Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The More Urban City (s)?
Jersey City/Hoboken 37 51.39%
San Francisco 37 51.39%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 08:00 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
You can't really compare DC to many cities because it is a District cut out of a state. You have Rosslyn, Crystal City, Pentagon City, Clarendon, Ballston, Court House, Alexandria, Silver Spring, and Bethesda. San Fransico can't compete with all these Urban CBD's that all surround DC and most used to belong to DC. But like I said before, its not really a good comparision because DC is just a different animal. Not to mention....DC metro has over 3 times the riders of Bart. Metro daily ridership is at 1,044,000 daily riders in Q2 of 2010.

SF is a lot more urban than DC, DC is the least urban city in the NE

I have lived in DC and SF, as well as Philly and NYC - DC is the significant laggard to all those, obviously NYC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2010, 08:44 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,751,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
SF is a lot more urban than DC, DC is the least urban city in the NE

I have lived in DC and SF, as well as Philly and NYC - DC is the significant laggard to all those, obviously NYC

It's obvious you moved a long time ago like maybe 1990 and haven't returned. The DMV isn't the same place from even last year 2009 lol. Downtown has exploded and is booming right now. It has been for the last decade or so with development literally in every corner and expanding daily. LOL at D.C. being the least Urban in the NE. Did you know the DMV is second to only NYC for percentage of people who use transportation other than cars by the way. That includes walking, bikes, metro, commuter rail buses, etc. When exactly was the last time you visited the DMV?

This is why I said you can't include D.C. in these comparisons because D.C. comprises so much. Arlington, Silver Spring, and Bethesda all share borders with D.C. and really can't be separated. Alexandria is also right next to D.C. D.C. is now the DMV by the way. I don't know if you were here when the name was coined.

Old 11-29-2010, 10:45 PM

Quote:
It's obvious you moved a long time ago like maybe 1990 and haven't returned. The DMV isn't the same place from even last year 2009 lol. Downtown has exploded and is booming right now. It has been for the last decade or so with development literally in every corner and expanding daily. LOL at D.C. being the least Urban in the NE. Did you know the DMV is second to only NYC for percentage of people who use transportation other than cars by the way. That includes walking, bikes, metro, commuter rail buses, etc. When exactly was the last time you visited the DMV?

This is why I said you can't include D.C. in these comparisons because D.C. comprises so much. Arlington, Silver Spring, and Bethesda all share borders with D.C. and really can't be separated. Alexandria is also right next to D.C. D.C. is now the DMV by the way. I don't know if you were here when the name was coined.

Yes metro, key point on transit. And Rosslyn, Arlington, Silver Spring, Bethesda etc are not uber urban either, if that is is your perspective of urban you have not spent time in NYC, Boston, Philly, Chicago, SF. I moved out of DC in 1999, though am there proably every other month or so these days.

On my last visit, it was the weekend before Halloween actually

And while I agree it has gotten better you are kidding yourself to call it more urban than NYC/Boston/Philly or SF for that matter

I lived off king street in old town and in the district, as well as in Mclean, I know DC very well, seriously, and still am there a few times a year

And honestly, Philly actually has denser areas that abut the border than DC, why is it that DC somehow feels it is the only city that has populated centers on it's physical border, that is typical, not atypical, DC is growing and has had a ton of growth in the last 20 years, even said it is still smaller than Philly, though gaining.

Old 11-29-2010, 11:05 PM

13 posts, read 42,962 times
Kidphilly, I don't think think mdallstar was saying that dc was more urban. I think he meant that when you consider the other CBDs in the DC area it becomes rather large in terms of the number of urban centers that other more urban cities don't have. And I agree with that....of course with the exception of NYC.

But yes I agree that SF, Boston, Philly and Chicago are more urban than DC. I'm not mentioning NYC because it would be laughable since it's an urban Disney World.

Old 11-29-2010, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrpopy View Post
Kidphilly, I don't think think mdallstar was saying that dc was more urban. I think he meant that when you consider the other CBDs in the DC area it becomes rather large in terms of the number of urban centers that other more urban cities don't have. And I agree with that....of course with the exception of NYC.

But yes I agree that SF, Boston, Philly and Chicago are more urban than DC. I'm not mentioning NYC because it would be laughable since it's an urban Disney World.

Well I feel honored, your first word in your first post sound magical

And NYC is definatly it's own animal, truly

Old 11-29-2010, 11:23 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,751,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Yes metro, key point on transit. And Rosslyn, Arlington, Silver Spring, Bethesda etc are not uber urban either, if that is is your perspective of urban you have not spent time in NYC, Boston, Philly, Chicago, SF. I moved out of DC in 1999, though am there proably every other month or so these days.

