Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the best city in the USA?
San Francisco(San Mateo, Marin counties) 41 40.59%
New York City(Suffolk, Nassau counties) 60 59.41%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 11:17 AM

290 posts, read 569,880 times

Advertisements

I know there are alot of threads comparing argubly the two most desirable cities in the country but they are usually a city vs city thread. And lets face it, its not fair to compare SF(47 sq miles) to NYC massive(301 sq miles).

I thought a comparison of the greater SF area vs the greater NYC area might be a much more better assesment. I must point out that when I say Greater I do not mean the East Bay or New Jersey.

Greater SF is defined as The San Francisco and Marin Peninsula while Greater NYC is defined as NYC and the rest of Long Island.
So its a battle of SF and its lovley peninsulas VS NYC and its many Islands.
To incorperate New Jersey and upstate NY in greater NYC is not entirely accurate and the same thing with including Oakland and the East Bay with San Francisco is not accurate. Diffrences and hostilities exsist once you cross the bridge. This thread is strickly a comparrison between NYC and its immediate suburbs of Long Island and SF and its imediate suburbs on the peninsulas.
Let me be exact
Greater SF = SF, San Mateo, Marin Counties and the peninsula portion of Santa Clara County witch is Palo Alto, Mountain View, Stanford, and Los Altos.
Greater NYC = NYC and all of Long Island (Sullfolk and Nassau counties)

Greater SF = about 1060 sq miles
Greater NYC = about 1500 sq miles.

As you can see, the size in sq miles in pretty much the same.

So lets us compare and determine witch is truly the Greatest City in AMERICA.

Old 11-18-2010, 11:29 AM

117 posts, read 149,944 times
-______________________________________-

Old 11-18-2010, 11:31 AM

I am going to say San Francisco because we have more freedoms then you do in NYC.
For example, we have cannibus clubs all over SF. NYC has bammer(shawg) and no cannibus clubs at all. Come on already its 2010, get over it. But in this regard NYC is still in the 18th century.
Also SF has better collegs and universities then NYC. SF has 2 UC's witch are top tier universitys plus we also have Stanford. Thats Stanford again if you missed it. We also have dozens of other universitys and colleges ranging in all type of fields.
SF has better weather, yes we might have some fog but at least it dosnt snow
Also SF has beatiful parks and scenery.We even have giant, ancient Redwood trees that are thousands of years old in Golden Gate national park. I doubt Long Island has anything that can even compare.
So between enjoying more liberties and freedoms, better weather, top tier universities and colleges and beatiful ancient majestic parks and not to mention that we are less crowed then NYC, I think the obvious answer here is San Francisco.
I like how Tony Bennet said it, "I've been terribly alone and forgotten in Manhattan
I'm going home to my city by the Bay." Thats from I left my heart in San Francisco.

Old 11-18-2010, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadruple or Nothing View Post
-______________________________________-

HAHAHAHa, U most be from Los Angeles or something. Nothing to say huh?

Old 11-18-2010, 11:34 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,182,626 times
I like them - but I think the title of the thread is going to bring it crashing down.

It shouldn't say which is the BEST in the USA. It should be which is the BEST between these two.

I don't think either is the BEST in the country.

Old 11-18-2010, 11:37 AM

10,106 posts, read 9,953,102 times
the Battle of the D-BAG cities

Old 11-18-2010, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
I like them - but I think the title of the thread is going to bring it crashing down.

It shouldn't say which is the BEST in the USA. It should be which is the BEST between these two.

I don't think either is the BEST in the country.

Of course they are the 2 best cities in the country.
What are you talking about?
What, you think Chicago or Los Angeles should be inlcuded in this thread? LOL, thats almost comical.
I will tell you what, You should make a thread of Chicago VS Los Angeles as the 3rd best city in the country. I wonder who would win?

Old 11-18-2010, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRedd View Post
the Battle of the D-BAG cities

What is a D-Bagg city?
By D-Bag do you mean Dirt Bag?
Please explain, I may not be up on your lingo.

Old 11-18-2010, 11:52 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
Quote:
To incorperate New Jersey and upstate NY in greater NYC is not entirely accurate and the same thing with including Oakland and the East Bay with San Francisco is not accurate.
Er, how are Novato and Pescadero more relevant to San Francisco than Oakland and Berkeley?

Old 11-18-2010, 11:54 AM

4,745 posts, read 5,568,351 times
Who cares?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City