Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 02:11 PM

5,546 posts, read 6,874,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Yup. The thing that is especially tough in comparing these two is that the light rail of Portland is basically the entire rail system. Boston's is simply a line within a larger system.

In this post, AJNEOA seems to believe that gives Portland the advantage as the better system.
Not at all. As I mentioned earlier, I was simply trying to use it as an example to make people think about the best way to establish the "top" system. I get that Boston's system is the best. At this point (after a few other posters have also disagreed), perhaps I picked a poor example.

Quote:
While I agree you can't necessarily base which system is "best" based on ridership numbers...you can't fault the Boston system for not being as comprehensive as Portland's. The reason being because it's not trying to be a full system like Portland's is. It would be similar to saying Adrian Peterson is better than Tom Brady because he's faster and more powerful...what you say is true, but Tom Brady isn't trying to run through people.

However I think you can argue which system achieves its goal better/more efficiently.
This is part of what I was trying to get at. I was trying to say that if you're going to isolate LR systems and rank them, what is the dependency on the surrounding infrastructure? Basically, is the LR system cashing in on a surrounding system that is so strong that it is basically feeding the LR system...thus making it an unfair comparison?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2010, 02:15 PM

Quote:
But by this metric, shouldn't we only be measuring the population of the towns/cities covered by light rail? Though Boston's metro encompasses 4.5 million people, it's unreasonable to think that someone living in Hingham (about 20 miles southeast of the city) would be using the Green Line as a means of daily transportation.
This is a good point. I'd be interested in seeing the service area pop. numbers. I'm not sure how to get them, but what percentage of the population areas are using the LR?

Old 12-03-2010, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryAlan View Post
There are actually 5 LR lines in Boston. They are collectively labeled as the "Green Line," but people who live here refer to their separate designations (B, C, D, E, M).

As for your other point, the fact of the LR interacting with HR is part of what makes it a better system. Having the HR lines connect is a strength, and not something that should diminish the success of the LR.

[edit to add]
Some of the heavy rail lines in Boston were converted from light rail (see for example, the Blue Line) or were built specifically to replace existing trolley networks (Red and Orange lines). That is an example of the system being improved. Hopefully Portland's light rail system will someday be so successful that it needs to be replaced with heavy rail.
I certainly am no expert on Portland's LR system, but I would guess they won't be able to convert them to HR, even if they needed to. They run within the streets all through the city. There's no tunneling in downtown currently.

Old 12-03-2010, 03:37 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
BTW, for DART in Dallas, the new green line will begin full service starting Monday.

The stations in yellow opened last year and the downtown stations have already been there servicing the other lines. The rest of the green line is now ready for service.

Also, a new infill station on the blue line opens tomorrow. Which is the Lake Highlands station. It sits between White Rock and LBJ station.

Should be an exciting week for Dallas and DART. I think this line will push ridership over 80,000 and with the hopeful of new TOD's, it can be even better.
Here's a short video of the entire green line and they stop at every station.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbNXi...layer_embedded

Old 12-10-2010, 12:31 AM

554 posts, read 1,196,993 times
Could someone tell me how DART Rail ridership is listed on Wikipedia as 58,000 daily? Everything I have googled about DART Rail ridership, including articles in the Dallas Morning News and the Dallas Business Journal addressing the decline in ridership, state that DART Rail ridership is at 66,000 daily. Can anyone tell me where to find the source of these numbers? Furthermore, it appears that some goober can't even go to dart.org and see that the system length is 72 miles and not 69 miles. Only slightly off but honestly, don't post "information" to Wikipedia if you can't even go to DART's website and simply copy the correct information! Okay, done venting.

Old 12-10-2010, 12:59 AM

450 posts, read 1,407,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TowerGuy View Post
Could someone tell me how DART Rail ridership is listed on Wikipedia as 58,000 daily? Everything I have googled about DART Rail ridership, including articles in the Dallas Morning News and the Dallas Business Journal addressing the decline in ridership, state that DART Rail ridership is at 66,000 daily. Can anyone tell me where to find the source of these numbers? Furthermore, it appears that some goober can't even go to dart.org and see that the system length is 72 miles and not 69 miles. Only slightly off but honestly, don't post "information" to Wikipedia if you can't even go to DART's website and simply copy the correct information! Okay, done venting.
It appears wikipedia's source for the 57,700 number is this link: http://www.apta.com/resources/statis...rship_APTA.pdf

Those are the official numbers registered with the American Public Transportation Association for the First Quarter of 2010. The numbers could be different now that it is December.

