Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: NJ vs PA
NJ 65 40.12%
PA 97 59.88%
Voters: 162. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2015, 03:06 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,906,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
The PA suburbs are more Jewish, as well (I'll post the stats later).
NJ as a whole has more Jewish people (2nd to New York; % wise) and overall diversity. Not sure why people are focusing just on south Jersey...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2015, 04:24 PM

9,320 posts, read 12,933,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
NJ as a whole has more Jewish people (2nd to New York; % wise) and overall diversity. Not sure why people are focusing just on south Jersey...
Yes, this is true. I was only responding to soug's post, which specifically compared SEPA and SJ.

Old 01-18-2015, 01:32 PM

385 posts, read 397,320 times
So funny i've never heard of a rival btw NJ, AND PA. I will say that each portion of NJ pretty much feeds to the major city on their end .

North Jersey - New York
South Jersey - Philadelphia

Old 01-18-2015, 02:24 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,906,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy215267 View Post
So funny i've never heard of a rival btw NJ, AND PA. I will say that each portion of NJ pretty much feeds to the major city on their end .

North Jersey - New York
South Jersey - Philadelphia
I actually haven't heard of this rivalry, either. Maybe it's because I live in NE New Jersey. In many aspects, they're not actually very similar, especially outside PA's two major cities on opposite ends of the state.

Old 08-17-2016, 09:36 AM

5 posts, read 5,484 times
I have finalized and finally moving from NJ to Bucks county PA. Good school district, new constructed homes. Happy with my move.

Old 08-17-2016, 11:14 AM

6,772 posts, read 4,449,334 times
PA hands down

Old 08-17-2016, 11:23 AM

1,719 posts, read 2,085,135 times
For me it's easily NJ. Much more educated, wealthy, coastal location, much fewer backwards rural communities.

Old 08-17-2016, 11:36 AM

21 posts, read 23,772 times
Ah, a thread I can finally comment on with some actual knowledge.

I am from PA, but I live within 10 minutes of the NJ border.

When it comes to the states themselves, PA offers more in environment, but NJ has some pretty unique places, like Pine Barrens. In PA you have the flat southeastern area, the hilly/mountainous center and northern areas, etc. NJ strikes me as mostly like southeastern PA, with the added benefit of the coast. I am not too crazy about NJ's coast considering how built up it is, but that's just my personal tastes.

When it comes to civilization, NJ again mostly feels like southeastern PA. It's densely populated, alternating between beautiful towns like Princeton, uglier towns, strip malls, and the occasional stretches of forests and fields. I also notice a higher prevalence of 'apartment neighborhoods' in NJ, again a testament to how crowded they are.

The people. I really like the people from NJ. I've met the "famous" wise-cracking Italian-American idea made manifest in one woman from NJ, and I absolutely loved that kind of persona, granted you're their friend. I notice a lot of diversity in NJ too, especially with a massive influx of Indian-Americans. Southeast PA also has growing numbers of Indian-Americans, but they're still in much greater numbers in NJ. PA seems to have more middle eastern Americans. Overall, they're similar to this [southeast urban] area of PA. Can't complain.

---

I could go on, but I feel like I'm going to repeatedly say "it's alot like southeast PA". If we lump Southeast PA in with NJ, then we are comparing two wildly different regions: NJ vs. non-Urbanized PA (+ Pittsburgh I guess). I like PA, but that's just a bias towards how we have more environmental variety through the virtue of greater size. Would I want to live in NJ? Not really, but it's not as bad as its reputation precedes.

One thing that really stood out in NJ that I never saw in PA was Lakewood. It is a HEAVILY orthodox Jewish area. I was really surprised at how distinct it was, just driving past the community.

Old 08-17-2016, 11:44 AM

21 posts, read 23,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick2007 View Post
I have finalized and finally moving from NJ to Bucks county PA. Good school district, new constructed homes. Happy with my move.
Glad you like it here. Maybe I'm not appreciating it as much as I should

Old 08-17-2016, 04:34 PM

444 posts, read 321,054 times
Quote:
New Jersey vs Pennsylvania
Pennsylvania.

/endthread
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City