Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: NJ vs PA
NJ 65 40.12%
PA 97 59.88%
Voters: 162. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 03:43 PM

2,881 posts, read 6,088,142 times

Advertisements

Guys...the truth is...KONY needs us.

You laugh but I'm serious...he needs us. His NY counterparts have done something that we still fail to do and that's largely ignore him. We give him the attention, he doesn't care if it's good attention or bad attention, because he takes the attention we give him as acknowledgement of his being.

When he says things about his favorite state (NJ) he knows we'll respond. He gets his fix, and gets to talk about the Bx.

Think about it: if you as a person, truly doesn't care about something, don't you think you would simply stay away from it or ignore it altogether? He'll talk NJ, but we don't really talk BX. See where I'm going?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2010, 07:50 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,090,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66nexus View Post
Guys...the truth is...KONY needs us.

You laugh but I'm serious...he needs us.
I fully co-sign this statement. Your right i do need ya.

Because one of the funniest/entertaining things on city-data period. Is how new jerseyans indirectly,unintentionally belittle there state by constantly hanging on nyc

U send the message that " Hey nj does suck, but guess what, you just guest what mister. We are close to other states that doesnt suck and thats all that matters. And thats all we have to say about that.(READING THAT WITH THE FORREST GUMP ACCENT IN MIND IS PREFERABLE)

I know how metros work. In this case metros are irrelevant. This is not a battle of metros. This is a battle of whats in the state of new jersey vs whats in the state of PA

Should philly lay claim to south jersey in this battle aswell, against nj, u know-its all in the same metro of course

Old 12-02-2010, 08:58 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,814,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post

Because one of the funniest/entertaining things on city-data period. Is how new jerseyans indirectly,unintentionally belittle there state by constantly hanging on nyc

U send the message that " Hey nj does suck, but guess what, you just guest what mister. We are close to other states that doesnt suck and thats all that matters. And thats all we have to say about that.(READING THAT WITH THE FORREST GUMP ACCENT IN MIND IS PREFERABLE)

I know how metros work. In this case metros are irrelevant. This is not a battle of metros. This is a battle of whats in the state of new jersey vs whats in the state of PA

Should philly lay claim to south jersey in this battle aswell, against nj, u know-its all in the same metro of course
Philladelphians aren't the ones complaining on here.
This really had nothing to do with NY unil you did your usual "I HATE NJ" BS- I doubt this would be the case if NJ was a part of NYS.- You just want something to whine about because The Bronx has ****ty stigma- But you'd never disrespect your city like that, so why not misplace your ****ty stigma on Jersey?

"Should philly lay claim to south jersey in this battle aswell, against nj, u know-its all in the same metro of course"

If the Philly metro had Princeton and Atlantic City/Wildwood/Cape May again- I'm sure they'd be glad to boost their metro up.

Philly folks have better access to these places than I do- I don't care if these places are in "My" state- These places are more convenient for the people living in Philly, and I'm ok with that- Access is what matters to me.

Last edited by BPerone201; 12-02-2010 at 09:14 PM..

Old 12-02-2010, 08:59 PM

2,653 posts, read 5,960,487 times
You've spent 20% of this decade sucking off New Jersey. Your jaw isn't tired by now?

Old 12-02-2010, 09:44 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,090,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
Philladelphians aren't the ones complaining on here.
This really had nothing to do with NY unil you did your usual "I HATE NJ" BS- I doubt this would be the case if NJ was a part of NYS.- You just want something to whine about because The Bronx has ****ty stigma- But you'd never disrespect your city like that, so why not misplace your ****ty stigma on Jersey?

"Should philly lay claim to south jersey in this battle aswell, against nj, u know-its all in the same metro of course"

If the Philly metro had Princeton and Atlantic City/Wildwood/Cape May again- I'm sure they'd be glad to boost their metro up.

Philly folks have better access to these places than I do- I don't care if these places are in "My" state- These places are more convenient for the people living in Philly, and I'm ok with that- Access is what matters to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by openheads View Post
You've spent 20% of this decade sucking off New Jersey. Your jaw isn't tired by now?
New york is always mentioned by new jerseyans in every new jersey vs thread.