On my last visit, it was the weekend before Halloween actually

And while I agree it has gotten better you are kidding yourself to call it more urban than NYC/Boston/Philly or SF for that matter

I lived off king street in old town and in the district, as well as in Mclean, I know DC very well, seriously, and still am there a few times a year

And honestly, Philly actually has denser areas that abut the border than DC, why is it that DC somehow feels it is the only city that has populated centers on it's physical border, that is typical, not atypical, DC is growing and has had a ton of growth in the last 20 years, even said it is still smaller than Philly, though gaining.
I don't think D.C. is more urban than Philadelphia and not even close to NYC. Baltimore yes. Boston debatable. But in about 10-15 years the DMV will be more urban than Philly though. With all the highrises going up in neighborhoods that had low density and with the 37 mile city wide street car project under construction that already has planned transient development underway. The purple line light rail that will wrap around D.C.'s MD suburbs like a circle connecting all the metro lines also has big time planned development underway and planned. It's only a matter of time. The density in D.C. is exploding not to mention the surrounding area's like Tyson's Corner's CBD projected to have over 100,000 residents in 20 years with the arrival of metro in 2013 up from only 10,000 residents currently.

Also, the North Bethesda White Flint 355 corridor project that is suppose to be bigger than Tyson's Corner when complete. They are knocking down all the strip malls and gridding all the streets to make a massive CBD all the way up 355 from Bethesda to Gaithersburg. Towers of 40+ floors are proposed and others are already under construction. They want to make it a walkable boulevard with Bike lanes and very high density. The red metro line already runs underground in many areas on 355 so it's ahead of the curve.

Old 11-30-2010, 10:35 AM

Quote:
I don't think D.C. is more urban than Philadelphia and not even close to NYC. Baltimore yes. Boston debatable. But in about 10-15 years the DMV will be more urban than Philly though. With all the highrises going up in neighborhoods that had low density and with the 37 mile city wide street car project under construction that already has planned transient development underway. The purple line light rail that will wrap around D.C.'s MD suburbs like a circle connecting all the metro lines also has big time planned development underway and planned. It's only a matter of time. The density in D.C. is exploding not to mention the surrounding area's like Tyson's Corner's CBD projected to have over 100,000 residents in 20 years with the arrival of metro in 2013 up from only 10,000 residents currently.

Also, the North Bethesda White Flint 355 corridor project that is suppose to be bigger than Tyson's Corner when complete. They are knocking down all the strip malls and gridding all the streets to make a massive CBD all the way up 355 from Bethesda to Gaithersburg. Towers of 40+ floors are proposed and others are already under construction. They want to make it a walkable boulevard with Bike lanes and very high density. The red metro line already runs underground in many areas on 355 so it's ahead of the curve.

Would be nice if other metros could share in the gov't influenced endeavors, DC is priviledged on the rest of our dime

And Tysons needs help - I am not sure which is less desirable KOP or Tysons - anything will help get that area more character, most of the other DMV centers are way ahead of Tysons in this regard

Old 11-30-2010, 08:21 PM

36,657 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Quote:
You can't really compare DC to many cities because it is a District cut out of a state. You have Rosslyn, Crystal City, Pentagon City, Clarendon, Ballston, Court House, Alexandria, Silver Spring, and Bethesda. San Fransico can't compete with all these Urban CBD's that all surround DC and most used to belong to DC. But like I said before, its not really a good comparision because DC is just a different animal. Not to mention....DC metro has over 3 times the riders of Bart. Metro daily ridership is at 1,044,000 daily riders in Q2 of 2010.
Actually with respect to density, DC is nowhere near SF. And neither is its suburbs.

Admittedly this is data from 2000, but it gives us an idea:

Zip Code Population Density(15,000+)
20009 DC 34,023 per sq mile
20010 DC 31,264 per sq mile
20037 DC 15,319 per sq mile

In 2000, no DC Area town in either MD or VA had a zip code with more than 15,000 persons per square mile.

And speaking of Jersey City and Hoboken, they had 4:

New Jersey(15,000+)
07030 Hoboken 30,241 per sq mile
07306 Jersey City 24,200 per sq mile
07307 Jersey City 19,680 per sq mile
07302 Jersey City 18,176 per sq mile

San Francisco had a bit more:

San Francisco(15,000+)
94109 50,399 per sq mile
94102 44,453 per sq mile
94108 40,340 per sq mile
94133 34,743 per sq mile
94110 30,303 per sq mile
94115 28,728 per sq mile
94112 22,384 per sq mile
94114 21,953 per sq mile
94123 20,817 per sq mile
94118 20,706 per sq mile
94122 20,210 per sq mile
94103 19,308 per sq mile
94121 17,361 per sq mile
94117 17,302 per sq mile
94116 15,509 per sq mile
94134 15,024 per sq mile

And unlike the DC Area, the Bay Area had 3 zip codes outside of SF with more than 15,000 persons per square mile:
94606 Oakland 17,531 per sq mile
94601 Oakland 15,468 per sq mile
94703 Berkeley 15,233 per sq mile

Old 11-30-2010, 08:23 PM

725 posts, read 1,510,651 times
San Francisco

San Francisco is more anything that Jersey city/ Hoboken.

San Francisco is one of the premiere cities in the nation... Jersey city/ Hoboken is a suburn of NYC.

Old 11-30-2010, 09:28 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,814,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theATLien View Post
San Francisco

San Francisco is more anything that Jersey city/ Hoboken.

San Francisco is one of the premiere cities in the nation... Jersey city/ Hoboken is a suburn of NYC.
You should of edited that- I'm not saying you're wrong, but the sentence structure was a little loopy
A suburb? A "suburb" more urban than ATL, and most cities across the nation? Are you sure you want to stick with that claim "Suburb"- A satellite city is more like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City