Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2013, 12:24 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,124,065 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
The freeway already has 8 lanes and the traffic sucks! The New I-635 will be a mix of toll and free lanes. The majority of the new I-635 will be a double-decker freeway. The lower level will be tolled.

LBJ Express Project - Full Project Fly-over - 05.22.2013 - YouTube
Who pays for all of this? Why the need for a double-decker freeway in one of THE cheapest U.S. cities? Chicago, NYC, etc. want double-decker freeways to control traffic but they're so cost-prohibitive that they're rarely built. There's so much space in Texas I can't imagine building a double-decker is cheaper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2013, 12:44 PM

6,619 posts, read 9,827,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
Who pays for all of this? Why the need for a double-decker freeway in one of THE cheapest U.S. cities? Chicago, NYC, etc. want double-decker freeways to control traffic but they're so cost-prohibitive that they're rarely built. There's so much space in Texas I can't imagine building a double-decker is cheaper.
I-635 is in a very developed part of Dallas. There isn't enough space to build a wide freeway, so a double-decker freeway is the only option. If they decided to build a traditional freeway; many high-rises, homes, shopping centers, etc would have to be torn down. That would be even more expensive. The project is being funded by a public-private partnership.

Old 05-31-2013, 01:41 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,124,065 times
You DID mention there was a tollway, so that explains the private portion.

Old 05-31-2013, 09:49 PM

226 posts, read 277,982 times
These growth cycles come & go ... It just so happens that DFW is very attractive at this time. Who knows in 10 / 20 years the TC area may be the new darlings.

Old 06-02-2013, 10:50 AM

182 posts, read 295,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout0417 View Post
These growth cycles come & go ... It just so happens that DFW is very attractive at this time. Who knows in 10 / 20 years the TC area may be the new darlings.
That could be true. I wouldn't be surprised.

Old 06-02-2013, 09:25 PM

2,549 posts, read 3,956,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
There are already double deckers in Austin and San Antonio. The land is cheaper in Texas making it more affordable to build compared to other more expensive cities.

Old 06-02-2013, 09:49 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,806,179 times
What about living near water? DFW doesn't really have a lot of water (lakes, ponds. etc) around, if any at all and MN is noted for its water. One thing that turns me off to Texas, I have to live near water. Not a lot of trees, green. The topography of the areas is very different and would be a deciding factor in appealing to people I would think?

Old 06-02-2013, 11:24 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,776,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
What about living near water? DFW doesn't really have a lot of water (lakes, ponds. etc) around, if any at all and MN is noted for its water. One thing that turns me off to Texas, I have to live near water. Not a lot of trees, green. The topography of the areas is very different and would be a deciding factor in appealing to people I would think?
You do know that the ENTIRE state isn't just prairie land and that we do have beaches, mountains, forests, swamps, hills, and a desert... right?

Old 06-02-2013, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
MSP wins on scenery hands down. The whole city is a urban forest with over 20 lakes, the parkways, tall trees, golf courses, lots of parks, the Mississippi river and river bluffs, and an urban waterfall all right in the city. On the other side of the river St Paul has hills and river bluffs as well. In addition to this you also have great architecture. Minneapolis was the milling capital of the world from the 1880's til about 1930 and it had it's skyscraper boom in the 80's. Because of this you have amazing contrasts in eras. Downtown Minneapolis has modern skyscrapers and buildings of various styles. Once you leave downtown the neighborhoods have tree lined streets, brownstones, and gorgeous pre WWII homes of all different styles. St Paul is pretty much all historic with few modern buildings. The neighborhoods have brownstones and lots of pre WWII houses including the longest stretch of Victorian mansions along Summit Ave. Downtown St Paul is very quaint and historic. It's almost like a small European town. The best part is the cities are literally right next to each other, not 25 miles away. DFW has nothing to compete with this.

Old 06-02-2013, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
You do know that the ENTIRE state isn't just prairie land and that we do have beaches, mountains, forests, swamps, hills, and a desert... right?
That's nice. How many of these are actually in DFW?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City