Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2010, 03:54 PM

3,595 posts, read 6,943,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
DH's term, he was born and raised in Winter Park.
He hates what has happened to Orlando, dont say as I blame him.
Others in his family refer to Otown as an overgrown cow town.
Thanks for elaborating. It sounds like they are the anti-growth/change crowd that continues to believe/wish Orlando was still the size of Lakeland. Sorry progress happened to this area and I'll admit that it's not perfect or for everyone, but it's way way way better than when Orlando was a small town. Cow town lol, at least you could have been creative and said "Gator town" or "One lizard town,".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2010, 04:02 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,983,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
Cow town lol, at least you could have been creative and said "Gator town" or "One lizard town,".
You know there was a thriving cattle industry there at one time, right?
DH's people owned a very large ranch in the Kissimmee area.......I would suppose they know what they are speaking of.
Gator town would apply to Gainesville, just as black hole is applicable to Ocala(or Gods waiting room).

Old 11-18-2010, 04:10 PM

Quote:
You know there was a thriving cattle industry there at one time, right?
DH's people owned a very large ranch in the Kissimmee area.......I would suppose they know what they are speaking of.
Gator town would apply to Gainesville, just as black hole is applicable to Ocala(or Gods waiting room).
Yeah I'm well aware of the history of Florida especially Orlando, probably more so than a group of haters (for lack of a better word) that ran off to Missouri. Wanting to call it a "gator town" or "one lizard" was meant as a play off the reptilian habitat that Florida is, not a comment on Florida cracker history.

So let me guess, Orlando started to grow and they couldn't stand the city popping up all over the place and all these crazy Yankees moving down. I've heard it a million times, we are so glad you and your entire family is gone if you hate the place (and what it's become) so much.

Old 11-18-2010, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Yeah I'm well aware of the history of Florida especially Orlando, probably more so than a group of haters (for lack of a better word) that ran off to Missouri. Wanting to call it a "gator town" or "one lizard" was meant as a play off the reptilian habitat that Florida is, not a comment on Florida cracker history.

So let me guess, Orlando started to grow and they couldn't stand the city popping up all over the place and all these crazy Yankees moving down. I've heard it a million times, we are so glad you and your entire family is gone if you hate the place (and what it's become) so much.
So much for assumptions.
DH lives in Ocala, works in Ocala/Orlando, he has lived in Florida his entire life, he is on our farm on the edge of the Ocala National Forest right now, and has forgotten more about the history of his state than you have learned in your entire 25 years.
I am in Missouri right now on our other farm, I got here last week, and will be here until January.
I suggest you do some research before you attempt flaming anyone.
All of this info is right here on this site.
Nice try.
Orlando IS an overgrown cowtown. I have to go to Atlanta to get any decent furniture or antiques for my design clients.

Old 11-18-2010, 04:27 PM

Quote:
So much for assumptions.
DH lives in Ocala, works in Ocala/Orlando, he has lived in Florida his entire life, he is on our farm on the edge of the Ocala National Forest right now, and has forgotten more about the history of his state than you have learned in your entire 25 years.
I am in Missouri right now on our other farm, I got here last week, and will be here until January.
I suggest you do some research before you attempt flaming anyone.
All of this info is right here on this site.
Proving you wrong is not worth me researching you & your hubby's living arrangements. Oh and before the pot calls the kettle black about flaming may I remind everyone how disrespectfully you entered this thread and offered nothing of substance, hmm now what do we call that on a message board.
Quote:
Ugh, Orlando sucks!
Not even a decent art museum.
Hubby was born and raised there, he doesnt even like to go there since the Rat moved to town.
They dont even have regional cuisine.

Quote:
Nice try.
Orlando IS an overgrown cowtown. I have to go to Atlanta to get any decent furniture or antiques for my design clients.
I highly doubt that there are no decent pieces of furniture or antiques available in Orlando or close by in Florida. You're not the only one who spouts this non-sense, but you sure do step in it with an opinion like yours.

Old 11-18-2010, 04:39 PM

1,374 posts, read 3,253,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB Fla View Post
Orlando has more than just theme parks though. What does Cincinnati have that can compete. Not trying to be facetious, just curious. You said in your post, Cincinnati has real city amenities. Well, what are they?

Cincinnati is a bonafide, historic and important American city with genuinely "urban districts" and neighborhoods .. I guess those would be some of the so called "real city amenities" ...
Orlando is so very "cookie cutter", just like so many other cities in the sunbelt ... lacking in a broader scope of character than the older, well established cities up north.

Orlando being compared to Cincinnati and Cleveland is an unbalanced comparison ... Orlando can't possibly compete!

