Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has the best downtown?
Philadelphia 120 45.28%
Boston 99 37.36%
DC 46 17.36%
Voters: 265. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 04:15 PM

857 posts, read 1,366,190 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
Where ethnic groups succeed has nothing to do with the city... at all. It's funny that you mention DC as a "black" city when you have actually been losing flocks of blacks.

Number of black D.C. residents plummets as majority status slips away - The Washington Post

"DC" is the land of opportunity for black blah blah blah, but they're being priced out of the city?! Yeah that makes sense....

the land of opportunity for blacks is reserved for Atlanta.
Dont even waste your time..these guys are only digging themselves deeper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2012, 04:19 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,757,657 times
Quote:
Where ethnic groups succeed has nothing to do with the city... at all. It's funny that you mention DC as a "black" city when you have actually been losing flocks of blacks.

Number of black D.C. residents plummets as majority status slips away - The Washington Post

"DC" is the land of opportunity for black blah blah blah, but they're being priced out of the city?! Yeah that makes sense....

the land of opportunity for blacks is reserved for Atlanta.
Spoken like someone who is not black, go figure.....

By the way, low income black people are being priced out to the suburbs. Black professional are not however and many are returning to the city. This is the exact thing that is happening in Atlanta as well. Both cities are going to be well under 50% black in 2020. That however has nothing to do with the social class of the black population in relation to amenities in the region for black people. Philadelphia just doesn't have that type of scene for black people so why would professional black people be attracted to it? There is a reason Prince George's County is the richest concentration of black wealth in the nation. If you don't live here, you wouldn't understand.

Old 03-08-2012, 04:41 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,697,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Hey sherlock, you are the reason we are even in this debate. Yes, You! I said from the beginning center city was more vibrant than DC. Infact, I haven't really mentioned center city at all in this thread. I just posted projects going on in DC that are improving our city. Go back and read. When KidPhilly and yourself started attacking DC is when I shined a light on your city. I have a lot of family in Philly so I try not to shine a light on what Philly is really like for many of its residents. But, when you start attacking DC for no reason, that is when I feel it's neccesary to give you all a reality check. Center City is a very tiny part of Philadelphia and its not a good representation of most of the city unlike the DC core which is most of the city. What I said is no different than what many people experience living in areas outside of that tiny dot center city in relation to 90% of the city.
Hey Sherlock! We were just talking about cities... you were the one making personal attacks because we were proving to you how wrong you were. There were plenty of personal attacks... but this is the one that crossed the line...

"Lets be clear here! Philadelphia is dirty and poor compared to DC. The people look rough and the city looks rough. Philadelphia is not a white collar city, it is a blue collar city. Miles and miles of broke people and cheap housing. Philadelphia is not on anybody's radar. It's widely known that it is a poor blue collar city. People are not rushing to be in Philadlphia. It's dirty! If Philadelphia has built 90% of what DC is building already and still looks like a run down slum, then you wasted a whole bunch of money!"

So you're wrong once again... there were also plenty of low blows before this one... just admit that you're wrong and stop making yourself look like a fool. "You're barking up the wrong tree,"- a quote from you of course.

Old 03-08-2012, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Spoken like someone who is not black, go figure.....

By the way, low income black people are being priced out to the suburbs. Black professional are not however and many are returning to the city. This is the exact thing that is happening in Atlanta as well. Both cities are going to be well under 50% black in 2020. That however has nothing to do with the social class of the black population in relation to amenities in the region for black people. Philadelphia just doesn't have that type of scene for black people so why would professional black people be attracted to it? There is a reason Prince George's County is the richest concentration of black wealth in the nation. If you don't live here, you wouldn't understand.
How do you know I'm not black? Can you see me? I could be a Kenyan Tribal Leader for all you know.

Old 03-08-2012, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Hey Sherlock! We were just talking about cities... you were the one making personal attacks because we were proving to you how wrong you were. There were plenty of personal attacks... but this is the one that crossed the line...

"Lets be clear here! Philadelphia is dirty and poor compared to DC. The people look rough and the city looks rough. Philadelphia is not a white collar city, it is a blue collar city. Miles and miles of broke people and cheap housing. Philadelphia is not on anybody's radar. It's widely known that it is a poor blue collar city. People are not rushing to be in Philadlphia. It's dirty! If Philadelphia has built 90% of what DC is building already and still looks like a run down slum, then you wasted a whole bunch of money!"

