Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Metro Charlotte 52 50.00%
Raleigh-Durham (Triangle) 52 50.00%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 03:19 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,860,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by prwfromnc View Post
In the early 2000's, Greensboro was DEAD, hence the nickname Greensboring! Elm Street has improved since then, but it is far from being superior to Charlotte's nightlife, where there are other areas outside of Uptown where people can go and party! I lived in both Charlotte and Greensboro between 2000-2002, and I thought that Charlotte had a decent scene then, but Charlotte has definately come a long way since then!
Overall Charlotte does better than Greensboro in the nightlife department, but to give some credit to Greensboro, I do think that Elm Street does better than Tryon Street in terms of nightlife. I remember the first time I rode along Elm Street at night--I was floored that Greensboro had that amount of activity on the street at night. It was pretty impressive. But Charlotte has some life on the side streets off Tryon (most notably Trade and 5th streets), whereas it seems that Elm doesn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2010, 12:01 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,300,881 times
What also helps Gboro and Raleigh are the amounts of college kids in the area. For example, UNCC makes the somewhat suburban area of University City very hopping due to the various party spots (Boardwalk Billy's catered to college kids. Outside of JWU, and the smaller liberal arts school of JCSU, Charlotte doesn't have that in city center. But now, with Epicenter and other attractions going on DT, I think Charlotte is the best nightlife in NC. But, IMO< house parties rule...when I used to party.

Old 12-09-2010, 06:09 AM

1,037 posts, read 2,046,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metro.m View Post
Raleigh's nightlife isn't spread out at all, it's very dense in many locations. Many people like looking at Charlotte's beautiful skyline setting while out and about. I definitely can understand that being a big contributing factor for Charlotte's nightlife, and the rail line as well. I don't think it's based solely on establishments. Raleigh probably has more night scene establishments downtown than Uptown Charlotte.

Raleigh has the largest Art museum in North Carolina. The Triangle as a whole is a very artsy and liberal area, so the art scene is pretty much a part of the culture here. First Friday in Raleigh is a big example of this. Raleigh's numerous art gallerys become like party houses all over downtown! During the summer months, the streets are packed every First Friday with musicians, artists, performers all of the Downtown are and abroad.
I am sorry to do this but I have to put you in your place;

For starters lets clear up the whole Greensboro thing; Greensboro's night life is terrible unless you are in college. All the bars and clubs are for college students and to be honest that is probably a grand total of ten in downtown Greensboro. i also have lived here as a college student and moved back as an adult now so trust me its dead if you are over 23.

Secondly, does downtown Raleigh have this:

Charlotte:

Epicentre-shopping/retail/restaurants/bowling alley/movie theatre
TimeWarner Arena- NBA Bobcats/Hockey/Concerts/CIAA/ACC Tournament/NCAA tournament

Bank of America Stadium- NFL Panthers/ ACC Football Championship/ Meineke Bowl

Bechtler Museum of Art
Mint Museum of Art
Gant African American Museum
Levine Museum of the New South
Discovery Place/planetarium
ImaGinon-kids library/play area/performing arts
Bluementhal Center
Spirit Square
Main Library
Splash Planet- indoor waterpark
Nascar Hall of Fame
Aquatic Center
First Ward park/rec.
5 YMCAs
Gateway Village
Central piedmont Community College- main Campus
UNCC- downtown campus
Wake Forest-downtown campus
Johnson and Wales-downtown campus
Overstreet Mall- restaurants/retail
Downtown trolleys
Light Rail- runs right through uptown
street car network--new
Midtown--- mall/ shopping areas/restaurants
Southend-- restaurants/bars/clubs
Elizabeth/hawthorne--restaurants/bars
Downtown Harris Teeter
Downtown Convention Center
Charlotte Bus Terminal

Plus over 200 restaurants and night spots combined.

Now Raleigh has come along way but in all honesty it can't touch Charlotte.

Old 12-09-2010, 06:14 AM

631 posts, read 1,290,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Banks aren't going to "kill" Charlotte. Despite crises, banks play a foundational role in the nation's economy and aren't going anywhere.
To be more exact, banks make up 65% of our overall GDP (economy).

