Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2010, 12:53 PM

2,399 posts, read 4,215,952 times

Advertisements

Which is the better city, in your opinion, according to these criteria:

Aesthetics (attractiveness of area)

Cost of Living

Freeway Network/Ease of Mobility

Larger Christian Community

Entertainment Options

Economy

Job Availability

Friendliness of People (subjective)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2010, 01:24 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,799,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
Which is the better city, in your opinion, according to these criteria:

Aesthetics (attractiveness of area) Cincinnati as far as natural beauty goes, although the city has a lot of run-down areas that are ugly. I find Orlando to basically be ugly or bland altogether.

Cost of Living Cincinnati, but do watch out for those property taxes.

Freeway Network/Ease of Mobility Orlando, by a mile (no pun intended initially).

Larger Christian Community Orlando, by a slight edge.

Entertainment Options Cincinnati...for residents, anyway.

Economy Cincinnati, by a slight edge.

Job Availability Tied, although both cities don't offer very much beyond low- or no-skilled jobs that start at $8-10/hour.

Friendliness of People (subjective) Tied, neither city is particularly friendly.
My answers in blue above.

Basically, if you want an older, rust belt city with more character, history, a unique (in a good way) local culture, and four seasons, go with Cincinnati. If you want a "newer" city with a less definitive urban core but warm weather and access to great beaches and wildlife areas, Orlando's your choice.

Old 11-14-2010, 02:06 PM

2,363 posts, read 5,201,654 times
Aesthetics (attractiveness of area) Orlando, Cicny is not all that attractive. Just the skyline and the Riverbanks!

Cost of Living Cincinnati

Freeway Network/Ease of Mobility Orlando but not a big fan of tolls

Larger Christian Community Orlando

Entertainment Orlando
Economy Cincy

Job Availability Cincy

Overall Orlando for me. Comes down to weather and Entertainment.

Old 11-14-2010, 02:41 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,689,173 times
Aesthetics- Orlando, it's greener, abundance of lakes, springs, rolling hills to the west, clean shiny downtown, clean roads, newer buildings, nice land scaping, unique charming historic areas like Thornton park and winter park.

COL- Cincinnati

Highway Network- Orlando, I like orlando's toll roads, it keeps them very attractive and well maintained. Btw the main artery highway in Orlando isn't tolled.

Larger Christian community- Orlando has the edge.

Entertainment- Orlando. There are many things for the residents to do plus an attractions area that is visited by people from around the world.

Economy/job market- Cincinnati has the edge right now

Friendly People- Depends, I would say tie.

Overall I prefer Orlando

Old 11-14-2010, 02:44 PM

908 posts, read 1,828,719 times
Cincinnati in all aspects. Its a great city with a true urban core with real city amenities. Orlando's tourist economy and amenities do not appeal to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jRXt2Bt1Sc

Old 11-15-2010, 07:40 AM

23,451 posts, read 44,061,014 times
Cincinnati has just never appealed to me. It just looks like very little has happened to it since 1970. Orlando would, of course, be the antithesis of that. I really enjoyed my years there; it has a great downtown and some of the loveliest neighborhoods in the country: Winter Park, Maitland, College Park, Windemere, Baldwin Park, Lake Eola Heights, Thornton Park, Delaney Park, Lancaster Park, et al. Love the lakes and live oaks, too.

Old 11-15-2010, 08:47 AM

2,413 posts, read 5,747,685 times
Aesthetics (attractiveness of area): Orlando. First time I went through Cinci, I was very disappointed with it aesthetically speaking.

Cost of Living: Orlando I think.

Freeway Network/Ease of Mobility:Cincinnati. To many toll roads in Orl.

Larger Christian Community:Percentage of population affiliated with a religious congregations(according to citydata):
Cincinnati 48.97% - Orlando 40.25%

Entertainment Options:Orlando,by far

Economy:Cincinnati

Job Availability:Cincinnati

Friendliness of People (subjective):Cincinnati, less transplants/transients.

My pick: Orlando

Old 11-15-2010, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
My answers in blue above.

Basically, if you want an older, rust belt city with more character, history, a unique (in a good way) local culture, and four seasons, go with Cincinnati. If you want a "newer" city with a less definitive urban core but warm weather and access to great beaches and wildlife areas, Orlando's your choice.
You picked Cincinnati for entertainment for residents? Florida residents get GREAT deals for the theme parks like year long passes. Pay for a day, go back all year long for free. We also don't have to get a hotel thus saving money. I can see your point on everything but entertainment. Just don't see how Orlando doesn't win that one.

Old 11-15-2010, 09:14 AM

908 posts, read 1,828,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB Fla View Post
You picked Cincinnati for entertainment for residents? Florida residents get GREAT deals for the theme parks like year long passes. Pay for a day, go back all year long for free. We also don't have to get a hotel thus saving money. I can see your point on everything but entertainment. Just don't see how Orlando doesn't win that one.
Maybe some just don't consider theme parks as part of entertainment for adults.

Old 11-15-2010, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJPhilliesPhan View Post
Maybe some just don't consider theme parks as part of entertainment for adults.
Orlando has more than just theme parks though. What does Cincinnati have that can compete. Not trying to be facetious, just curious. You said in your post, Cincinnati has real city amenities. Well, what are they?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City