Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 12:28 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,300,881 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
I'd put Charlotte with Raleigh before I'd put it with Richmond. Metrolina+Research Triangle would be one powerful kick butt metro.
I was just about to say that. For comparison sake I will refer to the Raleigh MSA, which would replace the Durham MSA with the Charlotte MSA. I would assume the new CSA name would be Charlotte-Raleigh-Cary. It would probably be the size on Minneapolis-St.Paul but with a GDP of $172 Billion. Pretty impressive. You wouldn't have Duke or Chapel Hill but you'd have UNC Charlotte, NC State, and a host of HBCUs, Queens University of Charlotte, Winthrop, Meredith, among other schools. I'd say the college line up is still impressive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2010, 02:35 AM

1,160 posts, read 2,959,200 times
Chicago and San Francisco. Those two metros combined would be an incredible power.

Old 11-10-2010, 02:38 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,732,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Footballfreak View Post
and hard core conservatives and hard core liberals. YIKES!
Clearly, when it comes to natural disasters, liberals prefer earthquakes and conservatives prefer tornadoes.

Old 11-10-2010, 02:39 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,732,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
The so-called Tech Belt

Pittsburgh - Youngstown - Cleveland
Throw Akron in there too. Do the research and development in Pittsburgh and Akron, and build the stuff in Cleveland and Youngstown. Bingo.

Old 11-10-2010, 03:05 AM

1,694 posts, read 5,680,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayp1188 View Post
Chicago and San Francisco. Those two metros combined would be an incredible power.

I think we could even get away with swallowing up everything between these cities..
Yea,first Iowa Nebraska Kansas Colorado Utah Nevada Missouri and Wyoming,and then the world!

Old 11-10-2010, 08:10 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,300,881 times
Staying in the Carolina's, I would like to see Wilmington and Charleston, Durham and Winston, Columbia and Greensboro. Going outside of my state, I wouldn't mind seeing Charlotte and Atlanta, Pittsburgh and Birmingham, Chicago and Toronto, Seattle and Minneapolis, Houston and Dallas, Denver and Sal Lake, Phoenix and ABQ, Cleveland and St. Louis, Philly and Baltimore.

Perhaps one I'd really like to see is Charlotte and Indianapolis or Charlotte and Columbus.

Old 11-10-2010, 04:19 PM

571 posts, read 1,172,907 times
Seattle & San Francisco- would be a national center for technology, education, finance, and a very dominant, very urban metro. I wouldn't mind seeing Seattle paired up with Portland, Vancouver, Minneapolis, or Denver either.

Old 11-10-2010, 04:43 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,860,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
Staying in the Carolina's, I would like to see Wilmington and Charleston, Durham and Winston, Columbia and Greensboro. Going outside of my state, I wouldn't mind seeing Charlotte and Atlanta, Pittsburgh and Birmingham, Chicago and Toronto, Seattle and Minneapolis, Houston and Dallas, Denver and Sal Lake, Phoenix and ABQ, Cleveland and St. Louis, Philly and Baltimore.

Perhaps one I'd really like to see is Charlotte and Indianapolis or Charlotte and Columbus.
Since this entire exercise is hypothetical, why so many cities that are already alike? You'd just be creating metros that are bigger versions than what they already are. I think it would be much more interesting to see cities that compliment each other be paired up. For instance, combining Charlotte and Charleston would give you a great skyline, a dense and historic urban core, major league professional sports, great cuisine, a great variety of educational institutions, natural water features, and an awesome nightlife. Now THAT would be a kick-ass metro!

Old 11-10-2010, 04:47 PM

2,491 posts, read 4,467,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDBaumgardner View Post
I'd love to see a merger of Cleveland and Columbus, resulting in a fabulous midwest metropolis to rival Chicago ...

Take the outstanding wealth of cultural endowments in Cleveland ... the museums, orchestra and Playhouse Square, along with the WORLD CLASS HEALTHCARE of Cleveland Clinic and University Hospitals, and beautiful and spacious suburban areas ... "and combine all of these elements with the many strengths of burgeoning Columbus" ... a youthful, vibrant and growing city that offers many amenities in it's own right.

The merger of these two cities would create a city of "Worldly Stature", thus being one of Americas largest and most vital metro areas.
Cowtown offers Cleveland nothing. Columbus is far too generic and suburban with a singular attribute as being home to a Big Ten university. It really has more in common with Champaign, Ill., than it does with Cleveland.

Old 11-10-2010, 04:48 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,860,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abr7rmj View Post
Cowtown offers Cleveland nothing.
I'd say positive growth and a better reputation constitute something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City