Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has the best downtown?
Philadelphia 120 45.28%
Boston 99 37.36%
DC 46 17.36%
Voters: 265. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 06:27 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,694,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
yeah because that dead space next to sugarhouse is for everyone who rides PATCO to just kinda wonder...

philly was poorly planned. so was nyc. real city council members actually do something about it
You do realize the entire waterfront was filled with industrial buildings and manufacturing plants right? That are just starting to be knocked down to build residential buildings. The stadiums were built at the sports complex before the factories were abandoned

You guys really know nothing do you?

Stop being sour because Philly clobbered DC in this poll... and it will clobber DC in every poll
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2012, 06:43 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,456,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
Wanna be rappers?! Haha Philly invented Gangsta Rap

And you must've driven through North Philly... sucks for you
I know you're new here...but I can assure you killakoolaid isn't dissing Philadelphia haha. That's not his game. He's a Philadelphian through and through.

Old 03-09-2012, 06:45 PM

Quote:
You do realize the entire waterfront was filled with industrial buildings and manufacturing plants right? That are just starting to be knocked down to build residential buildings. The stadiums were built at the sports complex before the factories were abandoned

You guys really know nothing do you?

Stop being sour because Philly clobbered DC in this poll... and it will clobber DC in every poll
Let's be serious: it's to make room for cars. Almost any new stadium is going to build for this, and Philadelphia was no different in its decision to build the sports complex outside of Center City.

Old 03-09-2012, 07:02 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,963,986 times
Quote:
Wanna be rappers?! Haha Philly invented Gangsta Rap

And you must've driven through North Philly... sucks for you
I think Killakoolaid is from philly.

Old 03-09-2012, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
I know it's bs to you but it's a fact that I can back up 8 days a week. Take that wit ya..... Hit cha, back split cha....RIP B.I.G. Greatest that ever did it.
I didn't realize why you brought up Biggie for a minute. Didn't know it was the 15th Anniversary of his death....crazy. Dude was incredible.

Old 03-09-2012, 07:14 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,651,760 times
Quote:
It's called good Urban planning. Dowtown Philly is so dense and so filled with Historic buildings, there was not room to fit giant stadiums... if you think about it their location makes perfect sense. Plus the only stadium that is supposed to be downtown is a basketball stadium... not all of them.
Before tooting the horn of Philly planning too hard, don't forget that over the last 3-4 decades dozens of entire blocks of significant historic buildings were blitzed to build the gallery & the convention center, which (especially now) take up as much room as any stadium. Not to mention the amazing buildings that were lost to clear Independence Mall 2 decades earlier...only to come back later and decide that it was "too big". None of those projects are without controversy from a planning standpoint. IMO the convention center is a complete travesty.

Although my personal opinion is that downtown stadiums are overrated, and I'm fine with the fact that they couldn't figure out a way to put one in Center City - it's not like the sports complex is far away or hard to get to.

Old 03-09-2012, 08:59 PM

2,939 posts, read 4,124,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotodome View Post
Before tooting the horn of Philly planning too hard, don't forget that over the last 3-4 decades dozens of entire blocks of significant historic buildings were blitzed to build the gallery & the convention center, which (especially now) take up as much room as any stadium. Not to mention the amazing buildings that were lost to clear Independence Mall 2 decades earlier...only to come back later and decide that it was "too big". None of those projects are without controversy from a planning standpoint. IMO the convention center is a complete travesty.

Although my personal opinion is that downtown stadiums are overrated, and I'm fine with the fact that they couldn't figure out a way to put one in Center City - it's not like the sports complex is far away or hard to get to.
Well said. The convention center is an absolute disgrace - and worse - they knocked down a bunch more two years ago so they could expand the thing.

They should've put it down on Pattison Ave.

Don't even get me started on Bacon and his Mall. Looking at this picture makes me sick to think what that area would be like today if it was still intact.
http://www.phillyhistory.org/PhotoAr...eam.ashx?id=18

I'm also glad that the stadiums didn't wind up in Center City but I think that hockey/basketball or a baseball stadium would've done well over the yards at 30th St. Football is less of a big deal because there's only 8 home games per season. The other sports should have better regional rail access.

Old 03-09-2012, 09:22 PM

2,939 posts, read 4,124,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Commuter Rail is the reason suburbs are car centric.
Philadelphia commuter rail predates the automobile by 60 years. One has nothing to do with the other.

Quote:
You can't use it as a car free option like Metro in the suburbs.
Sure you can. There are plenty of people who do it in places like Media, Ambler, Ardmore, Mt. Airy, Chestnut Hill, Conshohocken, Germantown Manayunk, etc.

Quote:
Metro is the most innovative approach to public transit for a region that will allow even our suburbs in D.C. to live car free. We are building streetcars and lightrail to fill in the gap as well as adding capital bike share everywhere from the city to the suburbs. Our suburbs have an amazing advantage on every other region except San Francisco which also has the potential to do this.
this has nothing to do with whether or not those areas have metro service (compared to bus or light rail service) but rather that they offer dense living environments with a lot of amenities, have good transit service and are a short commute to downtown. Arlington would be just as liveable without a car if the transit option was lightrail or rapid bus. OTOH, I wouldn't try to live in Vienna without a car.

Quote:
D.C.'s suburbs have 3-5 minute peak frequency. Your inner cities don't even have that frequency. This built in advantage is shaping our region for the future allowing city level intensity miles from the city core. Tyson's Corner is becoming it's own city in it's own right as we speak because of Metro which will be complete out there next year. 3-5 minute frequency allows city living everywhere. Build it and they will come.
First, I can't speak for Boston but Philly's blue line does run on 3 minute headways during rush hour and so does the red line for that matter. The orange line local trains don't run that frequently because there's a whole other express track with trains running at 6 minute headways to two different destinations. The green line runs with headways that are more like 45 seconds.

Second, Metro hasn't figured out how it's going to pay for all the maintenance they've been deferring for the last 30 years but they're spending $billions on a new line to the airport. The system is literally falling apart. I can heap criticism on SEPTA as much as anyone but one thing they deserve credit for is for taking a system that was crumbling and putting it back to a good state of repair over the last 30 years.

Waterfront light rail, Route 100 extension to King of Prussia and the Roosevelt Blvd subway are going to completely change the nature of transit in Philly and completely change Center City.

Old 03-10-2012, 11:28 PM

886 posts, read 1,563,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Your posts are genius!
You should be thanking me, my taxes feed your family. LOL D.C. wishes it was on Boston and Phillys level

Old 03-11-2012, 08:03 AM

57 posts, read 63,354 times
On a strictly downtown tip, Philly is very hard to beat. Philly - DC - Boston, unless you really really love museums in which case D.C. could leap ahead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City