first time shortly after and loved it, reminded me of Chicago.And have gone a few times since.

Fast forward a few years, and I still haven't been able to shake the idea of moving there, so I went on a couple interviews. Now I have an offer to go there (increase in salary will wash out increase in rent), so that's not an issue. My issue is trying to figure out if this is a "grass is greener" situation. I like chicago, but I feel I have grown out the "party town" side of it, there's lots of young people, drinking, clubs etc. Although I am content , I feel like a new city would help re energize me. Its nicer weather, from what I have seen out there , dating is better (at least for me as I like the intellectual types and intellectual conversations and guys seem more aggressive there, maybe because there are less women?), and there's a lot of new things to experience, more nature, closer weekend getaways etc. Everyone says "you can move back if you don't like it". But can you? I mean, maybe, but its a pain to move, maybe if I didn't like it, I'd just stay there to avoid having to move again!

And yes, I know this has been posted numerous times in different formats because I have read ALL of them lol. Hoping to get more feedback/advice/thoughts applicable to my set of circumstances. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Honestly, you should try it out for a year and see how you like it. Life is insanely short to do the same thing over and over again and expect something different. To an extent, there is always a "grass is greener" mentality somewhere else and I understand the emotional attachment you have to a place after living there for a while.

However, just remember that Chicago isn't going anywhere should you decide to make the move. Many of your friends will still be there if you choose to come back.

You should honestly just follow your instinct here. If you think that the net benefit outweighs the net harm, make the move.

Old 04-05-2016, 11:28 PM

37,237 posts, read 39,519,313 times
Also, if it is a grass is greener thing, moving back is fine. You don't like it? Feel goodnthat there's a home base that you did like. If you don't like SF, then it might help in making you like Chicago even more. Just make sure that your move to SF isn't a downgrade for your career.

Old 04-05-2016, 11:42 PM

2,694 posts, read 3,198,711 times
Quote:

There's certainly more to Chicago than just the "party town" side of it, but I'd say give San Francisco a shot. Yes, you can always move back, as Chicago will always be here, and yes, moving sucks, but it sounds like you already have the hardest part figured out. You have a job lined up in San Francisco, and it sounds like finding a job in Chicago wouldn't be too difficult for you if you wanted to come back.

Since it sounds like money isn't too big of an issue right now, you could always sell most of your furniture from Chicago and re-buy what you need once you have a place out in SF. That would probably be easier than lugging an entire apartment full of furniture 2/3 of the way across the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City