Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Metro Charlotte 52 50.00%
Raleigh-Durham (Triangle) 52 50.00%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 12:06 AM

2,079 posts, read 6,112,383 times

Advertisements

I think I certainly presented some positives about the area, and yes, you're right, it does take a long time (usually at least half a year) to get the full hang of a place. I have been many many places; usually first impressions leave a mark on me, and RDU did not leave a good first impression on me. Obviously hundreds of thousands of people want to move there, so not convincing me to come there is not going to be some sort of detriment.

Here is why it left a bad taste: everyone I know from Raleigh raves about the place. I don't even like the people I know from there in the first place, but usually I listen to what people say. I went for an extended stay. I thought Duke was beautiful but isolated (wanted to be "in" a city) and I thought NC State was the ugliest campus I had been on, but it had a good program for what I was going to school for. I do not like Clay soil (which Raleigh has). I love really nice, but old areas (which Raleigh does not seem to have...mostly new, and what's old doesn't interest me). I love a good, thriving downtown, which Raleigh does not have and you can't even argue that one. There is at least only up to go, and I'm sure it's getting better every year. Basically, I could not find one reason for all the people to rave about it. Granted, I'm from a smaller city, too, but I feel like my city at least has sooo much potential and is making huge strides (and has good bones). There is no water in Raleigh (I grew up on the water...it's a big part of my life). The list goes on. It's not for me, but obviously tons of people love it.

If you were to compare Charlotte's overall metro/suburbs to that/those of RDU's, I would say there is little to no difference, but Charlotte has a great downtown for a southern sunbelt city. Charlotte also has the Lynx, and its intown neighborhoods are far more beautiful than those I saw in Raleigh (and supposedly I was in the good area of Raleigh). I also feel like Charlotte has more for *me* to do, and being a finance major, it has more jobs for me, too. ::Carowinds, a larger airport that goes places, Lowes Motor Speedway, and more things to do in town (stuff to do Uptown, Epicentre, Dilworth, area around UNC Charlotte, and South Park/Myers Park)::

It sucks to hear bad things about your city, but believe me, I am used to it, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2010, 06:37 AM

1,037 posts, read 2,046,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimms3 View Post
I have been to each city only once. I looked at schools in RDU, stayed in Cary, and competed in a sporting event there in high school (not too long ago for me ). I just visited Charlotte for a job interview and to see the city (I also took about 200 photos, posted on another website and on my PhotoBucket site. Comparisons as follows:

Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill

Eds, meds, and feds. Stable, growing economy and booming population. Brick everywhere. Research Triangle is kind of a big deal. Duke. Chapel Hill. NC State. Major research/teaching hospitals. Brick everywhere. Newness everywhere you turn. Small downtown with some odd looking buildings. Clay for dirt (at least where I was). Not really on a major interstate (an hour from 95 it seemed like). Super sprawled and not dense at all. It seemed like countryside suburban living everywhere to me. Franklin St is the major downtown street, no? It was alright at best. I don't particularly like the people there (the wrong mix of northerners imo).

Charlotte

Newness everywhere. Banks and more banks. Progressive city leadership and Brian Moynihan, the CEO of BofA that pushed for Lynx. On that note, Lynx. Pure brick in the suburbs, stone in the intown neighborhoods of Myers Park/Dilworth, and glass and steel Uptown. I agree that skyline is typical for a 2+ million person American city, but metro feels like a 1.0 million person metro. Highways are underdeveloped (I guess the spending goes to public transit ). US Airways. Nascar. Lowes Motor Speedway. Uptown. Epicentre. Epicentre. Dilworth. Myers Park. More downtown eateries than I have seen anywhere (and they looked and smelled good). Wells Fargo cultural center. South Park. People actually living downtown. Harris Teeter.

