Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2010, 11:02 AM

117 posts, read 150,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterRabbit View Post
Baltimore
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2010, 01:59 PM

3,635 posts, read 10,745,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Well that doesn't mean much. I'm sure you can hear that kind of accent in New York City (and I have). The question though is how is that relevant to where that dialect formed? For every way a person speaks, there is a deeper story of local influences that are unique to that area.
you could maybe hear it every once in awhile in NY, but it's probably not that common. I hear this accent every day in Memphis. So I wouldn't label this as an exclusively Alabama accent, you could probably hear it all over the South, far moreso than in NY.

Old 11-19-2010, 03:01 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,310,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I think different accents are much more noticable in African Americans more than other races.
Id say its the same Although I will say I can tell what area of the south a person is from based on the way they talk. like black people in North Carolina do not sound the same as Texas or Tennesee or even Georgia.

mas23

Last edited by mas23; 11-19-2010 at 03:10 PM..

Old 11-19-2010, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
I'd say at least 1/3rd of the words she said is the way I say them.

Another interesting Southern accent is Chicago's, I always found it interesting since Chicago is at the same latitude as Boston (42°N).

I know I'm probably gonna get people upset with this comment :/
thats cause of the great migration. Ohter ethnicities in chicago do not have a southern accent but black people do (which is the case in most cities except the east coast). It really dont sound too southern among the younger generation but alot of older folks still retain the southern accent.

Old 11-19-2010, 03:18 PM

3,635 posts, read 10,745,280 times
I would say that Midwestern blacks have a slightly different accent from Southern blacks, although it is pretty close.

Judge Mathis (from Detroit) for instance, sounds Midwestern, not Southern

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Njz-IXyaxkI

Old 11-19-2010, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
I would say that Midwestern blacks have a slightly different accent from Southern blacks, although it is pretty close.

Judge Mathis (from Detroit) for instance, sounds Midwestern, not Southern

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Njz-IXyaxkI
I definitely agree. To the untrained ear it sounds all the same but it is slightly different. But yeah, Alot of the older folks do still have a sounthern sounding accent though.

BTW: LMAO @ that video. he said "You came in lookin ike a school teacher"!!ROFL

Old 11-20-2010, 12:34 PM

63 posts, read 93,864 times
Im a truck driver from NC and I can tell you that folks in Eastern KY and outside Louisville have a very strong Sourthern accent that is unique but I must also say that you will be hard pressed to find a Southern accent AND drawl similiar that of the locals in southeastern NC from Wilmington to Whiteville southward. And just for fun how many of yall know what a "spell" is? Lol

Old 11-20-2010, 10:11 PM

871 posts, read 2,247,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by just.a.good.ol.boy View Post
Im a truck driver from NC and I can tell you that folks in Eastern KY and outside Louisville have a very strong Sourthern accent that is unique but I must also say that you will be hard pressed to find a Southern accent AND drawl similiar that of the locals in southeastern NC from Wilmington to Whiteville southward. And just for fun how many of yall know what a "spell" is? Lol
areas with proximity to the appalachian mountains tend to have similar dialects. coastal carolina also sounds very different from western NC (whos dialect is very similar to the KY/TN one).

ive even found that northwest SC's accent is more akin to the KY/TN dialect, although i didnt think that western MS was too far off from it either.

the coastline's of the south have the most unique and regionalized accents in my opinion. the inland one's i actually think occur over larger swath's of land.

Old 11-20-2010, 11:39 PM

1,405 posts, read 2,449,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Maybe you should actually travel there and find out. That's like saying everyone in NYC in every borough sounds the same (which is far from true). Variations in dialect and accents vary everywhere, with only a minimal bond per region. The media has lied to you.

Here are the differences from various Southern cities

New Orleans

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpFDNTo4DNg

Charleston & coastal Carolina

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtY77SS4R-Q

The Atlanta East side accent (dying out unfortunately due to the infusion of 3 millon transplants over the last 30 years)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cW7SUBwVMRs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZw6iT_gcL8

The Atlanta south side accent (hasn't been affected as much by the presence of transplants)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7xFdFSymsI
Lol

Okay, so I went to school in Lithonia (in Dekalb County ATL) So I'm pretty sure I can speak on how some of them talked. I also traveled to Va as well as NC AND I was in ATL during the whole Katrina thing so New Orleans students came to my school at that time.

FOR ME People from the south sound the same, I can't explain it but once they say one word I can tell they're from the south (or west). That's why I say they all KIND OF sound the same. I didn't say they are.

When I lived in ATL, for a few, people said I talked "hard". (I still don't understand that.) They would say when I ask for something it sounds like I'm saying "axe" idk. I never hear it. I also have a friend in L.A who says the same thing about me. But some people like my "accent" so it's all good.

Old 11-20-2010, 11:49 PM

16,697 posts, read 29,515,591 times
Savannah/Charleston/Low Country
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City