The second quarter report shows ridership at 58,400 for DART. http://www.apta.com/resources/statis...rship_APTA.pdf

Old 12-10-2010, 07:30 AM

554 posts, read 1,196,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coo77 View Post
It appears wikipedia's source for the 57,700 number is this link: http://www.apta.com/resources/statis...rship_APTA.pdf

Those are the official numbers registered with the American Public Transportation Association for the First Quarter of 2010. The numbers could be different now that it is December.

The second quarter report shows ridership at 58,400 for DART. http://www.apta.com/resources/statis...rship_APTA.pdf
Thank you very much. I will definitely bookmark that site.

Old 12-10-2010, 12:11 PM

228 posts, read 397,839 times
[SIZE=5] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=6]Light rails pack a punch for real estate industry[/SIZE]

[SIZE=6][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]12:00 AM CST on Friday, December 10, 2010

[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1][/SIZE]

I guess it was a coincidence that the same week DART started up its jazzy new light-rail line, the city of Fort Worth bailed on efforts to build its own light-rail system – aka a streetcar.
The good folks in Fort Worth were seemingly unconvinced that the starter streetcar line would be a significant economic development engine. Perhaps they're right.
But over on the Dallas side of the metro area, DART's light-rail line – now the country's largest – is credited with adding close to $8 billion to the tax rolls.
After a pause for the recession, the Green Line is likely to put even more juice to the local real estate business.
What a difference a couple of decades makes.
Back in the early 1980s, when DART launched the first leg of its train line, most local real estate types were as skeptical of the value of the system as Fort Worth City Council members are now.
I remember one office-building manager along North Central Expressway telling me how happy the landlord was that the new DART rail station wasn't near their property.
How's that working out for you, chief?
Anyone who's traveled farther than Waco should know that transit systems – just like airports and major thoroughfares – are Red Bull for the real estate business.
Commuter trains make it easier for employees, shoppers and visitors to access areas around the stations.
Even homebuyers and renters who don't use DART rail have told me that they like having access to the station. (Just wait until gasoline hits $4, and they'll absolutely love it.)
DART's train system has fueled the development of several big mixed-use centers, including Mockingbird Station and Park Lane in Dallas and Richardson's Galatyn Park.
It has prompted redevelopment in downtown Plano and downtown Garland.
In Las Colinas' Urban Center, developers have built projects or are planning ways to take advantage of the DART Orange Line that's opening in 2012.
Along the Green Line that opened this week, one developer – PRG Group – has tied up land for a mixed-use project at the Inwood rail station.
And it's just a matter of time before other projects get going.
A stronger credit market and economy would help, of course.
Next to one of the shiny new transit stations in Carrollton, I spied an empty big-box center and several tracts of raw land ideally suited for the kind of apartment and retail projects you see in West Plano and Richardson.
In the old downtown areas of Farmers Branch and Carrollton, projects are being talked about that will help revitalize those districts.
Rail transit is still a hard sell for some critics.
They don't want it, don't like it and believe it's too expensive.
I'm sure that back in the day, opponents of East Coast and European transit systems had a long list of don't likes about those projects as well.
But the way I look at it, anyone who's riding that train – whether it's 1,000 or 10,000 commuters – isn't on the highway getting between me and where I want to go. Over time, the DART rail line is remaking the real estate landscape in North Texas, just as railroads and freeway systems did decades ago. div#article_tools_bottom a{ font-size:9px;}

Old 07-24-2015, 10:05 AM

110 posts, read 124,612 times
Default Street Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadruple or Nothing View Post
Depends how much right of way the light rail line has.....
If its in mixed traffic its whole route then that'll make it slower, however if its on it own right a way for some or most of its route then It'll be a lot faster since it doesn't have to wait at traffic lights and such.
I always thought that was street cars function. Light-rail vehicles have their own 'right of way' using former railroad routes. And we know heavy-rail is grade separated (elevated, embankment or ground level). Light-rail and Heavy-rail vehicles are longer and consist of more than 1 vehicle. Heavy-rail runs more frequently than commuter rail, which might explain why they are not crossings built within their systems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City