Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2010, 02:14 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,796,777 times

Advertisements

Which city/ies do you prefer based on the following criteria?

Friendliness of the people (subjective)

Climate

Location (i.e.: proximity to other cities, points of interest)

Highway quality

Ease of transport/getting around

Religious community

Aesthetics (i.e.: skyline, neighborhoods, architecture)

Economic health

Political and social climate (as these tend to be intertwined)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2010, 04:58 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,796,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
Which city/ies do you prefer based on the following criteria?

Friendliness of the people (subjective)

Climate

Location (i.e.: proximity to other cities, points of interest)

Highway quality

Ease of transport/getting around

Religious community

Aesthetics (i.e.: skyline, neighborhoods, architecture)

Economic health

Political and social climate (as these tend to be intertwined)
Bump. I'll go first.

Friendliness: Austin

Climate: Austin. I'll take scorching summers in order to have milder winters. Winter in L'ville and Cincy is absolutely depressing.

Location: Austin. All three are in great locations; L'ville and Cincy are in easy proximity to Chicago and Atlanta and a day's driving distance of DC, NYC and Boston. However, I prefer Texas cities to East Coast and Midwest cities and in Austin, you're still closer to a revitalizing OKC and touristy NOLA for weekend trips.

Highway quality: Austin. Austin has terrible traffic and a community that seems reluctant to shed its small town mindset in order to accommodate one of the heaviest volumes of traffic in the U.S. I know a tollway system is slowly being constructed that will probably allow people to bypass central Austin and Georgetown altogether. L'ville and Cincy, however, have that freeze/thaw thing going on during the winter as well as huge bridges that are almost unsafe structurally.

Ease of transport: Tie: Austin and Louisville. If buses are your thing than the Capital Metro and TARC, respectively, have extensive bus networks. Louisville's TARC has express commuter lines that stretch into four other counties in KY and IN. Austin, however, by virtue of the fact that it is a much safer city is more walkable.

Religious community: Tie: Austin and Louisville, although I wouldn't consider Cincinnati lacking in this department. I have had terrible experiences with some very rude and selfish people in churches when I lived in Louisville, though, but I won't delve into that.

Aesthetics: Austin. Evolving and modern skyline, the Town Lake and park, state capitol and its grounds, University of Texas. The city's just really clean. I like Louisville's skyline but the surrounding knobs just look barren during winter which adds to that Ohio Valley depressing sort of feel. Cincinnati has a gorgeous skyline that is well illuminated at night when you're entering from Kentucky on I-75; the combination of art deco, post-war industrial and modern provide a unusually even balance with the hills in the background and river in the foreground. However, the hills surrounding the city look barren during winter and adds to that depressing feel. Much of Louisville and Cincinnati both consist of dirty, graffiti-ridden, run-down low-income areas, although Cincinnati's areas are on par with those in Philly, NYC and Chicago.

Economic health: Austin. Come on, now!

P/s climate: Austin. While I'm conservative and it's the most liberal city of the three, the city seems to be a much smoother-operating machine that is ambitious about new beautification and economic development projects. Louisville is second place but they were still 15 years behind the surrounding cities just having a new stadium built downtown. Cincinnati is just getting the ball rolling with revitalizing their downtown, but even with the liberal city government which isn't afraid to spend, the general regional population makes it Cincinnati, NOhio.

My top pick, in case you can't tell, is Austin!

Old 11-14-2010, 05:03 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,977,850 times
Austin FTW.

Old 11-16-2010, 03:46 PM

709 posts, read 1,400,748 times
I have only been to Cincinnati briefly and don't know it or much about it.

Friendliness of the people (subjective) - Austin

Climate - Very subjective. Some people love the cold, some love the heat. I prefer spending the summer at the lake with more mild winters so for me Austin

Location (i.e.: proximity to other cities, points of interest) - Austin

Highway quality - Louisville .... Austin come in last on this one. They have never had any funding either nationally and all the state funding goes to Dallas, Houston, and the scraps to San Antonio so Austin has just built a lot of new toll roads but still has a lot more to build on its own to begin to resemble anything all the other cities in the US has. Austin is just to new of a city.

Ease of transport/getting around - Louisville. Although much of Austin is easier it is more limited overall IMO.

Religious community - Louisville

Aesthetics (i.e.: skyline, neighborhoods, architecture) - Austin

Economic health - Austin

Political and social climate (as these tend to be intertwined) - Austin

Old 11-16-2010, 05:40 PM

6,067 posts, read 9,088,396 times
I would have never included Austin in with Louisville/Cincy, but here we go---LOL

Friendliness of the people (subjective)---Lousiville
Climate---Louisville
Location (i.e.: proximity to other cities, points of interest)---Cincinati
Highway quality---Austin???
Ease of transport/getting around---Louisville
Religious community---Louisville
Aesthetics (i.e.: skyline, neighborhoods, architecture)---Cincinati
Economic health---Austin
Political and social climate (as these tend to be intertwined)---Cincinati
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City