Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 06:43 PM

106 posts, read 205,671 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am a Russian man in my 20s, living in Portland, OR. I am going to college for a business major right now, and I am planning to move out of here as soon as I am done. Portland is too laid back and too boring for me. I am tired of hippies and this small town feel. I know Seattle is a bigger city (especially considering the metro), but is it that much different from Portland? I have been to Seattle briefly and I have been to NYC a few times, mostly staying in the suburbs of NJ. I know these are two very different cities, and I agree how everyone says: "nothing is like NY", but I would still like some constructive advice. I like NY and NJ, but real estate is very expensive comparing to Seattle. I know there is quite a few Russians in Seattle, but there is way more in NYC. I like nightlife and night clubs, especially hip hop oriented ones, as well as the concerts, and I am not sure if Seattle would measure up in that sense. I would want to live outside the city though to recover in peace from wild urban nights. I like diversity, which I know Seattle lacks comparing to NY, and I am single so I need a good choice of women. I do like Seattle's overall less crazy life and cheaper prices. The Northwest rain does bother me, but it is not the deciding factor here. What would you recommend?

I appreciate everybody's input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2010, 07:15 PM

758 posts, read 1,960,525 times
NYC has a TON of Russians. Brooklyn, Queens and Staten Island actually have some majority-Russian neighborhoods. Not sure if this matters to you, but just saying.

IMO, Seattle and Portland are very, very similar. If you like Portland, you will probably be happy in Seattle. If you want something different, I would go with NYC.

Old 11-19-2010, 07:23 PM

Yea, it does matter. NY area has the most Russians in U.S. I do want something different for sure, I was just thinking if Seattle is different enough or not.
Thanks.

Old 11-19-2010, 10:45 PM

37,128 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Seattle and Portland can be very different cities and certainly is and feels more white collar, urban, and larger than Portland does. However, the clubbing nightlife isn't particularly pervasive there (though it's definitely more than what Portland has).

Seattle's an easy enough weekend trip for you to make before trying to make any decisions, so I'd probably visit a bit more before you decide if it's different enough from Portland.

Old 11-19-2010, 10:54 PM

Yea, I am going there for New Year's. We'll see how it goes.

Old 11-21-2010, 07:12 PM

Old 11-21-2010, 08:10 PM

5,462 posts, read 5,702,939 times
Did you check out Brighton Beach when you were in NYC?

I live here and Russian girls are HOT!!!
The club scene here is very solid. There is tons of Russian clubs here as well to chill and get completely ****ing wasted.

Old 11-21-2010, 09:18 PM

yea, i went there once, the main concern about nyc and the surroundings is the cost of living, mostly having to do with real estate, this is basically the only thing holding me back

Old 11-23-2010, 12:32 AM

Old 11-24-2010, 11:22 PM

any more?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City