Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are these three the most influential areas of the country? SF/NYC/DC
Yes 47 54.65%
No 32 37.21%
Other 7 8.14%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 10:14 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,508,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous Past View Post
Well couldn't you flip the switch and think up the largest financial centers in the nation? NYC/CHI/SF/DC/Boston, and LA would be the weak link out seeing as how it doesn't even rank amongst the top 40 in the world. Actually LA doesn't even rank, period. What CHI is to media is what LA is to finance, and both being among the most important vitality to any global city.

Also to note your point of a disappearing manufacturing center, that is also the case in LA as well, it isn't just Chicago, in fact Chicago has lost less of it than LA has. I do agree with your points and I do feel what you are saying but in terms of wealth then haven't NYC/SF/DC already surpassed both LA/CHI. The per capita income already tells that much.

From what I know both LA and CHI have lost company headquarters, LA just lost 7 in the last 2 years alone more than any other city, and it lost it to NC, TX, AZ. I would assume that the OP and yourself are essentially saying the same as me, that what grasp CHI/LA did have in the big leagues is slowly diminishing.
Oh no doubt, LA is in just as much or worse trouble. I think Chicago is better off. I think these 2 cities though out of the "big boys" have the most to deal with. LA's laundry list would be longer than the one I just went off on Chicago with. I think the bleeding is about over for Chicago but LA will have more bleeding to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2010, 02:16 AM

3 posts, read 4,105 times
Yes...
maybe there are more good cities such as London or Paris
but no imho
these three are kickass
p.s. im not american and patriotism is not my motivation

Old 12-14-2010, 05:32 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,561,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous Past View Post
Some cities have a large niche presence like Houston, DC, and SF due to their industries tend to inflate their GDP's by a lot.
I'm not sure I understand this. Perhaps "inflate" was a poor word choice, because it is typically used in situations where the implication is that something is not as large or important as it initially appears. The GDPs of cities like DC, Houston and SF aren't artificially inflated--they are what they are. The federal government isn't leaving (or shrinking) anytime soon, and the energy sector isn't likely to leave Houston in the near-term either.

You could argue that certain cities lack a truly diversified economy, which may be true, but is an altogether different observation than saying their GDPs are somehow "inflated".

Old 12-14-2010, 06:08 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,906,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post
I'm not sure I understand this. Perhaps "inflate" was a poor word choice, because it is typically used in situations where the implication is that something is not as large or important as it initially appears. The GDPs of cities like DC, Houston and SF aren't artificially inflated--they are what they are. The federal government isn't leaving (or shrinking) anytime soon, and the energy sector isn't likely to leave Houston in the near-term either.

You could argue that certain cities lack a truly diversified economy, which may be true, but is an altogether different observation than saying their GDPs are somehow "inflated".

GDP can inflate the dollars related to an area, remeber these are publicly held companies meaning the actual ownership of company is spread all over the world. Also where the GDP gets associated may be only where the financials are filed so to speak, not all jobs or wealth is ever created in an area, many times the vast majority is elswhere. That is not to say it is not good to have F500 companies HQ'd someplace but that metric to me is overplayed on this forum. Income generated within the MSA is to me a more relevant metric.

Here is the 2008 Income Generated by the top MSAs

Listing of top MSA by income generated from the BEA (2008)

1 NYC 1,031 Bill
2 LA 552 Bill
3 Chicago 434 Bill
4 DC 303 Bill
5 Houston 276 Bill
6 Philadelphia 274 Bill
7 DFW 268 Bill
8 SF 263 Bill
9 Boston 249 Bill
10 Miami 237 Bill
11 Atlanta 202 Bill
12 Detroit 176 Bill
13 Seattle 169 Bill
14 Minneapolis 155 Bill
15 Phoenix 148 Bill

For example a GDP like Houston is ~50% higher then the actual income that flows into the metro populous; this is where GDP is a metric that can significantly overstate the true wealth generated in a particular city

Last edited by kidphilly; 12-14-2010 at 06:18 PM..

Old 01-13-2011, 10:57 PM

83 posts, read 123,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRedd View Post
i still say dc is more influential. they can take your hard-earned money and make you give it to somebody else. as a matter of fact, they can STEAL your money.... it doesnt get any more influential than that.

i also think LA has more of an impact than SF.
-LA has is the 18th largest economy in the world.
-the nations busiest trade center
-the manufacturing capital of america
-music & film capital of america
- more tourist than anywhere else in the country ( yes that includes NYC)
San francisco actually has more tourism now, and the fastes growing economy in the country due it being the internet media capital of the world.

Old 01-15-2011, 01:08 AM

37,131 posts, read 39,371,920 times
I'm in agreement with these three being the most prominent though that's not to say there's a huge gap between DC/SF and a handful of other metros.

I think those who disagree with the Bay Area are seriously undervaluing the importance of innovation and cultures that engender innovation. The Bay Area may not generate as much of the political policy or economic engine to drive innovation, but it certainly has the culture and institutions which does create the kind of change that has systematically altered how things are done.

Old 03-16-2011, 12:33 PM

617 posts, read 1,423,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by San Francisco Girl View Post
Why is Dallas so ugly-looking? Why are Californians so much more attractive?
I agree about Californians being more attractive if you like flat bottom girls

Old 03-16-2011, 01:05 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,236,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtownboogie View Post
I agree about Californians being more attractive if you like flat bottom girls
^all girls in CA are "flat bottom", according to this expert right here. I can play this game too: all Dallas girls are buck-toothed and cross-eyed. It's true because i said it.

It's funny how many people on this website think they know things...

Old 03-16-2011, 01:13 PM

617 posts, read 1,423,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
^all girls in CA are "flat bottom", according to this expert right here. I can play this game too: all Dallas girls are buck-toothed and cross-eyed. It's true because i said it.

It's funny how many people on this website think they know things...
OMG, of course I was generalizing bRAH, the only reason I even put that in there is because it was obvious bate for me (though there is some truth to my comment) so I decided to take the bate to see what would come of it

Old 03-20-2011, 03:15 PM

151 posts, read 223,957 times
LA hasd the third Largest economic city in the world behind tokyo and NYC, also has great schools and people from all over the world come to LA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City