Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is more Urban
Atlanta 19 15.83%
San Francisco 101 84.17%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 06:09 PM

1,868 posts, read 3,066,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by japster28 View Post
ATL is more concentrated with sprawl, its city proper represents around a fifth of the total metro population...or something like that, I'm not a math expert

SF is also like that but has a more compressed population with much of it being in SF proper, Oakland, and probably in the south and eastern suburbs.

ATL is really spread out, I heard its sprawl is in NC already

So I'm gonna say SF is more urban
When in the world did Atlanta sprawl all the way to North Carolina? This is news to me...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2010, 06:40 PM

1,666 posts, read 2,839,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
No one is saying every street in the city has to be like that, but it is desirable to at least have your main thoroughfares be pedestrian-friendly with a mix of uses. Residential neighborhoods are going to be much more subdued.
I just got tired of being bumped into. Almost thrown down a flight of subway stairs from people rushing to subway etc. But one thing I do like is street shopping

Old 11-24-2010, 07:37 PM

442 posts, read 827,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandIke27 View Post
I just got tired of being bumped into. Almost thrown down a flight of subway stairs from people rushing to subway etc. But one thing I do like is street shopping
It's this attitude that will keep Atlanta from fully densifying/urbanizing. I hope most people living OTP don't feel this way.

Old 11-24-2010, 08:23 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,809,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by japster28 View Post
ATL is really spread out, I heard its sprawl is in NC already
Isn't the Chatahoocchee National Forest pretty much the GA/NC border? There's little urbanization there period, let alone "sprawl"

Old 11-24-2010, 09:12 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,299,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Which metro/city provides a greater urban lifestyle?
Seeing as your question is subjective, it really depends on what each poster feels is an urban lifestyle. And how exactly is lifestyle being defined? If this were a question on urban area, built environment, things that can actually be measured, then the obvious answer might be SF easily. But, given that it is up to the poster (in this case me) to define an urban lifestyle, as Southerner I go Atlanta for the Southern urban lifestyle.

Old 11-24-2010, 11:14 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,786,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8t View Post
This is just another Atlanta bash thread and it's getting old. Can we have this thread deleted?
So transparent.Totally agree with you.Atlanta is definitely not as urban as San Francisco.I don't know anyone who would say that.As long as i been on this site I have not heard anyone say that.Just starting trouble and trying to set traps.

Old 11-24-2010, 11:30 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,515,219 times
IMHO....San Francisco is more "urbanized". Urban area - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
List of United States urban areas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Although this is a subjective question.......the urban populations of both cities are fairly close....I'm basing my "decision" primarily on urban density.

Old 11-25-2010, 05:04 AM

1,666 posts, read 2,839,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8t View Post
It's this attitude that will keep Atlanta from fully densifying/urbanizing. I hope most people living OTP don't feel this way.
whoever you are. I have nothing against urbanism.. I just get aggravated at all the foot traffic because of the things that i have experienced.. I would never vote against improving the city core because of my own personal issue..That would be very selfish of me.

Old 11-25-2010, 07:38 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,929,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandIke27 View Post
whoever you are. I have nothing against urbanism.. I just get aggravated at all the foot traffic because of the things that i have experienced.. I would never vote against improving the city core because of my own personal issue..That would be very selfish of me.
I am with you, It is not for me either, I appreciate it from a far

Old 12-18-2010, 04:17 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,496,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
Seeing as your question is subjective, it really depends on what each poster feels is an urban lifestyle. And how exactly is lifestyle being defined? If this were a question on urban area, built environment, things that can actually be measured, then the obvious answer might be SF easily. But, given that it is up to the poster (in this case me) to define an urban lifestyle, as Southerner I go Atlanta for the Southern urban lifestyle.
True, it is how you definite it, personally I think the southern urban lifestyle actually might exist better in Charleston or New Orleans and South Beach. Now maybe for the best amenities Atlanta might well win that but that isn't how I definite it, it probably is the best in the south in terms of that. But for what I want is ...hich means I don't want to drive ever, and walk to everything I need w/in a few blocks, over multiple locations (not meaning big box chain stuff), extremely bike friendly as well. UHH how did I bump this thread, was there a ghost post before me? :I
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City