So you're wrong once again... there were also plenty of low blows before this one... just admit that you're wrong and stop making yourself look like a fool. "You're barking up the wrong tree,"- a quote from you of course.
That was sparked by you all calling DC sterile. Now, you go find the personal attack toward Philly from us that caused you all to throw that insult....

Good luck!

As for the "barking up the wrong tree"...I said that because you were. That is not an insult. I was telling you we have way more going on than Philly trying to stop you from wasting your time trying to compete in development. Are you really trying to say that was an insult toward Philly? Calling DC sterile however is the same as calling Philly dirty so we are even!

Old 03-08-2012, 04:50 PM

Quote:
How do you know I'm not black? Can you see me? I could be a Kenyan Tribal Leader for all you know.
Are you? I don't know any black people that would have responded the way you did. I know Caucasians try to think glass ceilings don't exist in many cities but they do. Manhattan is one of the largest ones anywhere.

Old 03-08-2012, 04:53 PM

http://higley1000.com/about-this-sit...ology/top-25-b

Oh look... look at that... what is number one on the list? Wow... Philadelphia?! What?! No way. I thought Philadelphia wasn't a destination for blacks? No blacks want to be here? Right? West Mt. Airy is actually an upper middle class black neighborhood IN THE CITY of Philadelphia.. there are also some wealthy blacks living here... this in the city limits as well, unlike Prince George's County... which I do agree with you is a very prestigious wealthy black area.

D.C. and Atlanta both have some very wealthy areas that are predominately African American, but to say Philly has no wealthy, rich, affluent or well off blacks is just a down right falsity... and to say Philly is a place that no blacks want to be is an even bigger falsity. Once again you clearly have no idea what you are talking about...

Oh and btw... I never called D.C. "sterile," you can go back if and look if you like... but for some reason I get blamed for all of this?

Okay you are just salty and emotional towards me because I proved you wrong 90% of the time.

Next time I visit D.C. we'll grab a drink

Old 03-08-2012, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Are you? I don't know any black people that would have responded the way you did. I know Caucasians try to think glass ceilings don't exist in many cities but they do. Manhattan is one of the largest ones anywhere.
So you can tell if someone is black by the way they communicate over the internet?

Old 03-08-2012, 05:00 PM

1,449 posts, read 2,187,989 times
Talking about little dots is hilarious especially since Downtown DC has a whopping 8,000 people. MDAllstar you are hilarious.

Old 03-08-2012, 05:16 PM

Quote:
http://higley1000.com/about-this-sit...ology/top-25-b

Oh look... look at that... what is number one on the list? Wow... Philadelphia?! What?! No way. I thought Philadelphia wasn't a destination for blacks? No blacks want to be here? Right? West Mt. Airy is actually an upper middle class black neighborhood IN THE CITY of Philadelphia.. there are also some wealthy blacks living here... this in the city limits as well, unlike Prince George's County... which I do agree with you is a very prestigious wealthy black area.

D.C. and Atlanta both have some very wealthy areas that are predominately African American, but to say Philly has no wealthy, rich, affluent or well off blacks is just a down right falsity... and to say Philly is a place that no blacks want to be is an even bigger falsity. Once again you clearly have no idea what you are talking about...

Oh and btw... I never called D.C. "sterile," you can go back if and look if you like... but for some reason I get blamed for all of this?

Okay you are just salty and emotional towards me because I proved you wrong 90% of the time.

Next time I visit D.C. we'll grab a drink
Nope, I didn't say that. Go back and read. I said all of that in a comparison of D.C. and Philadelphia. I said Philadelphia doesn't have wealthy black people compared to D.C. That doesn't mean they don't exist there. I also said, why would I want to live in Philadelphia where black professionals are not in abundance culturally like they are in D.C. That goes for social interaction. That type of network just doesn't exist there like it does in DC. We have a higher class of black people here in much higher numbers. It's just a reality. That is why I said, why would I think Philadelphia is better than D.C.? Black people come in droves from as far north as NYC and as far south as Norfolk on the weekends to party in D.C. Ever heard of Club LOVE? How about 14th and Park? Have you heard of the U Street strip? Full of professional black people. It's a beautiful thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City