Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the best city in the USA?
San Francisco(San Mateo, Marin counties) 41 40.59%
New York City(Suffolk, Nassau counties) 60 59.41%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 05:59 PM

1,030 posts, read 3,415,765 times

Advertisements

I would be really embarrassed to have created this thread and to have made the points that the OP has.

Old 11-19-2010, 08:08 PM

27,560 posts, read 28,659,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe84323 View Post
I would be really embarrassed to have created this thread and to have made the points that the OP has.
I'm still trying to figure out what those points are. This thread is challenging in a strange way.

Old 11-19-2010, 08:23 PM

2,419 posts, read 4,724,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I'm still trying to figure out what those points are. This thread is challenging in a strange way.
Then let the muthaf***a die already.

Old 11-19-2010, 09:26 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,252,682 times
New York by far. In San Francisco it is okay to drink urine in public but its not okay to eat a happy meal. That should say enough right there.

Old 11-19-2010, 09:53 PM

2,330 posts, read 3,811,724 times
Neither. They are both too big and too expensive. I am of the opinion that cities have a right size - big enough to have everything you want but not so big that life becomes a pain in the butt. Both cities fail in that regard. Also you need to be making 6 figures to have a decent quality of life which is not the case in much of the rest of the country. My choices would be Chicago, Minneapolis, Seattle or Portland, Ore.

As far as NY vs SF goes, my vote is west coast.

Old 11-20-2010, 01:17 AM

290 posts, read 570,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
Nyc doesnt mind going to long island beaches either whats your point?

New yorkers have to go to the meadowland whats your point? We would rather get to a football game through our own mass transit or without paying a toll than using nj transit or actually paying a toll to see "our" team play.

But it kind of works out anyway. We can just take all the credit for both teams leaving new jersey left with nothing just like with the up incoming superbowl. All of the glory comes to ny with none of the congestion or traffic. The only thing jersey gets is when the game announcer says,"live from eastrutherford new jersey" at the start of the game

If the 49ers move to Santa Clara(near San Jose) its like the Giants/Jets moving and playing in New Jersey. It would suck and Mayor Gavin Newsom said he would even sue the 49ers if they used the name San Francisco while playing in the South Bay.
But Im sure it has to suck to leave your own State just to see your home team play. Ontop of that you even have to pay a toll. Man that sucks. They shouldnt even be called the New York Jets/Giants, you might as well call them the New Jersey Jets and Giants because they play in another freakin STATE. No wonder New Yorkers dont even like football and no wonder the ones that do are Buffalo Bills fans. LOL

Old 11-20-2010, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
You still have not explained Novato and Pescadero over Oakland and Berkeley.

And with respect to NJ, let me just show you this:

http://isportsweb.com/wp-content/uploads//2010/08/New_Meadowlands_large.jpg (broken link)
I already explained that to you back in page 3 PAY ATTENTION!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by goonzy View Post
In the same way East Hampton and Glen Cove goes more with NYC then Newark, New Jersey or Yonkers, New York.
San Francisco goes more with Pescadero and Novato then with Oakland and Berkely. Oakland and Berkely are East Bay territory.
You fail to understand that the Bay Area is broken into 4 sub regions. You can never put cities together in diffrent regions unless your talking about the Bay Area as a whole.

Old 11-20-2010, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
I am a resident of Brooklyn (which is located on Long Island I might add) and I don't agree with you. Jersey City, NJ and Hoboken, NJ are much more integrated into New York City compared to Suffolk county, Long Island. If not for the arbitrary old colonial state divide, Jersey would've been a 6th borough a long time ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
If not for the arbitrary old colonial state divide Jersey would've been a 6th borough a long time ago.
Well reality check! That arbitrary colonial line your talking about is a modern day STATE LINE, one of the 50 stars on the flag, another state entirley with a different state supreme court, different state laws, different drivers license, its another state when you cross that river. The East bay and san francisco arnt even that divided. At least we are both Californians and we all function under the same laws and we pay the same taxes to our state and we use the same state services and resources. New York and New Jersey are seperate STATES. They are differnt LEGAL ENTITIES. Stop acting like they are the same thing.
NEWS FLASH*** New Jersey is not the 6th borough, its another state! The 6th borough is Long Island and I can post many credible sources and links that can show you this. Ask any New Yorker and the 6th borough is Long Island. Go ahead.... ask a New Yorker. This is a common knowledge people. Have any of you actully lived in New York City? How do you all not know this???
What about if I wanted to say that San Diego and Tijuana are the same thing because they are right next to each other and that we shouldnt let a little arbirtrary thing like an international border divide stop us from thinking otherwise.
There are many fallacies in your logic.

Old 11-20-2010, 02:18 AM

1,214 posts, read 2,519,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goonzy View Post
Well reality check! That arbitrary colonial line your talking about is a modern day STATE LINE, one of the 50 stars on the flag, another state entirley with a different state supreme court, different state laws, different drivers license, its another state when you cross that river. The East bay and san francisco arnt even that divided. At least we are both Californians and we all function under the same laws and we pay the same taxes to our state and we use the same state services and resources. New York and New Jersey are seperate STATES. They are differnt LEGAL ENTITIES. Stop acting like they are the same thing.
NEWS FLASH*** New Jersey is not the 6th borough, its another state! The 6th borough is Long Island and I can post many credible sources and links that can show you this. Ask any New Yorker and the 6th borough is Long Island. Go ahead.... ask a New Yorker. This is a common knowledge people. Have any of you actully lived in New York City? How do you all not know this???
What about if I wanted to say that San Diego and Tijuana are the same thing because they are right next to each other and that we shouldnt let a little arbirtrary thing like an international border divide stop us from thinking otherwise.
There are many fallacies in your logic.
You're the one who needs a reality check, and your "logic" is one giant hole. I already explained to you why state borders in different areas of the country don't matter but you ignore every post you can't answer. I cross the "border" between CT and MA everyday for school, and there is no culture shock, it's the same local region and there's no difference. That's life in the smaller states of a single country, wrap your head around that if you can try. It's cute how you try to pretend an international border and state line are the same thing, but your argument is not logical. A state border is not a national border, why don't you try to get that straight first. If you actually believe that's a comparable example, you're deluded. A state line makes no difference in an area where the local culture simply crosses over it, it isn't SF or all of CA over here, and it's not SD and Tijuana, but that's how it is here so get over it already. State lines DO NOT impact our daily lives in areas like these.

The difference of legal entities and which star we might be on the flag means nothing to people right across the river, or road, or a mile down the highway, or whatever from each other. You think the people in NYC relate more to people on the other side of Long Island than to the people right across the river who they share work, transportation, local culture, and living space with? And you wanna ask a real New Yorker? Here I am already telling you that JC is much more the "6th Borough" than LI, pretty much any NYer would tell you the same. Have you lived in NY? Its obvious you haven't, and you already admitted to us you have no expertise in the area. It's really laughable that you somehow think all of Long Island is more connected to the city, or that all of Marin County is more connected to SF for that matter, than JC or NNJ to NYC. You're definition of NY is wrong and completely imaginary, and that's all there is to it.

Old 11-20-2010, 02:20 AM

1,214 posts, read 2,519,897 times
And I've seen enough of your posts of constantly asking other posters to confirm what you say which they don't cause it's wrong, and threatening to post links proving everything you say that never materialize. Back yourself up if you can, and it's obvious you can't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City