Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2012, 10:33 PM

5,064 posts, read 5,728,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
What? You've never watched the Sounds play at AutoZone Park, or the Preds at FedEx Forum?
lol! Yep, right after I went to Nashvlle's world famous BBQ contest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2012, 10:33 PM

813 posts, read 2,031,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inlovewithcarolina View Post
Charlotte, Raleigh and North Carolina as a whole are much more progressive than any city in Tennessee.
How would you even go about measuring the progressiveness of a place? What criteria would you use?

Old 12-25-2012, 10:34 PM

14 posts, read 29,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Uhhhhh....yeah, and clearly this runs counter to your earlier statement that cities focused on music aren't as progressive as those that aren't. Those are the exact reasons why I even mentioned Austin.

I'm getting a headache.
And Austin also isn't in Tennessee. I was obviously referring to Nashville and Memphis respectively.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
You lived in the Nashville area for 34 years, and you thought that Fed Ex and AutoZone were located in Nashville? Seriously?
FedEx and AutoZone operate many stores throughout Nashville hunny

Be more specific if you're going to try and make a rude statement.

Old 12-25-2012, 10:39 PM

14 posts, read 29,757 times
Quote:
Clearly fired for incompetence.
Hey, when TN finally hits the 7M mark, let me know

Old 12-25-2012, 10:42 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
And Austin also isn't in Tennessee. I was obviously referring to Nashville and Memphis respectively.
Once again, you're changing the goalposts. Your argument was that cities with a focus on music were less progressive than those that aren't, not just cities in TN with a focus on music.

Even so, you'd still be wrong. Nashville is a pretty progressive place, even with its focus on music. Charlotte and Raleigh are ahead in some categories, but that doesn't mean Nashville isn't progressive at all.

Old 12-25-2012, 10:43 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,330,051 times
Quote:
Quote:
I think the problem is Tennessee's largest cities are both heavily focused around music, something that's going to give the cities a big name, but not give them the progressive abilities like Charlotte and Raleigh/Durham.
So why is Austin not a valid comparison? Austin, of course, has much more going on than music...but there is a heavy focus on it.

Austin is easily more "progressive" than Charlotte (aries: I'll show you my city progressivicity matrix later). In fact, a lot of cities with music or arts backgrounds have a progressive vibe to them. You think Charlotte's white collar reputation is what draws the progressives?

Old 12-26-2012, 06:51 AM

6,350 posts, read 11,586,662 times
I too would like to see a definition of progressive - here's my comments from another thread:

Quote:
I think it depends on how you define progressive. Economic progress - Atlanta, Houston, Charlotte. Avant-garde (progressive) style - Miami. Scientific progress - Research triangle NC and Oak Ridge TN. Crunchy progressive - Austin and Asheville. Progressing into decadence - N'awlins.
Economic progress - Nashville is close behind Charlotte.

Crunchy progressive - nothing can match Asheville, but Nashville, Knoxville and Chattanooga have their enclaves.

One thing for sure - Murfreesboro is one place I never considered progressive - that may color lovewithcarolina's perspective.

I tell you - when I see this discussion a song comes to mind:

"Why can't a woman be more like a man?".

Nothing wrong with Tennessee except we have no beach. But we do have navigable rivers - something NC lacks if you want to get nitpicky.

Old 12-26-2012, 07:30 AM

7,076 posts, read 12,345,554 times
Quote:
So why is Austin not a valid comparison? Austin, of course, has much more going on than music...but there is a heavy focus on it.

Austin is easily more "progressive" than Charlotte (aries: I'll show you my city progressivicity matrix later). In fact, a lot of cities with music or arts backgrounds have a progressive vibe to them. You think Charlotte's white collar reputation is what draws the progressives?
It certainly caught the attention of the top progressives in this country during their "little" convention in Charlotte.

Why is Tennessee not more like North Carolina?

