Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 11:16 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,191,557 times

Advertisements

It goes both ways.

City people can be heard ragging on suburbanites saying how the burbs are so vanilla, boring, no culture, everyone drives, etc.

Suburban people though also act like the city is a huge ghetto, that it's dirty and full of crime. As if all cities are like trashy areas of Detroit or certain areas on the south side of Chicago.

They're both just stereotypes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2010, 11:20 AM

4,651 posts, read 4,972,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown85 View Post
But also in Chicago a lot of the burbs and outlying city neighbhorhoods are very urban and blue collar. City neighborhoods like the north side and downtown can be looked down upon by not being the "real Chicago" and vice versa. Depends on one's perspective.

The place where I have seen the most animosity toward the suburbs by the city and vice versa is Dallas.
Interesting, but I doubt it beats Detroit.

Old 11-16-2010, 11:21 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Some of it is a snide sense of superiority. Perhaps they perceive themselves to be more sophisticated and cultured because they are in the middle of the action. They congratulate themselves because they can walk everywhere(much of that is actually warranted because the effects of mass car ownership has been a huge drag on the environment btw).

But for the most part, I bet many of those city-dwellers change their tune real quick once they have kids and decide that all the worldliness might not be best for their little ones.

I lived in Manhattan before moving to Alpine, and one of the main reasons for my move was for my four-legged child(dog)-LOL
Do these morons actually believe they're the only people who have ever done that? A lot of people have lived in the city at one point. This attitude is like college students acting like the stuff they learned is the first time anyone has ever had that thought...it's artarded.

Old 11-16-2010, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
One other thought - I also see a lot of people on these boards complain about the pro-density, pro-walkable posters. I find this strange, given that this is "city"-data. Despite there being burbs attached to most cities, the principle city in a metro area is still considered the cultural nexus. Walk-ability, density and vibrancy are all definitive of cities and I believe that these traits are what a lot of people in this forum are interested in (at least this is the case for myself). Therefore, I'm not surprised to see some negative responses from city people toward the suburbs (even though I try not to do so).
The 'cultural nexus' is accessible from my suburban dwelling in less than 20 minutes - as long as it would take many people IN the city to walk or drive to those places.

Old 11-16-2010, 11:54 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,872,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
The 'cultural nexus' is accessible from my suburban dwelling in less than 20 minutes - as long as it would take many people IN the city to walk or drive to those places.
Not sure why you've made "my" bold, but I would say that there's a difference between living in the city and driving in.

I've done the same thing where I've lived and driven in from 20 mins away. I always found a lack of motivation when it comes to getting in the car, driving in traffic, paying for parking and then spending my time in the city for something specific, only to return again in the car.

I prefer to live in the city, as I can walk most places (rain or shine) and be surrounded by that culture all the time. That culture isn't just a museum either, it's everywhere to me (murals, small shops, different languages being spoken, etc.) so it doesn't take me a long time to walk to as it's outside my door.

Again, this is a personal preference. I understand there is culture in the burbs and some prefer to drive in to the city from there....NOT for me.

Old 11-16-2010, 12:11 PM

I agree...if parking is a 'b,' then I am turned off by the idea of going downtown. Usually not an issue, though.

Old 11-16-2010, 12:35 PM

442 posts, read 828,176 times
Let's be real; surburnanites aren't talking $hit about city dwellers. They only complain about $hitty schools, tiny expensive apartments, nice neighborhoods being next to hood and noise. They aren't "hating" on you for being able to walk to the corner store.

Old 11-16-2010, 12:35 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Where I lived in San Francisco there wasn't a row house for under $1 million. After I retired I couldn't afford it. The fact that you can sell a vacant lot for millions in San Francisco disqualifies most retirees unless you bought back in the 70s and are protected by Prop 13.

As for the poor "ruining " neighborhoods, that depends on YOUR definition of poor
So why didn't you move to a cheaper part of the city then? Hunter's Point? Bayview? Is there a reason you didn't want to live in those areas?

Don't you think it's a bit hypocritical to generalize why people leave the city and give them crap about it when that's exactly what you did yourself?

As for poor people, I mean all the trashy, low class people who drive out nice, hard working, middle class people and families in cities.

Old 11-16-2010, 01:10 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Much is a choice between this

or this

Old 11-16-2010, 01:16 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,323,111 times
^lol is that supposed to be a bad vs good comparison.. all i see in the 2nd pic is a bunch of dirty people outside of stores.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City