Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 06:39 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,923,182 times

Advertisements

Unemployment for October in Chicago is 8.9% - Orlando is 11.2%.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2010, 10:32 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,689,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8t View Post
It depends on the fields you are in. Chicago overall is going to be the superior choice long term in most cases but it also depends on your industry. Also keep in mind that if Orlando and it's nightlife and attractions don't appeal you can just spend a few weekends in Miami. Also keep in mind you would be a king with that salary in Orlando and probably get more girls and have much more disposable income. Chicago would give you more of a desnse cosmo feel and while the money won't stretch as far there will be more options in lifestyle.
I wouldn't say you would be a king in Orlando with 52k. I know many ppl who make well above that. With that said, if you want the true city life then pick Chicago, Chicago also has more big business oppritunity. If you want a more laid back lifestyle, Orlando has it's fair share of young professional type urban neighborhoods with big night life social scenes that seem like will fit your bill.

Old 11-24-2010, 10:52 PM

442 posts, read 827,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
I wouldn't say you would be a king in Orlando with 52k. I know many ppl who make well above that. With that said, if you want the true city life then pick Chicago, Chicago also has more big business oppritunity. If you want a more laid back lifestyle, Orlando has it's fair share of young professional type urban neighborhoods with big night life social scenes that seem like will fit your bill.

I mean a single guy with no kids making 52k in a sunbelt city (outside Miami) is more or less a "king" for a 22 year old. Makes me wish I switched majors.

Old 11-25-2010, 09:43 AM

4,194 posts, read 11,689,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8t View Post
I mean a single guy with no kids making 52k in a sunbelt city (outside Miami) is more or less a "king" for a 22 year old. Makes me wish I switched majors.
Yeah true that

Old 11-25-2010, 12:46 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,500,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio248 View Post
Chicago is a pretty poor choice right now, because it has, by far, the highest job losses in the nation right now.

Chicago lost about 70,000 private sector jobs in the last 12 months. The second worst city, Detroit, lost about 30,000 jobs.

So unless you have a job lined up, Chicago would be a poor choice.

Orlando has a much healthier economy.
Why does this matter for him, he has a solid job offer, if you read his post.

OP I would go with Chicago, I left FL myself after school and went to Chicago. I would say do Chicago or another "big" city while you are younger, you might not want to do it later. Leave Orlando or somewhere like that for later on. I have lived in major cities (not just Chicago) all through my 20's and wouldn't really trade that opportunity away, but I doubt I will be living "IN" the city for that much longer as I just turned 30, not single or "dating" anymore, have a dog, and don't hit up the nightlife as much. Not that Orlando is a horrible place or anything, but I had already lived in Florida for 20 years so wanted something different, I also wanted the "big city" environment and lifestyle, but I could have easily gone with NY or Boston or something too.

But it is more up to you, I don't think the offers are significantly different. They are significantly different cities though.

Last edited by grapico; 11-25-2010 at 12:56 PM..

Old 11-25-2010, 01:24 PM

63 posts, read 132,929 times
It depends on what you mean by business "professional", but unless you profession involves theme-park management, golf or reposessing houses, go to Chicago. Orlando is a cesspool of broken dreams and deliquent mortgages.

Old 11-25-2010, 02:07 PM

2,563 posts, read 6,056,314 times
I just want to clarify that Orlando is in the 30 largest economies in the country and steadily growing. In fact it saw greater Employment growth than Chicago.

Rankings (2009):
Orlando - 152: Orlando rose 2%
Chicago - 188: Chicago rose 0.2%
Source: http://www.usmayors.org/pressrelease...roEcon0608.pdf

Now as a young professional as many have said it depends on your industry and what you're looking for. There are plenty of bars and nightclubs in both cities so thats really irrelevant. If you enjoy Fine Art and Theater I'd go Chicago all the way. If you like outdoor activities like boating and golf or if you really enjoy the amusement parks you should go to Orlando. If you could care less about any of those activities I would go strictly on job opportunities depending on your industry and if that is pretty equal than I'd come to Orlando since you can have a higher quality of life as a result.

Last edited by EndersDrift; 11-25-2010 at 02:08 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 11-25-2010, 04:29 PM

1,988 posts, read 7,146,876 times
I think the biggest considerations I would make if I had those two choices is the differences between the two cities. I love both cities a lot, but I could not handle the Chicago winters and I am very happy in Orlando.

Do you prefer urban (Chicago) or suburban (Orlando). Keep in mind you could get suburban locations in Chicagoland as well.

Do you mind long, bleak, harsh winters? Do you mind sticky, humid, summers with the threat of storms and hurricanes?

Are you really in touch with the arts and culture? Orlando has much less than Chicago.

Orlando has fewer traffic issues (I don't care what you hear otherwise on this forum).
Chicago has a more stable and diversified economy, but I think the Orlando weather and attractions make up for this a lot if you have a stable job. Your Orlando salary will get you far considering homes and cost of living down here is much lower than some parts of the country.

Orlando has a lot of chain restaurants, but anyone who says there are not great ethnic and family owned options is a fool. There are several upscale restaurants in a handful of parts of town as well as several upscale national chains.

Orlando and nearby Tampa are both great college and pro sports cities with great bars, hangouts, year round outdoor events, great beaches, etc. Orlando has some of the best outlet shopping in the world as well as upscale options and boutiques. Orlando is overall much cleaner than Chicago (some may see that as opinion, but you can visit and see for yourself or look at Google Streetview).

Chicago is much more cosmopolitan than Orlando. The shopping, dining, cultural attractions, urban feel and architecture will all be better there. They will also have much more crime, many more run down and dangerous areas of town, more pollution, more traffic, etc.

Old 12-01-2010, 05:30 AM

15 posts, read 42,608 times
i think orlando is better bicause it has more choices

Old 12-01-2010, 10:30 AM

908 posts, read 1,828,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newlitchil View Post
i think orlando is better bicause it has more choices
Please elaborate how Orlando has more employment choices than Chicago.

In Pictures: America's Worst Cities For Finding A Job - 9. Orlando, Fla. - Forbes.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City