Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has the best downtown?
Philadelphia 120 45.28%
Boston 99 37.36%
DC 46 17.36%
Voters: 265. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 01:48 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,853,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Historic homes run a large gamut (for the US, several centuries and with a lot of different building styles, materials, and technology). I'm most into gothic revival and art deco stuff for the most part, but I do like A LOT of modern stuff especially googie. The stuff that's getting put up in DC though is terrifyingly dull. I mean, do they not expect to have to look at the damn things for the next several decades at least? Just awful.
Some of the mixed use buildings here in LA look like the stuff that is going up in DC (some not all) - I wonder the same thing. What is this going to look like in 20, 30, 50 years?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2012, 01:58 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
People may not like the architecture being built in D.C. in the core, but it's way better than what Philadelphia is building right on the outside of center city. This is a gentrification no-no. I will take D.C. gentrification over this suburban oasis in Philadelphia any day. How is center city going to expand it's boundaries and grow when the city of Philadelphia is allowing single family houses like this to be built on the center city border?

This is 0.8 miles from the Philadelphia Convention Center
philadelphia pa - Google Maps

Also the Housing Project in that link is probably more than 10 years old now, I agree was an awful idea. Also its not in Center City to begin with.

In terms of what is being built in the city, some good some bad, would say the same for DC; what are the horrible projects going up in Center City or just outside you reference though?

Was it 10 Rittenhouse? 2112 Chestnut? am curious honestly MD as you act like this is the type of development generally taking place all over CC in your little DC pump fest. So please eloborate as I am curious. I can name about 5 that I personally dont like and a bunch more I do but do tell.

Is this Bad?
Philadelphia, PA - Google Maps

Or this?

Or this?

am just curious where all these awful

Also here some recent projects outside the core

Which are all vastly more typical of the development style as opposed to a housing project that was awful built more than 10 years ago

Old 03-15-2012, 02:02 PM

37,135 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
Sigh. Don't post anything about a city if you do not know what you are talking about. First those suburban homes you posted are projects. Second it's in about three square blocks. Third this is North Philly... not Center City. This area of Lower North Philadelphia is being gentrified and when gentrification gets to this area these houses can easily be knocked down and replaced... these buildings are made out of cheap materials and do not cost much... demo of them will not cost much either since there is not many of them. Come on MDAllstar you're supposed to be the development "Allstar" here you should know this stuff. PHA made the mistake of building these suburban like projects. The Planning Commission for Philly realized the mistakes, gave PHA a slap on the wrists and now they are building very urban again. Here is an example of the new designs.

This entire suburban area you pointed out is West Poplar. The area will be leveled and completely redeveloped one day

philadelphia pa - Google Maps
These are surprisingly not awful looking. Not great, but not awful. Why did they make them two-tone though with the brick showing at ground level? Why not continue the streamlined look throughout the whole thing?

But compared to the constructions kidphilly just posted, not awful.

Old 03-15-2012, 02:37 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,694,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
These are surprisingly not awful looking. Not great, but not awful. Why did they make them two-tone though with the brick showing at ground level? Why not continue the streamlined look throughout the whole thing?

But compared to the constructions kidphilly just posted, not awful.
I have no idea lol. But I enjoy these too.

There are a ton of beautiful new developments in the city though and more planned

[IMG]http://media.philly.com/images/600*450/20110708_inq_sky08-c.JPG[/IMG]

Old 03-15-2012, 02:39 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,694,435 times
Here are more new developments in links

New in Templetown

Here is a new development in South Philadelphia
http://g.co/maps/pv8vh

Here is one in University City
http://g.co/maps/89q4n

Another in University City
http://g.co/maps/3aacp

UCity
http://g.co/maps/8udk2

UCity
http://g.co/maps/yubvc

Old City
http://g.co/maps/br9rn

Old City
http://g.co/maps/8mj5r

Chinatown
http://g.co/maps/th8ns

Templetown
http://g.co/maps/qtkge

Templetown (this is the back of the building... the front is in a courtyard that you can not get to with google maps)
http://g.co/maps/4n754

East Falls
http://g.co/maps/hsscm

Last edited by RightonWalnut; 03-15-2012 at 03:11 PM..

Old 03-15-2012, 02:45 PM

857 posts, read 1,365,795 times
MDsFailure stays talking about areas outside of DT.

Old 03-15-2012, 04:33 PM

7,270 posts, read 10,593,477 times
Again, not all of the development projects going in cities are going to be architectural masterpieces. That has never been the case in the history of buildings, and that certainly will not be the case now. In my view, any project that adheres to fundamental urban form and adds to street vibrancy is still a net plus -- especially in neighborhoods that have not seen new development in decades.

I also know that in Philadelphia (and other cities, I'm sure) neighborhoods organizations that are seeing upticks in development are starting to become much more sophisticated about their planning and design principles. As developers work with neighborhood organizations, I think more and more new development will be designed with much more thought and creativity. To some extent, though, beauty will always be in the eye of the beholder.

Last edited by Duderino; 03-15-2012 at 04:45 PM..

Old 03-15-2012, 06:10 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,751,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Also the Housing Project in that link is probably more than 10 years old now, I agree was an awful idea. Also its not in Center City to begin with.

In terms of what is being built in the city, some good some bad, would say the same for DC; what are the horrible projects going up in Center City or just outside you reference though?

Was it 10 Rittenhouse? 2112 Chestnut? am curious honestly MD as you act like this is the type of development generally taking place all over CC in your little DC pump fest. So please eloborate as I am curious. I can name about 5 that I personally dont like and a bunch more I do but do tell.

Is this Bad?

Or this?

Or this?

Which are all vastly more typical of the development style as opposed to a housing project that was awful built more than 10 years ago
You must have forgotten what we were talking about. I posted this area just to the north of center city in response to the conversation I was having with a Philadelphia poster earlier in the thread. The Philly poster tried to claim that center city will not always represent such a tiny place and will expand beyond it's borders like D.C. also. He referenced area's around center city that are being redeveloped and will expand center city's downtown urban form. I posted this area because it shows a fundamental flaw in redevelopment around the borders of center city that will stop the downtown area from expanding outward. There is just too much development in the way around center city for it to ever really grow as an uninterrupted large downtown area.

That Philly poster could have just said center city is fine just the way it is and packs a serious punch for such a small area. I would never disagree with that. He didn't want to leave it at that though. He tried to act like center city is going to swallow Philadelphia like downtown D.C. is doing to the District which is just not going to happen. D.C. has a built in advantage of 50 year old Martin Luther King riot blight which is one of the only reason's D.C. is doing so much building. When a city burns, you rebuild it and that is what D.C. is doing.

Think about the area's seeing development in D.C......

Shaw = Crack/heroin ravaged area that also burned in the Martin Luther King Fires

Mid City =Crack/heroin ravaged area that also burned in the Martin Luther King Fires

Columbia Heights = Crack/heroin ravaged area

Penn Quarter = Crack/heroin ravaged area

NOMA = Crack/heroin ravaged area that was mainly industrial

Capitol Riverfront = Crack/heroin ravaged area

SW Waterfront = Crack/heroin ravaged area

Atlas District = Crack/heroin ravaged area that also burned in the Martin Luther King Fires

Old 03-15-2012, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
I have no idea lol. But I enjoy these too.

There are a ton of beautiful new developments in the city though and more planned

These look just like many of the developments going up in D.C. yet if Philadelphia is building them, they are ok. Why am I not surprised!

Old 03-15-2012, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post

Is this Bad?

Or this?

Or this?

So, basically, everything is being built south of center city? I wonder why? Sad really.....Don't you think those people north of center city deserve to have this type of development too?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City