Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2010, 04:20 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,043,145 times

Advertisements

Why is this thread about US Regions? Do people everyday wake up and say, "ah man I'm so glad to be living in the Northeast! We're the most powerful part of the country!!"? I know people who may do that for a state but do people really do that over a region?

In fact with the Northeast I've noticed more people have pride in their city than anything else, "I'm from New York", "I'm from DC!", "I'm from Philly!". With my state and with California, its pride in the state first. No one in freakin California or Texas is out rocking the Western US or Southern US.

Someone should make a thread asking which region exhibits the most pride because seriously, I am trying to ask a real question here. Do people in the Northeast seriously wake up on a daily basis saying they are proud to be in the Northeast before their city or state?

This thread started off for US States and only US States, it got to the point where this became a match up about land area and now this.

It is what it is, the Northeast has two of the most powerful cities in the country, but it is not a state, hence it is NOT apart of the topic of this thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by missRoxyhart View Post
I wasn't talking about a nuclear war, I mean in that case it doesn't matter who's stronger than who, everyone loses. I was talking more about a hypothetical conventional war. China is in fact a regional power when it comes to their military, I wasn't commenting on economics or anything. The fact is China doesn't have anywhere near the (military) power projection the UK has. If you wanna get realistic about it, a real conventional war between the two would never happen cause it would also include NATO with the UK and it would probably end up nuclear and the whole world would lose (especially if we assume Russia was involved, but if it was just NATO and China it would be comparatively much rosier but that's another discussion), but I was just talking in pure military terms. Just hypothetical based only on what each country should actually be able to do based on their militarys, obviously China surpassed the UK economically and stuff a long time ago and in the real world it holds alot more than just it's army as playing cards. But I just like talking hypotheticals, especially when it comes to war lol.
I personally wouldn't.

If I was The PRC, I wouldn't be looking to UK as any kind of threat at all, whether there was a feud or not. Most often than not, I am sure neither countries even think about each other.

The main bracket where the tension can come from is the middle child (USA) and that's pretty much it. And no we're not expecting a war with PRC, actually a Nuclear War isn't even to be expected, I don't think any country out there is as stupid as that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2010, 04:47 PM

1,214 posts, read 2,519,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYY View Post
Why is this thread about US Regions? Do people everyday wake up and say, "ah man I'm so glad to be living in the Northeast! We're the most powerful part of the country!!"? I know people who may do that for a state but do people really do that over a region?

In fact with the Northeast I've noticed more people have pride in their city than anything else, "I'm from New York", "I'm from DC!", "I'm from Philly!". With my state and with California, its pride in the state first. No one in freakin California or Texas is out rocking the Western US or Southern US.

Someone should make a thread asking which region exhibits the most pride because seriously, I am trying to ask a real question here. Do people in the Northeast seriously wake up on a daily basis saying they are proud to be in the Northeast before their city or state?

This thread started off for US States and only US States, it got to the point where this became a match up about land area and now this.

It is what it is, the Northeast has two of the most powerful cities in the country, but it is not a state, hence it is NOT apart of the topic of this thread.

I personally wouldn't.

If I was The PRC, I wouldn't be looking to UK as any kind of threat at all, whether there was a feud or not. Most often than not, I am sure neither countries even think about each other.

The main bracket where the tension can come from is the middle child (USA) and that's pretty much it. And no we're not expecting a war with PRC, actually a Nuclear War isn't even to be expected, I don't think any country out there is as stupid as that.
Geez, I never said we were lol, I'm not expecting anything. I'm sure no one else is either lol. I'm just one of those people who enjoys thinking about hypothetical military situations, past or present or whatever. One of my nerdier pursuits. It's like thinking about chess, which I also love.

Old 11-27-2010, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Geez, I never said we were lol, I'm not expecting anything. I'm sure no one else is either lol. I'm just one of those people who enjoys thinking about hypothetical military situations, past or present or whatever. One of my nerdier pursuits. It's like thinking about chess, which I also love.
Nerd.

Old 11-27-2010, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Nerd.
You know it.

Old 11-27-2010, 05:01 PM

Quote:
You know it.
Haha
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/4/4d/Nerds_box.jpg (broken link)

Old 11-27-2010, 05:38 PM

Quote:

I guess no one will answer you lol. Well, I think you'd be surprised. There are people here that like to gloat as much as anywhere else, and when you have something to gloat about it's easy. For a Californian or Texan they have alot to be proud of, but to reverse the situation, doesn't it get split up all the time there? SoCal vs. NorCal, SD vs. LA, umm I don't really know Texas divisions well but I'm sure they're there lol. In the Northeast, some people do expand their pride to the whole region, it is the most this, this, that and whatever part of the country.

One thing to remember is the difference between perception of areas too. In some places states matter alot more as a defining area than others. My best friend from CA was really stunned when she found out I go to school in another state every day lol, she said it's a huge thing in CA cause CA is so huge you hardly have to leave, and that's how she saw it. So I mean when you say Californians and Texans don't rep the whole West or South, I mean that's kinda a big distinction. I wouldn't know well, but I'm guessing with all the huge states out West and comparatively less integration than here, states are a big issue.

But for example, in New England especially, there is alot of emphasis on the region. Alot of people are New Englanders first you know? Not that smaller rivalries don't pop in, but even all our advertising is like that. The best whatever in Southern New England, Western New England, North, or just all of New England. Oh, like this really annoying coffee commercial I hear every damn day on the way to school about how true New Englanders take pride in their coffee lol, and this guy asks a lady all this stuff she should know about all of New England that any New Englander should know about like candle pin bowling and Nor'easters before he'll give it to her lol. So, that's just how it is I guess. The regionalism for the Northeast as a whole might not be as prevalent as it is in New England alone, but it is there. Different people have different concepts of what constitutes "boundaries" and what ties em together across the country.

Quote:
Haha
Ehh, nerds are ok lol. Much better than shockers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City