Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which state will lead the South?
Virginia 51 26.42%
Georgia 70 36.27%
North Carolina 72 37.31%
Voters: 193. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2013, 07:15 AM

6,350 posts, read 11,583,688 times

Advertisements

Nortonguy, I don't admit it much but I am actually a UGA graduate. Though I got out of town before the ceremony was held.

Quote:
This is true....VA packs way more of a punch than GA if you took Atlanta out...

On the other hand, there's nothing in VA that can hold a candle to Atlanta
I agree with both these statements but reach the opposite conclusion.

Quote:
so you get two states that are pretty much in the same tier when it's all said and done....
remember, for many of us big cities are not the be-all and end all of existence. VA has many more mountains. Not necessarily better, but more. Beyond that, VA has much more beautiful scenery.

Old 12-09-2013, 07:39 AM

2,856 posts, read 4,615,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
Nortonguy, I don't admit it much but I am actually a UGA graduate. Though I got out of town before the ceremony was held.

I agree with both these statements but reach the opposite conclusion.

remember, for many of us big cities are not the be-all and end all of existence. VA has many more mountains. Not necessarily better, but more. Beyond that, VA has much more beautiful scenery.
What does scenery has to do with a tier and that's subjective as well?? I'm talking about GDP, population,and overall importance to the US...both states along with NC would be in the 2nd tier in my opinion behind CA, TX, NY and FL......

Old 12-09-2013, 10:34 AM

37,877 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdw1084 View Post
What does scenery has to do with a tier and that's subjective as well?? I'm talking about GDP, population,and overall importance to the US...both states along with NC would be in the 2nd tier in my opinion behind CA, TX, NY and FL......
Well lookee here, we actually agree on something.

Old 12-09-2013, 06:58 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,552,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdw1084 View Post
If you take out 5.4 million (Atlanta) from a state with nearly 10 million people of course you will have a whole different state when it comes to raw numbers...I mean Atlanta is the premier city in the southeast so of course losing it will show...However, if you take the 2.5 million (NOVA) from VA they will not see as much of a change...That's common knowledge...However, what VA loses in that case is the some of the wealthiest counties in the nation and some of the highest educated counties as well.....that's ranked pretty high nation-wide and the numbers would drop drastically as well...

If you take Atlanta away from GA:

You are taking away the 9th largest metro in the country
You are the taking away all of the professional sports teams in the state
You are taking away the worlds busiest Airport
You are taking away 70% of GA's economy
You are taking away the Alpha city in the southeast
You are taking the largest "city" in the "new south" away
....I could go on and on but you get my point: If Atlanta was any state it would make a difference it was removed...

Columbus, Augusta, and Macon does feel smaller than Hampton Roads as they should since you are comparing 1 city to 7 cities...just like Richmond and Hampton Roads feel small compared to Atlanta because it's bigger...
Your exactly making my point, GA without Atlanta does not compare to NC or VA without their top metro areas. Nothing wrong, it's just weighted differently. But when asking what states are best, NC and VA are more well rounded beyond one major city.

Old 12-10-2013, 04:10 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,788,575 times
Bottom line is :Georgia has Atlanta.With it,its not nearly as boring as it would be without it.At least Savannah would help.
Hence this is why NC and Virginia are BORING(if not for their outdoors/nature)!

Old 12-10-2013, 11:28 AM

37,877 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Bottom line is :Georgia has Atlanta.With it,its not nearly as boring as it would be without it.At least Savannah would help.
Hence this is why NC and Virginia are BORING(if not for their outdoors/nature)!
I completely disagree on that front. Of course Atlanta has more to do than any city in NC and VA, but that doesn't make those states boring by comparison; it just means Atlanta is more exciting.

Old 12-10-2013, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I completely disagree on that front. Of course Atlanta has more to do than any city in NC and VA, but that doesn't make those states boring by comparison; it just means Atlanta is more exciting.
Im saying Georgia without Atlanta is bearable.Savannah is a good reason why.Without Savannah,Georgia ,just like NC and VA ,would be just as boring.That's my opinion.
Of course there are things to do, but to live in Georgia without those 2 cities is NOTHING to write home about.

This is true for VA and NC also.

Old 12-10-2013, 02:32 PM

1,445 posts, read 2,320,447 times
Quote:
Im saying Georgia without Atlanta is bearable.Savannah is a good reason why.Without Savannah,Georgia ,just like NC and VA ,would be just as boring.That's my opinion.
Of course there are things to do, but to live in Georgia without those 2 cities is NOTHING to write home about.

This is true for VA and NC also.

Um without Charlotte, there is Raleigh, the Outer Banks, and the mountains. NC's mountains and beaches are more visited than Georgia and Virginia's. Obviously Atlanta will be the most exciting; it's the largest city in all three states. Nature is just as important to some as going to clubs are to others.

Old 12-10-2013, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austincool View Post
Um without Charlotte, there is Raleigh, the Outer Banks, and the mountains. NC's mountains and beaches are more visited than Georgia and Virginia's. Obviously Atlanta will be the most exciting; it's the largest city in all three states. Nature is just as important to some as going to clubs are to others.
You're assuming I find Raleigh bearable to live?Atlanta is about the smallest city I would want to be in.I love Savannah but even it would be too small for my taste.

Truthfully speaking there is not that much difference in the natural environmentof these states.Having the busiest reallly means nothing when its all basically the same.

Cities are a big difference.Raleigh offers not enough more of a diffference than what can be find in Savannah.There is a difference in size of course but for someone wanting a very urban experience ,outside of Atlanta,there is no other city that stands out in either of these states.Just IMO.

Old 12-10-2013, 05:43 PM

1,445 posts, read 2,320,447 times
Quote:
Truthfully speaking there is not that much difference in the natural environmentof these states.Having the busiest reallly means nothing when its all basically the same.
Each of these states have a coast and mountains. Which is more visited is relevant to the point in which you tried to make about not being worthy to write home about.

Quote:
for someone wanting a very urban experience ,outside of Atlanta,there is no other city that stands out in either of these states.Just IMO.
Or because you're one of the most biased posters on C-D and consider anything with a population less than Atlanta's irrelevant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City