Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2010, 09:28 PM

2,399 posts, read 4,194,298 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alacran View Post
Gambit accent is awesome.
I think the father from Hannah Montana has the same accent
Do you mean Billy Ray Cyrus, the famous singer? He's only the "father from Hannah Montana" to you? What are you, under 20?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2010, 12:04 AM

8,465 posts, read 14,896,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
so you call it "soda"? I feel like most Southerners would call it "coke" I've always called it "soda" though.
The coke thing, in my opinion, is completely misunderstood.

Some seem to think it means that people are using it as an replacement for the world "soda" or "pop". Nothing could be further from the truth.

When you are in say Georgia, and someone orders a "coke", they literally mean "please give me a coca-cola and if you only serve pepsi: 1. What is wrong with you? 2.) Give me a water and/or sweet tea instead". It is a brand preference, not a word replacement.

Along the same lines, if you asked a Georgian what type of drink a Coke is they will tell you it is a soda...not a pop. In fact, I can say honestly that I never heard of any soda being referred to as "pop" without the word soda in front of it until I was in college and a good friend of mine from Missouri said it. If only I could post a picture of the confused faces of me and my friend from NYC as we tried to figure out what the hell he was talking about.

Old 11-28-2010, 01:07 PM

3,569 posts, read 7,154,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
Do you mean Billy Ray Cyrus, the famous singer? He's only the "father from Hannah Montana" to you? What are you, under 20?
Around there.

Old 11-28-2010, 03:53 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,028,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post

Some seem to think it means that people are using it as an replacement for the world "soda" or "pop". Nothing could be further from the truth.

When you are in say Georgia, and someone orders a "coke", they literally mean "please give me a coca-cola and if you only serve pepsi: 1. What is wrong with you? 2.) Give me a water and/or sweet tea instead". It is a brand preference, not a word replacement.

Along the same lines, if you asked a Georgian what type of drink a Coke is they will tell you it is a soda...not a pop. In fact, I can say honestly that I never heard of any soda being referred to as "pop" without the word soda in front of it until I was in college and a good friend of mine from Missouri said it. If only I could post a picture of the confused faces of me and my friend from NYC as we tried to figure out what the hell he was talking about.
Exactly. To this day; I've never in my life heard anyone refer to soda as coke.

Old 11-28-2010, 04:03 PM

15,930 posts, read 20,899,784 times
Quote:

Perhaps it depends on where you are referring to. I've lived in TN, AL, FL, and TX. Generally when someone offers you a coke the typical response is to ask "what do you have?" because in the places I lived coke is used as a generic reference to any type of soda pop. Sometimes coke is referred to as a Co-Cola if someone wants that particular brand of soft drink.
Quote:
Originally Posted by just.a.good.ol.boy View Post
And just for fun how many of yall know what a "spell" is? Lol
As in... "Why don't 'all come on in and visit for a spell? How about a coke?"

Old 11-28-2010, 04:52 PM

2,399 posts, read 4,194,298 times
Quote:

Actually, you're closer to the truth, I think.

Most southerners, in wanting a coke, generally want a cola. This could mean a Coke, Pepsi, or RC Cola. However, since Coke is more ingrained in the South than Pepsi, and since more people prefer it, the standard for a cola is a coke. Yet, there are a few people who don't like Pepsi and literally do mean Coke.

In Summary.

Southerners generally won't say, "I'd like a Coke" to refer to a Mr. Pibb or Sprite. For those, they'll say "Mr. Pibb" or "Sprite".

However, with the colas, "Coke" is often used in the general, since Coke is the dominant cola in the region.

Now, most southerners won't say, "I'd like a soda". I think that a lot of black southerners will say this, but white southerners simply tend to refer to each flavored soft drink by their name, unless it's a cola, and for that, it can be "coke". Other times, they may simply use the name, whether Coke or Pepsi.

Old 11-29-2010, 09:47 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,832,267 times
Quote:
Why would some one do that?

Do you think there is some sort of cultural sympatico between Northeasterners and Midwesterners? If so, stop. No.

As odd as it sounds, Southerners and Northeasterners have a much older shared history...even if it is 85% hatin'. I can tell you though that there have been plenty of times when I've seen a Southerner, a Northerner and a Midwesterner in a room together...and the Southerner and Northerner are looking at the Midwesterner like they are crazy after something they said. Usually it's there insistence on calling soda "pop".

Oh, I see why. No matter how you squint your eyes or draw imaginary lines, it won't make a bit of difference. It is a fact that the South is the most heavily populated region of the United States. This is not something up for debate, it just is...whether you like that or not. Not sure why it would be a problem for you.

I don't understand this part.
No sympatico between Northeast and Midwest? Please stop..I'm living proof that such things exist..

There's also a little thing called "The Civil War", too..

Being "northern" doesn't stop at the Penn-Ohio state line; try telling a Minnesotan or a Wisconsonite that they don't live in a northern state, and see what kind of a response you get..

If I used a similar East/Midwest analogy, I could say that the South stops at the Georgia-Alabama border; anything west of this couldn't be the South, because it's too far west, but of course, you included Texas in your computations, so, again...fair is fair.

Just another example of the Atlanta Booster Squad ( ABS) in action..

Old 11-29-2010, 09:54 AM

3,643 posts, read 10,688,315 times
"Soda" is definitely not unheard of in the South. It's second to "coke" and in some places, it's more used than "coke" You would almost never hear "pop" in the South, except for parts of NE OK, my dad's family says "pop." Midwestern influence I guess.

Old 11-29-2010, 10:32 AM

50 posts, read 134,308 times
My family has always said "coke" for any soft drink. It was "we need to go to the store and get some cokes" but we'd buy Dr.Pepper, Mello Yello etc.

Old 11-29-2010, 10:54 AM

18,923 posts, read 43,211,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
Actually, you're closer to the truth, I think.

Most southerners, in wanting a coke, generally want a cola. This could mean a Coke, Pepsi, or RC Cola. However, since Coke is more ingrained in the South than Pepsi, and since more people prefer it, the standard for a cola is a coke. Yet, there are a few people who don't like Pepsi and literally do mean Coke.

In Summary.

Southerners generally won't say, "I'd like a Coke" to refer to a Mr. Pibb or Sprite. For those, they'll say "Mr. Pibb" or "Sprite".

However, with the colas, "Coke" is often used in the general, since Coke is the dominant cola in the region.

Now, most southerners won't say, "I'd like a soda". I think that a lot of black southerners will say this, but white southerners simply tend to refer to each flavored soft drink by their name, unless it's a cola, and for that, it can be "coke". Other times, they may simply use the name, whether Coke or Pepsi.

This is exactly how it works where I live, "coke" simply means the regular cola, it can be Coca-Cola, Pepsi, RC, or even a store brand.

I have never heard of Sprite, 7Up, or Dr Pepper referred to as "coke".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City