Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has the best downtown?
Philadelphia 120 45.28%
Boston 99 37.36%
DC 46 17.36%
Voters: 265. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 08:14 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,152,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libohove90 View Post
I have a problem with this.

Since when does Chicago have "without doubt" the better downtown than Philly? Have you been to both Chicago and Philly?

Chicago has an amazing and large & super-tall skyline, but that doesn't mean it has an amazing downtown. In fact, downtown Chicago lacks street level retail for a downtown core its size in my opinion. Philly doesn't seem to be that way as Center City is more densely populated and more cohesive than downtown Chicago. I truly loved downtown Chicago for its cleanliness, greenness, architecture and its picturesque views, but it lacks that energetic buzz that comes from having many street level retail. Most of the buzz during the day time in downtown Chicago are people leaving or coming to work, or visitors/tourists strolling by. When the night comes, the place is just dead. Imagine being in a quiet place surrounded by tall and dark high-rises. Center City is more attractive for its cohesive urban set up, high amounts of street level retail, and a large local population. That gives Center City a mini-Manhattanesque vibe. Chicago sort of lacks that vibe...or at least it doesn't live up to the expectations that its world-class skyline would imply.

I don't understand where all the Chicago "without doubt" has the better downtown than Philly comes from. I'd say that is fairly debatable in some ways. New York, I get it, because New York destroys Philly in every frigging category...in fact, NY destroys every city in America in every frigging category with regards to having the best downtown. But that's not true for Chicago...hence, this is a presumption that I disagree with.
This post is hilarious! Have you ever heard of the Mag Mile? Its only competition in the US is 5th Ave to some degree. Plus the Loop has triple the number of restaurants than CC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2011, 08:41 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
This post is hilarious! Have you ever heard of the Mag Mile? Its only competition in the US is 5th Ave to some degree. Plus the Loop has triple the number of restaurants than CC.

Really? Not only is it not triple in the loop I believe the number in CC far exceeds the number in the loop actually

Old 07-05-2011, 09:03 AM

1,449 posts, read 2,185,449 times
Quote:
Incorrect. Most of Chicago's restaurant's are in the near north side and other neighborhoods continued north. I highly doubt the loop (not counting near northside) has triple the amount of restaurant's of Center city, let alone more .

Old 07-05-2011, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nephi215 View Post
Incorrect. Most of Chicago's restaurant's are in the near north side and other neighborhoods continued north. I highly doubt the loop (not counting near northside) has triple the amount of restaurant's of Center city, let alone more .

Agree and Chicago is a great restaurant city but the loop if anything is NOT the place to be or eat for that matter in the relative scale when in Chicago. Another great thing about Chicago is the number of great restaurants along the gold coast and also further west ijn places like Wicker Park etc. River north basically starts at the edge of the Lopp and runs parallel behind the Mag Mile but in all honestly and even with the number of new Highrise condos in River North it doesnt always feel like a DT per se and some of the best new places are even on the fringes of River North many in rehabbed warehouses and such - still Chicago is better food town overall than either of these three.

Old 07-05-2011, 09:35 AM

I've been to Chicago hundreds of times and I always stay at a hotel on Michigan not far from the Mag Mile. There are plenty of great restaurants there, especially along the river. I commented on his post because Philly does not have an area equal to the Mag Mile. Plus, the Loop is huge compared to CC, so of course it will have more restaurants. There are 747 restuarants in the Loop.

http://www.urbanspoon.com/n/2/129/Ch...op-restaurants

Old 07-05-2011, 09:37 AM

Quote:
I've been to Chicago hundreds of times and I always stay at a hotel on Michigan not far from the Mag Mile. There are plenty of great restaurants there, especially along the river. I commented on his post because Philly does not have an area equal to the Mag Mile. Plus, the Loop is huge compared to CC, so of course it will have more restaurants.

While there is no comparable area to the Mag Mile by a longshot - two things - One the Mag Mile is NOT in the loop nor DT and the Loop absolutely has no where close to the number of restaurants as Center City; nor DT DC or Boston for that matter

Your link has ~1/3rd of those listed (and many are delis and such) actually within the loop - even your map shows the concentration in River North (Not in the Loop)

Old 07-05-2011, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
While there is no comparable area to the Mag Mile by a longshot - two things - One the Mag Mile is NOT in the loop nor DT and the Loop absolutely has no where close to the number of restaurants as Center City; nor DT DC or Boston for that matter

Your link has ~1/3rd of those listed (and many are delis and such) actually within the loop - even your map shows the concentration in River North (Not in the Loop)
Semantics! Just like the link you posted when we discussed this the other 14 times showed restaurants far outside of CC.

Old 07-05-2011, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post

BTW - The Mag Mile is considered DT Chicago.

Old 07-05-2011, 10:14 AM

1,449 posts, read 2,185,449 times
Quote:
I've been to Chicago hundreds of times and I always stay at a hotel on Michigan not far from the Mag Mile. There are plenty of great restaurants there, especially along the river. I commented on his post because Philly does not have an area equal to the Mag Mile. Plus, the Loop is huge compared to CC, so of course it will have more restaurants. There are 747 restuarants in the Loop.

Loop Restaurants - Chicago | Urbanspoon
From your own link, I counted 781 in center city compared to the 747 for the loop and that's not even including the ones they counted for fringe neighborhoods but are actually located in center city.

Old 07-05-2011, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nephi215 View Post
From your own link, I counted 781 in center city compared to the 747 for the loop and that's not even including the ones they counted for fringe neighborhoods but are actually located in center city.
Kid and I have debated the same link on another thread. I think all of these links are questionable to some degree. Some of the restaurants aren't in CC either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City