Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 11:58 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,766,049 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdwell View Post
Oh, c'mon now. I don't see any more Texans getting speeding tickets than anyone else from another state or La. Reasoning being for tickets-speeding. You guys and Miss-Ala-Ga are always going over 80. La troopers write tickets for that. Slow down. BTW- watch yourself on the 2 laners- speed limit over here is 55 on those, not 70. You are asking for it esp. in good old Claiborne parish. Hope I didn't steer this thread off topic too bad.
Interesting comments. Georgia can be strict on speeding tickets, but there is a little clarifier/catch... We have some interesting anti-speed trap laws and with a few exceptions it is hard (not impossible) for an officer to give a driver a ticket unless that are going a full 10 mph over the speed limit. State law doesn't allow certain speed detection devices to be used if a car is going 9 mph over the speed limit or less.

Most Georgians drive with a mentality that its ok to go 10 over, but after that you are starting to take risks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2010, 12:22 AM

4,230 posts, read 10,481,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankhharu View Post
- Texas (influences Arkansas, Louisiana and Oklahoma)

I would remove Louisiana from that equation. Its almost safe to say the vast majority, lest the top quarter Shreveport area, loathes all things Texas and try to distant from it, staying more true to deep south heritage and other non-Texas influences. . As a Texas resident from Mississippi. I'm basing that on 20+ interstate trips through Louisiana with Texas plates. Conversations with friends and family that live in Louisiana, etc. I can't tell you how many times myself and others have been harrassed by local LA law enforcement simply becasue we had Texas plates. In fact, to this day, my only speeding ticket is in Louisiana before I was aware of this. Since then, no issues as I always find a way to point out that i'm not a Texan. GF has some stories too. Texas arrogance tends to annoy Louisiana residents more so than the other surrounding states.
Have you ever been to South Louisiana??

Old 11-12-2010, 10:16 AM

7,411 posts, read 10,383,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJKirkland View Post
Not sure I agree with that. Washington (specifically Western Washington) is quite powerful on its own. Washington dominates Idaho, Montana, Oregon, and to a point, BC and Alaska. The most powerful economic center in the Northwest is located here. We really don't look to California as an example, other than an example of what not to do. California is huge population and land area wise, but its prominence and influence is faltering quickly. There is a reason many are leaving Cali for the progressive metros in the North.
Rather provincial thinking. The Northwest is progressive, in part because of California. For example, the first state to allow medicinal marijuana was California and then all the other Western states followed. California was the first state where the state legislature voted for gay marriage; that has yet to be done in Washington but it will soon. California was the first state to take on environmental issues; the Pacific Northwest followed. Much of what makes Portland and Seattle liberal is the influence of San Francisco\ Berkeley on the Northwest. Before the housing bubble burst; the outflow of wealthy Californians into Oregon and Washington was significant and a reason why housing went skylight in those two states. There was resentment of California immigrants but it stimulated the economy of both states.

California casts a giant shadow that includes the entire West Coast.

Old 11-12-2010, 10:49 AM

2,516 posts, read 5,686,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
Have you ever been to South Louisiana??
I grew up 90 miles from New Orleans. Have a multitude of relatives in Slidell, New Orleans, and Baton Rouge. Been countless times excluding the drive through's.

That would be a yes.

Old 11-12-2010, 11:23 AM

1,581 posts, read 2,823,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
Rather provincial thinking. The Northwest is progressive, in part because of California. For example, the first state to allow medicinal marijuana was California and then all the other Western states followed. California was the first state where the state legislature voted for gay marriage; that has yet to be done in Washington but it will soon. California was the first state to take on environmental issues; the Pacific Northwest followed. Much of what makes Portland and Seattle liberal is the influence of San Francisco\ Berkeley on the Northwest. Before the housing bubble burst; the outflow of wealthy Californians into Oregon and Washington was significant and a reason why housing went skylight in those two states. There was resentment of California immigrants but it stimulated the economy of both states.

