Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 01:45 PM

2,326 posts, read 3,935,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by orbius View Post
Probably not great timing considering Texas' budget deficit has magically been revealed, right after the election no less, to be much higher than previously thought.
So has California's.

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la...,0,90781.story
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2010, 02:03 PM

36,658 posts, read 67,519,268 times
More anti-California garbage from RenaudFR, what else is new.

Quote:
In the future, historians may likely mark the 2010 midterm elections as the end of the California era and the beginning of the Texas one.
I was very proud that California was swept by Democrats. We don't fall for anti-Obama rhetoric and we remember that the nation's economic problems began well before his administration.

And we certainly are NOT going to let corporations crap on their workers and the environment.

Quote:
California voters essentially ratified a political and regulatory regime that has left much of the state unemployed and many others looking for the exits.
No, we simply didnt buy what Sarah Palin said, and Republicans have not proven themselves to be any better at running the government. I.E. GWB was an immense failure.

Quote:
California has drifted far away from the place that John Gunther described in 1946 as “the most spectacular and most diversified American state … so ripe, golden.”
California is simply going through an economic downturn like the rest of the country, only much more pronounced because of the real estate mess and job losses. But very few states, is in a 'great' position right now.-even Texas has its own problems to deal with. All these doomsdayers really need to get a grip.

unless of course, they actually want California to fail, which is well, sorta sick.

Old 11-16-2010, 02:08 PM

36,658 posts, read 67,519,268 times
Furthermore, Im more worried about the Federal Debt as its far worse than California's, both in sheer dollar value(obviously), but also in proportion to its GDP-California's Debt to GDP is 5-10% whereas the US Govt's debt to GDP is around 90%.

Old 11-16-2010, 03:55 PM

1,506 posts, read 4,280,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orbius View Post
Probably not great timing considering Texas' budget deficit has magically been revealed, right after the election no less, to be much higher than previously thought and higher as a proportion than California's.
Actually that was revealed a week before the election, but it doesn't matter. Do you have a source for the $24 to $25 billion number that that is based on? All I can find is a single news article with no source named.

The comptrollers office is saying that the deficit may be $16 billion for two years. That is still a lot, but not near California terrible which has faced huge deficits since 2008 and hasn't balanced a budget since 2000.

And HtownLove makes a good point:

Quote:
Texas business oriented nature is what is keeping it a float, the Reds have nothing to do with it. Texas was business savvy way back when it was still blue.
I see this as being more about how much better Texas is than California, not how much better Republicans are than Democrats or how much better conservatives are than liberals. Even liberal Texas Democrats can run a state better than Californians.

Last edited by Lucidus; 11-16-2010 at 04:33 PM..

Old 11-16-2010, 05:47 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,817,095 times
I knew who'd be the poster before I even entered the thread.

Do you enjoy seeing California struggle? Sure, Texas is at it's prime these days- But kill yourself California with a smiley face at the end of the post?

Yay! California is failing and Texas is progressing!!

Old 11-16-2010, 05:49 PM

6,900 posts, read 8,271,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
More anti-California garbage from RenaudFR, what else is new.
Yeah, what is with that dude and his/her obsession with getting joy out of California's challenges?.....Coupled with his/her fascination with anything texas. It's sickening, but i ignore it, until this post.

Its worse that he is from France because I really love the French language and I have some friends living in France. I tend to always defend France from all the anti-french comments that is very popular with Americans. California has its challenges and I do worry about certain things regarding our choices which I will save for another time. CALIFORNIA is the greatest state and will always be the greatest state.

Take away Californias economic woes and we trump texas by a long shot on so many levels. Californias Pride is understated and reserved, we don't need to wave our flag everywhere and constantly talk about how great we are. But, honestly, a little flag waving and boosterism would not hurt in these challenging times.
[/quote]

Old 11-16-2010, 07:06 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,388,557 times
Every time the OP attacks California it only brings more negative attention onto Texas and suggests pronounced inferiority issues. To compare the two states is laughable and as every poll on CD demonstrates, Texas gets no respect especially when its homers desperately attempt to put down one state in order to crudely built up Texas.

Old 11-16-2010, 07:12 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,108,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Hmmm, I just noticed there were two of these. Anyway I don't know which will get deleted,
The other thread is in a different forum, that I also moderate. It's on-topic in both, so we'll leave it open in both.

Old 11-16-2010, 07:39 PM

1,472 posts, read 3,546,648 times
We're all in the same boat. When one region or state is hurting it hurts the entire country (lower tax revenues to DC, more demand for services from DC, greater deficits from revenue shortfalls. The United States - not Texas, not California, not Maine - is in a severe economic crisis. That means all of us. Its time to pull together, work together, stop pointing fingers and stop gloating over the misfortune of others.

Old 11-16-2010, 08:06 PM

1,148 posts, read 2,780,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidus View Post
Actually that was revealed a week before the election, but it doesn't matter. Do you have a source for the $24 to $25 billion number that that is based on? All I can find is a single news article with no source named.

The comptrollers office is saying that the deficit may be $16 billion for two years. That is still a lot, but not near California terrible which has faced huge deficits since 2008 and hasn't balanced a budget since 2000.

And HtownLove makes a good point:

I see this as being more about how much better Texas is than California, not how much better Republicans are than Democrats or how much better conservatives are than liberals. Even liberal Texas Democrats can run a state better than Californians.
It wasnt stated before the election. Kirk Watson 'leaked' the $28 billion dollar number just this week.

"Whispers" That Budget Gap is $28 Billion | KUT News for Austin, Texas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City