Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 06:00 AM

4,803 posts, read 10,172,180 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorRain View Post
Yes, or those who were ex city people but became hardcore about locking their doors AND getting alarms and afraid of crime in similar ways just as if they lived in some ghetto. I mean you can leave your car door unlocked if you have nothing of value in there. You can leave your house doors unlocked if your home. You only draw trouble to yourself if you have a "hot" vehicle or are known for material things and its been observed. Its just stuff like that I live by and try to not be extremist about it. My parents in the burbs insist I lock the door when they are awake and at home when I go out for a walk or something.. walking to nowhere, just exercise is all its for. It drives me nuts! Oh put the alarm on when you go out driving.. in broad daylight!
The paranoia people get who have to live out in the suburbs is sickening. Suburbia is full of weak people mostly.. I highly agree.
What do you mean it's for weak people? 70% of America lives in the suburbs. Just because you are rich enough to afford to live in the city doesn't mean people who can't are weak. Give me a break. City living is extrmemly overrated, but city dwellers just can't accept that. If people don't want to live in the city or can't afford to then they are "weak".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2010, 06:59 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,872,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Footballfreak View Post
What do you mean it's for weak people? 70% of America lives in the suburbs. Just because you are rich enough to afford to live in the city doesn't mean people who can't are weak. Give me a break. City living is extrmemly overrated, but city dwellers just can't accept that. If people don't want to live in the city or can't afford to then they are "weak".
I agree that everyone who lives in the suburbs are not weak. However, I think that some city dwellers feel this way because (as someone else pointed out) US cities get a wrap for being dangerous. I see a lot of suburbanites on these boards label entire cities as dumps or ridden with crime, just because of a few isolated neighborhoods.

I also believe that too many Americans have become weak. A large percentage of our society is more interested in sitting on the couch and watching worthless trash tv while shoveling too much bad food in their mouths, rather than being out (in the city or parks or hiking, etc.) and being well-informed about truly important issues in society. These people are in cities and in suburbs, but I think the burbs get labeled with this more, as people in the burbs more likely spend more time in their houses than people in the city. That coupled with labeling cities as crime-ridden or dumps creates resentment.

I grew up in a rural setting, moved to the burbs and then to the city. I don't care what other people like or want, but I don't like most burbs. That's not to say it's right or wrong, or to say that there aren't good burbs. I just prefer the culture-rich environment of the city and the "realness" of being out with all sorts of people.

Last edited by AJNEOA; 11-16-2010 at 07:14 AM..

Old 11-16-2010, 07:12 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,872,645 times
One other thought - I also see a lot of people on these boards complain about the pro-density, pro-walkable posters. I find this strange, given that this is "city"-data. Despite there being burbs attached to most cities, the principle city in a metro area is still considered the cultural nexus. Walk-ability, density and vibrancy are all definitive of cities and I believe that these traits are what a lot of people in this forum are interested in (at least this is the case for myself). Therefore, I'm not surprised to see some negative responses from city people toward the suburbs (even though I try not to do so).

Old 11-16-2010, 07:53 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,693,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Maybe if the poor hadn't ruined the neighborhoods in the first place they would have never left.

Why did you leave SF and let the poor fend for themselves btw?
Where I lived in San Francisco there wasn't a row house for under $1 million. After I retired I couldn't afford it. The fact that you can sell a vacant lot for millions in San Francisco disqualifies most retirees unless you bought back in the 70s and are protected by Prop 13.

As for the poor "ruining " neighborhoods, that depends on YOUR definition of poor

Old 11-16-2010, 07:58 AM

117 posts, read 150,051 times
I hate when people who live in surrounding MD and VA suburbs say they're from D.C......
Thats the biggest pet peeve ever for a DC native like myself, and most others feel the same way, although this is mostly limited to black community the area and theres some beef between DC and the suburbs because of how we "put them down" and go on them so much for being from the suburbs. I think almost every big city has that mentality but its actually factual, the city is better, we have more street smarts, we're trendsetters (suburbs in everywhere will copy off the city thats closest to them), and we have more character.

Old 11-16-2010, 08:46 AM

14,481 posts, read 11,278,588 times
Too many Woody Allen movies.

Old 11-16-2010, 08:57 AM

160 posts, read 1,679,243 times
cuz its felt that inner city dwellers have harder lives, so they feel that they are better.

Old 11-16-2010, 09:15 AM

1,031 posts, read 2,709,049 times
Maybe its because people from the suburbs tend to think they are better than those who are living in the city?

Old 11-16-2010, 09:21 AM

1,521 posts, read 3,597,964 times
"Why do city dwellers put down suburbanites?"

Cause most of us grew up in the suburbs. We dislike the boring, cultureless, spread out, autocentric life that goverment policy forced upon our parents. I'm sure many of us will end up back in the burbs once we have kids but i'll never leave the inner ring burbs that still have that city feeling and design. I hate the look of new homes. It's so true that they don't build them like they used to.
I'm in my 20's and I'll never understand why some of my friends decide to set up shop in far flung exurbs. In St. Louis we refer to it as GU (geographically undesireable).

Old 11-16-2010, 09:27 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,681,102 times
Probably because they didn't like the suburbs, which is why they live in the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City