Old 11-18-2010, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Proving you wrong is not worth me researching you & your hubby's living arrangements. Oh and before the pot calls the kettle black about flaming may I remind everyone how disrespectfully you entered this thread and offered nothing of substance, hmm now what do we call that on a message board.

I highly doubt that there are no decent pieces of furniture or antiques available in Orlando or close by in Florida. You're not the only one who spouts this non-sense, but you sure do step in it with an opinion like yours.
Honey, I just call it as I see it.
Its a Midwestern trait. And a good one.
One doesn't automatically get respect, one has to earn it, and mindless cheerleading is nauseating, to say the least, and certainly does not command respect.
No, I wouldn't think you would know much about my profession.
I, however do, and when I say there is nowhere to shop for design clients, there isnt.
Now, why do you think myself and others spout this "non-sense" as you so endearingly term it?
Could it possibly be -gasp- because there is some truth to it?
Orlando doesnt even have a decent outer-ring highway, the traffic is beyond appalling.
Indicative of a massive failure to plan ahead, and the good ole boy system alive and well there.
Want me to go on about Orlandos lack of infrastructure?

Old 11-18-2010, 04:50 PM

Default Perspective & preference changes everything John...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDBaumgardner View Post
Cincinnati is a bonafide, historic and important American city with genuinely "urban districts" and neighborhoods .. I guess those would be some of the so called "real city amenities" ...
Orlando is so very "cookie cutter", just like so many other cities in the sunbelt ... lacking in a broader scope of character than the older, well established cities up north.

Orlando being compared to Cincinnati and Cleveland is an unbalanced comparison ... Orlando can't possibly compete!
Orlando is a shinny, modern and exciting American city with genuinely "recreational districts" and neighborhoods .. I guess those would be some of the so called "new urbanism amenities" ...
Cincinnati is so very "old & boring", just like so many other cities in the Rustbelt ... lacking in a broader scope of entertainment options than the newer, faster growing cities down south.

Orlando being compared to Cincinnati and Cleveland is an unbalanced comparison ... Ohio can't possibly compete!

Old 11-18-2010, 04:59 PM

1,374 posts, read 3,253,246 times
Quote:
Orlando is a shinny, modern and exciting American city with genuinely "recreational districts" and neighborhoods .. I guess those would be some of the so called "new urbanism amenities" ...
Cincinnati is so very "old & boring", just like so many other cities in the Rustbelt ... lacking in a broader scope of entertainment options than the newer, faster growing cities down south.

Orlando being compared to Cincinnati and Cleveland is an unbalanced comparison ... Ohio can't possibly compete!
^^The aforementioned quotes are devoid of any merit whatsoever. Orlando is good for one thing ... it's called "vacations"!
If Orlando is so great, and Cincinnati and Cleveland are so "despicable", would you care to explain "WHY" both cities have better job markets and thriving economies in comparison to Orlando ...
I'm not willing to move to Orlando to make $8 to $10 per hour ( an average pay in the city )

Give me OHIO any day ... bad weather, rusted factories and all!

Old 11-18-2010, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Honey, I just call it as I see it.
Its a Midwestern trait. And a good one.
One doesn't automatically get respect, one has to earn it, and mindless cheerleading is nauseating, to say the least, and certainly does not command respect.
No, I wouldn't think you would know much about my profession.
I, however do, and when I say there is nowhere to shop for design clients, there isnt.
Now, why do you think myself and others spout this "non-sense" as you so endearingly term it?
Could it possibly be -gasp- because there is some truth to it?
Orlando doesnt even have a decent outer-ring highway, the traffic is beyond appalling.
Indicative of a massive failure to plan ahead, and the good ole boy system alive and well there.
Want me to go on about Orlandos lack of infrastructure?
First off, you don't need to call me hunny (honey comes from bees), I'm not yours or a child.

Secondly, I'd be happy to answer your question above in bold if I weren't too busy watching you dodge my claim that your family couldn't stand the urbanization process that took place down here after the "rat" as you so endearingly call it, moved to town.

The traffic isn't that bad in Orlando, not sure if were talking about the same place. Sure there are some concessions I'm willing to make but you coming in hear and saying, "Orlando sucks, blah, blah, blah..." is absurd and makes those who actually like this town stand up and say to you and your kin, "don't let the door hit you on your way back to Ocala or Mo. or your trip to Atlanta for antique roadshow or whatever you claim you cannot do down here. Are you a decorator or something?? Wow, you're right I wouldn't understand that (talk about a statement that will cause you to loose respect).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City