Old 12-09-2010, 08:40 AM

2,742 posts, read 6,749,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metro.m View Post
Well that must be your OPINION, because Raleigh has a night scene just as lively, if not more so than Charlotte's. Epicentre is awesome, but it takes more than that. Raleigh's nigtlife dowtown is broken down into districts, thats not counting all of the numerous night clubs and lounges spread throughout the city. Durham and especialy Chape hill have night scenes as well. The variety and abundance of night life in RDU outweighs the Charlotte metro sorry. Charlotte indeed offers more daytime activity however, Depending on what you are in to.
There’s more to Charlotte than the EpiCentre. There’s a little area called NoDa where on weekend nights it has the same urban vibe you say is missing outside of Uptown. And there’s also the NC Music Factory off of Uptown, it’s a renovated conglomerate of warehouses that have been turned into clubs and concert venues. There’s also Montford Drive in the SouthPark area, which is another vibrant area of bars where you see a lot of foot traffic, people hanging out, etc.

NoDa NoDa Home - Charlotte's Historic Arts District

Montford Montford crawls with nighttime fun - CharlotteObserver.com

NC Music Factory NC Music Factory

EpiCentre The EpiCentre | Charlotte, NC | Nightlife, Entertainment, Shopping, Dining, and More...

To a lesser extent Plaza Midwood can also sometimes be fairly vibrant at night. But its places like the EpiCentre and The NC Music Factory that really set Charlotte apart from Raleigh, IMO.

And ditto to the comments about Greensboro. South Elm Street in Greensboro is one of the most vibrant streets in the southeast now. At night that place really comes alive.

Old 12-09-2010, 09:11 AM

1,666 posts, read 2,839,493 times
Some of that you just named is not nightlife. The best thing in uptown Charlotte is restaurants and epic center when your talking about things to do after 9pm.. If your college student i would say raliegh.. Otherwise charlotte.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qc dreamin View Post

For starters lets clear up the whole Greensboro thing; Greensboro's night life is terrible unless you are in college. All the bars and clubs are for college students and to be honest that is probably a grand total of ten in downtown Greensboro. i also have lived here as a college student and moved back as an adult now so trust me its dead if you are over 23.

Charlotte:

TimeWarner Arena- NBA Bobcats/Hockey/Concerts/CIAA/ACC Tournament/NCAA tournament

Bechtler Museum of Art
Mint Museum of Art
Bluementhal Center
Spirit Square
Main Library
Nascar Hall of Fame
Aquatic Center
First Ward park/rec.
5 YMCAs
Gateway Village
UNCC- downtown campus
Downtown trolleys
street car network--new
Downtown Harris Teeter
Charlotte Bus Terminal

Old 12-09-2010, 09:30 AM

1,037 posts, read 2,046,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandIke27 View Post
Some of that you just named is not nightlife. The best thing in uptown Charlotte is restaurants and epic center when your talking about things to do after 9pm.. If your college student i would say raliegh.. Otherwise charlotte.
The guy said in an earlier post that Raleighs daytime life could possibly be better than Charlottes so in my post I was kinda including daytime and nighttime fixtures in Uptown. Sorry about the confusion.

Old 12-09-2010, 11:11 AM

1,211 posts, read 2,674,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qc dreamin View Post

Charlotte:

Bechtler Museum of Art
Mint Museum of Art
Bluementhal Center
Spirit Square
Main Library
Nascar Hall of Fame
Aquatic Center
First Ward park/rec.
5 YMCAs
Gateway Village
UNCC- downtown campus
Downtown trolleys
street car network--new
Downtown Harris Teeter
Charlotte Bus Terminal

Now let me put you in your place. I said Charlotte has MORE daytime activities.

Raleigh has well over 300 bars, clubs, and restaurants in the Downtown area. Raleigh's downtown falls short on many things, but nightlife and art galleries aren't one of them!

Old 12-09-2010, 11:20 AM

I also just realized most of the stuff on your list Downtown Raleigh has as well....

Old 12-09-2010, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandIke27 View Post
There are plenty of places to go out in Raleigh without bumping into kids. I'm 30, and I can attest to Raleigh having a very mature nightlife as well. Glenwood South is Raleigh's most hip night scene district (Ask The New York Times). College kids rarely frequent this area at all. Hillsborough Street is their place of choice. I never go there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City