For some strange reason, the most powerful states in this country have a major coastline. Then again, Tennessee is ahead of states like Mississippi, Alabama, and SC which would throw out the coastline theory. There is the higher education factor, but Kentucky, Ohio, Michigan and almost every state has higher education on some level. There is NC's Research Triangle Park, but that area isn't the only fast growing region in NC. There is the military factor, but slow growth areas such as Norfolk, VA and Columbia, SC has that particular advantage as well.

IMHO, North Carolina benefits from being the closest right-to-work/traditionally southern state to the Midwest and Northeast (two regions that have been fueling NC's rapid growth for decades now). Tennessee is extremely close to the Midwest, but it isn't very close to the Northeast. NC is a relatively short drive from both regions; which has led to higher numbers of transplants from both regions.

At this point in the game, NC is getting closer to being its own destination rather than a cheap Midwestern/Northeastern escape option. IMO, NC's next 3-4 decades of growth will be on the state's own name recognition.

Old 12-26-2012, 11:26 AM

7,943 posts, read 17,250,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
I too would like to see a definition of progressive - here's my comments from another thread:

Crunchy progressive - nothing can match Asheville, but Nashville, Knoxville and Chattanooga have their enclaves.

One thing for sure - Murfreesboro is one place I never considered progressive - that may color lovewithcarolina's perspective.

Nothing wrong with Tennessee except we have no beach. But we do have navigable rivers - something NC lacks if you want to get nitpicky.
Agreed. "Progressive" on City-Data seems to only mean LGBT rights and acceptance and prominent atheism, which I don't believe its limited to that. That is an aspect of progressivism but there are other meanings as well. A lot of cities are economically progressive but not as socially progressive as Austin or the Pacific Northwest.

Old 12-26-2012, 11:48 AM

813 posts, read 2,031,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post

Yes, there would be a noticeable difference in terms of "feels" from Murfreesboro and, say, East Nashville. I mean it's almost hard to believe that the city that had the mosque dispute is in the same metro with the so-called hipster haven seen below, but it is and I think that speaks to the increasing diversity of this metro in terms of personalities.

Check out this little slice of TN's West Asheville twin sister nabe, East Nashville:

Credit these photos to one of the posters on MetroJacksonville. Also check out their nice look at Germantown which has what I assume to be many of the tell-tale signs of progressivism. I know that both Charlotte and Raleigh have similar kinds of neighborhoods. My point here is not to have some sort of silly "progressiveness" peeing contest. I'd much rather show what we offer that runs counter to the rampant stereotypes and hyperbole that gets freely tossed around on these sort of threads in an effort to make one place appear "better" than another.

All this said, I'm not even sure the poster at issue has much credibility after reading the other thread s/he recently started and a quick perusal of his/her brief posting history. The following two posts are just not jiving together for me:

Quote:
I lost my job at Vanderbilt Medical Center and was quickly offered a position at Duke Children's Hospital. Working here for 6 months, I already noticed major differences in Raleigh.

Saying I don't know anything about Tennessee is ridiculous when I've lived there 34 years of my life lol
Quote:
This is over 2 years old.

But while I'm here, here's my two cents:

Wilkes County has drastically changed from say 5 years ago.

Many, many new businesses, ect are being built here. Olive Garden/Red Lobster, which is the first and only in the area. PetSmart, Qdoba, Sweet Frog, a new movie theater and shopping center, a Chuck E. Cheese, ect.

The no traffic jams can no longer be said. 421 is becoming too congested.

Many people are realizing what Wilkes has to offer and is causing it to grow rapidly.

While experiencing growth, it's still maintained it's natural beauty and is a great place to live.
Are we really to believe the same poster who lived in TN for 34 years and moved to Raleigh six months ago can also detail the great progress in Wilkes County, NC? It reads more like a NC poster who is understandably proud of the progress in his or her home state and maybe getting a little carried away.

Last edited by ariesjow; 12-26-2012 at 12:32 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City