If I had to pick my poison (well Uptown Charlotte is not a poison), then I would go with Charlotte. Honestly, I was so turned off by Raleigh that I opted not to even consider going to college in the area (well I applied to one of the colleges and was accepted, but you couldn't have paid me to go). I like Charlotte's corporate atmosphere (I love corporate power centers like Century City, Uptown, etc). I could live in Uptown, but the overall metro *sucks*. It is just as spread out as Atlanta with 1/3 the amount of people. I also would not want to be rich in Charlotte (and definitely not Raleigh, where is the nice area in Raleigh anyway and don't say Cary). Always thinking ahead It sucks for all the rich bank CEOs who have residences in Charlotte, but I guess I now know why they choose to spend more time in NYC.
Great Post!

However don't forget about the other prestigious areas of Charlotte: Ballantyne, Lake Norman, Piper Glen, Birkdale Village, Providence Square area, Carmel Road area, etc...

Also you have great picks in your photobucket, however, i did not see any pics of Charlotte. Those pics of Atlantas sprawl are good and terrible at the same time. The shots are good but the sprawl is terrible(lol)!!

Anyway great post

Old 12-14-2010, 06:45 AM

1,037 posts, read 2,046,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metro.m View Post
I also just realized most of the stuff on your list Downtown Raleigh has as well....
Then raleigh must of had a major construction boom sometime in the past two weeks!!!

Old 12-14-2010, 09:40 AM

2,079 posts, read 6,112,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qc dreamin View Post
However don't forget about the other prestigious areas of Charlotte: Ballantyne, Lake Norman, Piper Glen, Birkdale Village, Providence Square area, Carmel Road area, etc...

Also you have great picks in your photobucket, however, i did not see any pics of Charlotte.
Charlotte Trip

I drove down 77 to 485 and over to Providence, also up 85 over to Davidson Hwy and back down 77. I don't like lakes, but I know Lake Norman is to Charlotte as Lake Lanier is to Atlanta. I really also did not like any areas I saw outside of Uptown, Dilworth, and Myers Park (I didn't even like South Park, let alone the Ballantyne and Providence Square areas). They were too sprawly and plain brick and suburban.

Here are a few of the pics:

http://i916.photobucket.com/albums/ad1/jsimms3/Charlotte%20Trip/CharlotteTrip100.jpg (broken link)

http://i916.photobucket.com/albums/ad1/jsimms3/Charlotte%20Trip/CharlotteTrip095.jpg (broken link)

http://i916.photobucket.com/albums/ad1/jsimms3/Charlotte%20Trip/CharlotteTrip116.jpg (broken link)

http://i916.photobucket.com/albums/ad1/jsimms3/Charlotte%20Trip/CharlotteTrip151.jpg (broken link)

http://i916.photobucket.com/albums/ad1/jsimms3/Charlotte%20Trip/CharlotteTrip131.jpg (broken link)

http://i916.photobucket.com/albums/ad1/jsimms3/Charlotte%20Trip/CharlotteTrip180.jpg (broken link)

http://i916.photobucket.com/albums/ad1/jsimms3/Charlotte%20Trip/CharlotteTrip183.jpg (broken link)

Wish I had my good camera for this trip so I could have zoomed 35x.

http://i916.photobucket.com/albums/ad1/jsimms3/Charlotte%20Trip/CharlotteTrip198.jpg (broken link)

Old 12-14-2010, 01:08 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,857,597 times
Quote:
Charlotte Trip

I drove down 77 to 485 and over to Providence, also up 85 over to Davidson Hwy and back down 77. I don't like lakes, but I know Lake Norman is to Charlotte as Lake Lanier is to Atlanta. I really also did not like any areas I saw outside of Uptown, Dilworth, and Myers Park (I didn't even like South Park, let alone the Ballantyne and Providence Square areas). They were too sprawly and plain brick and suburban.
Too bad you didn't get to check out Southend, NoDa, Plaza-Midwood, and Elizabeth.