California casts a giant shadow that includes the entire West Coast.
Oh wow I would have to disagree California's dark shadow has not been cast on the northwest. Point in general are economy is not faltering are unemployment rate is much lower. Are companys Microsft,Amazon.Boeing,Nordstroms,Starbucks,R.E.I, Costco and many more have been started by Northwest people with no ties to California. If anything Seattles Coffee culture has spread across the world. And when they think of the northwest culture and the companies that shape it they think of Seattle. And realy theres no ballots or legislation to brring gay marriage to Washington not saying its wrong or right just not an issue in Washington . The Californians moving into washington were not wealthy thats the reason they moved looking for jobs in are better economy. We have are own wealth and own economy and its not tied to california. If Californians didn't move into washington it would have been people from another state to fill the jobs created by are economy.To say the reason Seattle booms is beacuse Califorians move up here and get jobs is crazy. I think are companies would be fine with workers from another state.Untill California starts sending companies up north and millionaires I think Were not realy tied in any way to California. We even have a differn't culture and way of life the California lifestyle is way differen't than the Pacific northwest lifestyle.

Old 11-12-2010, 03:08 PM

3,338 posts, read 6,896,892 times
Utah is not dominant over any state, sure the LDS membership spills into surrounding states and most others in the west, but Utah is far from dominant, the state just harbors a unique culture. Utah is its own little world, strange world. If anything Utah probably wish's they were more like Idaho, Colorado, and Arizona. No way is Utah domimant over the states in the list. All of the states surrounding Utah enjoy more freedoms than Utah itself. People in Utah head to Idaho, Colorado, and other neighbor states to play the lottery, buy real beer, and shop for much larger selections of wine than available in their theocracy.

Old 11-12-2010, 03:25 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,481,890 times
Quote:
I grew up 90 miles from New Orleans. Have a multitude of relatives in Slidell, New Orleans, and Baton Rouge. Been countless times excluding the drive through's.

That would be a yes.
So be it, that nowhere near describes the South Louisiana that I grew up in. I'm assuming that the 90 miles out of New Orleans was in Mississippi , since if it was any other direction you probably would have claimed Baton Rouge or Houma/Thibodaux.

Quote:
- Texas (influences Arkansas, Louisiana and Oklahoma)

I would remove Louisiana from that equation. Its almost safe to say the vast majority, lest the top quarter Shreveport area, loathes all things Texas and try to distant from it, staying more true to deep south heritage and other non-Texas influences. . As a Texas resident from Mississippi. I'm basing that on 20+ interstate trips through Louisiana with Texas plates. Conversations with friends and family that live in Louisiana, etc. I can't tell you how many times myself and others have been harrassed by local LA law enforcement simply becasue we had Texas plates. In fact, to this day, my only speeding ticket is in Louisiana before I was aware of this. Since then, no issues as I always find a way to point out that i'm not a Texan. GF has some stories too. Texas arrogance tends to annoy Louisiana residents more so than the other surrounding states.
Since 2 out of 5 Louisiana residents in the southeast corner of Louisiana have Texas plates, that whole being singled out thing is somewhat flawed. I have heard rumors of such in northern Louisiana though. Also from my experiences Mississippians are more likely to be discriminated against than someone from Texas.

Old 04-18-2011, 08:53 PM

29 posts, read 53,924 times
North Carolina influences Virginia? Maybe if there are a lot of BB&T or BofA branches around. I don't really think that's true. If anything influences Virginia it's the District if Columbia!

Old 04-18-2011, 08:55 PM

9,378 posts, read 9,323,920 times
NJ does have a coastline, so it still would be desirable if it wasnt for PA and NY.

Old 04-18-2011, 09:37 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,300,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonfan96 View Post
North Carolina influences Virginia? Maybe if there are a lot of BB&T or BofA branches around. I don't really think that's true. If anything influences Virginia it's the District if Columbia!
Quoted for emphasis and agreement. I grew up in VA, 20 miles from the NC border, and VA is more "DC-focused" than anything else. Hail to the Redskins.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City