Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 08:18 PM

1,728 posts, read 4,726,900 times

Advertisements

So you say only English, Scotch Irish, and Germans constitute ethnic Americans?

Back in 1775 before Independence, many groups here today was represented in the colonies. Italians, Irish, Jews, Greeks, Mexicans. Just in much smaller numbers.

If you understood the Constitution, you would understand that it does not contain a provision that states English is the national language.

In your last post, you finally sound like you are starting to understand. You have the right to express your viewpoint that people need to show respect. You are not FORCING them to show respect. You have the right to say that people should salute the flag and say the pledge. You are not advocating FORCING them to do so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2010, 08:26 PM

1,103 posts, read 2,261,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown85 View Post
So you say only English, Scotch Irish, and Germans constitute ethnic Americans?

Back in 1775 before Independence, many groups here today was represented in the colonies. Italians, Irish, Jews, Greeks, Mexicans. Just in much smaller numbers.

If you understood the Constitution, you would understand that it does not contain a provision that states English is the national language.

In your last post, you finally sound like you are starting to understand. You have the right to express your viewpoint that people need to show respect. You are not FORCING them to show respect. You have the right to say that people should salute the flag and say the pledge. You are not advocating FORCING them to do so.
my german ancestors weren't here back then. all my other ancestors were though. the british colonized america, a few italians isn't enough to claim italians as ethnic americans especially since their descendants surely received some british isle ancestry in the 400 year span from then till now.

Old 11-28-2010, 08:37 PM

Let me get this straight. So because the English and Scotch Irish were the two most numerous groups, only they can be ethnic Americans?

So 1000 years from now, only the English and Scotch Irish will be considered ethnic Americans?

Old 11-29-2010, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown85 View Post
Let me get this straight. So because the English and Scotch Irish were the two most numerous groups, only they can be ethnic Americans?

So 1000 years from now, only the English and Scotch Irish will be considered ethnic Americans?
in 1,000 years, our gene pool will be unique to america and you won't be able to look at someone like you can now and say, this guy's skin is dark, his hair is dark, and he's got a new jersey accent he's italian. nobody will know about their great grandma x2,000 in 1,000 years so nobody will be able to say hey i'm italian. by then, all the european genes will be washed together and form a new american gene pool similar to what happened to european countries.

Last edited by CelticGermanicPride; 11-29-2010 at 02:35 PM..

Old 11-29-2010, 03:02 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,715,586 times
LOL, this guys posts read like a character from American History X. There are no such thing as ethnic Americans unless you subscribe to the beliefs over at the Stormfront message board.

Old 11-29-2010, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticGermanicPride View Post
in 1,000 years, our gene pool will be unique to america and you won't be able to look at someone like you can now and say, this guy's skin is dark, his hair is dark, and he's got a new jersey accent he's italian. nobody will know about their great grandma x2,000 in 1,000 years so nobody will be able to say hey i'm italian. by then, all the european genes will be washed together and form a new american gene pool similar to what happened to european countries.
I would argue today that there is no possibility that the English and Scotch Irish are our gene pool. I would be surprised if people of those ancestries even were 15% of the population.

Using your logic, African Americans are also ethnically American just like the English and Scotch Irish as many of their ancestors were here in the 17th and 18th centuries, including in 1776.

Old 11-29-2010, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
LOL, this guys posts read like a character from American History X. There are no such thing as ethnic Americans unless you subscribe to the beliefs over at the Stormfront message board.
Haha he is just "misunderstood."

Old 11-29-2010, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
stormfront believes "my race is my nation." i don't. one of my best friends is black, one of my friends i had in 5th grade was costa rican but he moved back to costa rica after 5th grade. it's not about racism, it's about facts.

ethnicity - "an ethnic quality or affiliation resulting from racial or cultural ties"

my ancestors were the first americans therefore ethnic american. native americans weren't americans because there was no america. my ancestors created "america." just like ethnic russians are slavic russians and not siberians. it's simple crap dude.

Old 11-29-2010, 07:53 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,715,586 times
Quote:
stormfront believes "my race is my nation." i don't. one of my best friends is black, one of my friends i had in 5th grade was costa rican but he moved back to costa rica after 5th grade. it's not about racism, it's about facts.

ethnicity - "an ethnic quality or affiliation resulting from racial or cultural ties"

my ancestors were the first americans therefore ethnic american. native americans weren't americans because there was no america. my ancestors created "america." just like ethnic russians are slavic russians and not siberians. it's simple crap dude.
You are just making things up. There is no such things as an ethnic American since there were several ethnic types when this country started. Your posts in this thread, and in other threads are extremely inaccurate. You really need to take a step back and look at what you are typing.
You are right it is about the facts and you aren't stating any facts.
What "race" is costa rican anyways? You have even actually been there? I have and there are people with black skin, people with brown skin and people with white skin.

Old 11-29-2010, 08:16 PM

Quote:

The history of this country is far too short to have anyone labeled an ethnic American. In this country we tend to label anyone who has been here American or ______ descent.

English and Scotch Irish were not the only groups here. There were plenty of African Americans, French, Jews, Spanish, and others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City