Old 12-14-2010, 01:46 PM

56 posts, read 52,897 times
I wonder why Atlanta keeps being mentioned in this thread. Isn't D.C. a few hours closer?

Old 12-14-2010, 02:13 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,857,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NationalistFighter View Post
I wonder why Atlanta keeps being mentioned in this thread. Isn't D.C. a few hours closer?
To Raleigh. Atlanta is closer to Charlotte, and the built environments of Charlotte and Raleigh are much closer to that of Atlanta than DC.

Old 12-15-2010, 10:38 AM

198 posts, read 261,683 times
Quote:
I have been to each city only once. I looked at schools in RDU, stayed in Cary, and competed in a sporting event there in high school (not too long ago for me ). I just visited Charlotte for a job interview and to see the city (I also took about 200 photos, posted on another website and on my PhotoBucket site. Comparisons as follows:

Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill

Eds, meds, and feds. Stable, growing economy and booming population. Brick everywhere. Research Triangle is kind of a big deal. Duke. Chapel Hill. NC State. Major research/teaching hospitals. Brick everywhere. Newness everywhere you turn. Small downtown with some odd looking buildings. Clay for dirt (at least where I was). Not really on a major interstate (an hour from 95 it seemed like). Super sprawled and not dense at all. It seemed like countryside suburban living everywhere to me. Franklin St is the major downtown street, no? It was alright at best. I don't particularly like the people there (the wrong mix of northerners imo).

Charlotte

Newness everywhere. Banks and more banks. Progressive city leadership and Brian Moynihan, the CEO of BofA that pushed for Lynx. On that note, Lynx. Pure brick in the suburbs, stone in the intown neighborhoods of Myers Park/Dilworth, and glass and steel Uptown. I agree that skyline is typical for a 2+ million person American city, but metro feels like a 1.0 million person metro. Highways are underdeveloped (I guess the spending goes to public transit ). US Airways. Nascar. Lowes Motor Speedway. Uptown. Epicentre. Epicentre. Dilworth. Myers Park. More downtown eateries than I have seen anywhere (and they looked and smelled good). Wells Fargo cultural center. South Park. People actually living downtown. Harris Teeter.

If I had to pick my poison (well Uptown Charlotte is not a poison), then I would go with Charlotte. Honestly, I was so turned off by Raleigh that I opted not to even consider going to college in the area (well I applied to one of the colleges and was accepted, but you couldn't have paid me to go). I like Charlotte's corporate atmosphere (I love corporate power centers like Century City, Uptown, etc). I could live in Uptown, but the overall metro *sucks*. It is just as spread out as Atlanta with 1/3 the amount of people. I also would not want to be rich in Charlotte (and definitely not Raleigh, where is the nice area in Raleigh anyway and don't say Cary). Always thinking ahead It sucks for all the rich bank CEOs who have residences in Charlotte, but I guess I now know why they choose to spend more time in NYC.
Those suburbs are the reasons a lot of CEO's have homes in Charlotte. For a lot of people who have lived in NYC and are past the party and awe stage of the city a place like Charlotte or Raleigh begins to look very nice.

Old 12-15-2010, 12:30 PM

1,211 posts, read 2,674,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crider View Post
Those suburbs are the reasons a lot of CEO's have homes in Charlotte. For a lot of people who have lived in NYC and are past the party and awe stage of the city a place like Charlotte or Raleigh begins to look very nice.
Exactly. Both cities have a lot to offer without the stress or rush. Both cities have some nice urban elements BTW, so no one is going for the "They're all suburban nonsense."

Old 12-15-2010, 10:23 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,299,122 times
Just to throw in my two cents, I like the city of Charlotte over the cities of Raleigh and Durham. However, I think the suburbs of Raleigh-Durham (Cary, Apex, Chapel Hill, etc.) is better than Gastonia, Fort Mill, Rock Hill, Huntersville, etc.) Although Huntersville, Mooresville, and Fort Mill are my favorite suburbs in Charlotte.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City