It will be exclusively jersey at first with ya when urbanity,density etc is being talked about.But as soon as states/cities start moving in and mention things jersey cant handle u play the "access to nyc" card. It happened in the Nj/jc vs Atlanta thread, its now happening in this thread

Like nyc, philly most likely could give a fk about a metro. The city of philly,like nyc, is enough by itself

Open heads u spend 97.5% of your city data time sucking off anyone who has a negative opinion of new jersey

Old 12-02-2010, 10:07 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,814,516 times
Quote:
And you, The New Yorker, is always there.

Old 12-03-2010, 12:34 AM

1,604 posts, read 3,884,962 times
Quote:

It will be exclusively jersey at first with ya when urbanity,density etc is being talked about.But as soon as states/cities start moving in and mention things jersey cant handle u play the "access to nyc" card. It happened in the Nj/jc vs Atlanta thread, its now happening in this thread

Like nyc, philly most likely could give a fk about a metro. The city of philly,like nyc, is enough by itself

Open heads u spend 97.5% of your city data time sucking off anyone who has a negative opinion of new jersey

We play the "access to NYC" card very early, because it is a very important factor. Not only can you live in a rural or coastal area in NJ, but you can also commute into NYC. There is a lot offered by NJ, and access to NY is one of them. You need to give up, most people in other states realize this access is an asset to NJ.

People in Philly actually do care about their metro, because most of them are either moving from/to there or have family there. Many people in Philly also go to the same beach town and often rent the same house year after year in N.J. Back when we had mass transit in South Jersey, there was a sign at one of the train stations in Ocean City saying "East Chestnut Hill" hung by the people from Philly who vacation there.

Quote:

No, we send the message that "Hey, not only do we have great beaches, a variety of lifestyles, iconic views, etc but we also have access to NYC and Philly without the cost of actually living in them". It has nothing to do with the state of PA or the state of NY. It has to do with the cities of Philadelphia and New York.

Also, Philly does at times lay claim to us. They almost as big of an influence in South Jersey as NYC is in North Jersey. They have access to our beaches, fishing, and camp grounds.

Honestly, I'm sick of defending my state from idiots like you who change threads from "NJ vs ____" to "NJ sucks". The only reason we keep speaking up, is we need to put the stereotypes to rest.

Old 12-03-2010, 01:42 AM

1,953 posts, read 3,876,908 times
Back to SEPA vs. SJ, I feel that South Jersey has a much more diverse population. Large Italian, Jewish, Asian, Indian, Black, and Hispanic (mostly in Camden) communities are vibrant in Camden County. I know SEPA has places with high concentrations of certain groups and ethnicities, like Cheltenham's Jewish community, but I feel like it's not to the level of SJ. I go to Warminster a lot and it's a very vanilla Irish Catholic town.

Old 12-03-2010, 07:33 AM

2,419 posts, read 4,723,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soug View Post
Back to SEPA vs. SJ, I feel that South Jersey has a much more diverse population. Large Italian, Jewish, Asian, Indian, Black, and Hispanic (mostly in Camden) communities are vibrant in Camden County. I know SEPA has places with high concentrations of certain groups and ethnicities, like Cheltenham's Jewish community, but I feel like it's not to the level of SJ. I go to Warminster a lot and it's a very vanilla Irish Catholic town.
The same could be said about Marlton, NJ.

Warminster is not representative of the whole of SEPA. Not including Philly, which is mby far more diverse than anyplace in SJ, SEPA includes diverse places like Upper Darby, Chester, Norristown, Bristol etc.

Every place has towns like Warminster, even SJ.

Old 12-03-2010, 11:13 AM

2,214 posts, read 5,092,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soug View Post
I disagree with this as well, and I know you didn't mean this post in an insulting manner.

There are Italian enclaves all over SEPA (Delaware County, Ambler, Norristown, etc.) and have been there for 100 years. Many of SJ's Italian communities are originally from South Philly and fled to Camden County for green pastures. You can buy pasta products made in South Philly and Delco PA at the store, as well as from North Jersey and Trenton.

The Jewish community in Lower Merion in Montgomery County was listed on a recent Top 10 list of the most important Jewish cultural communities in the country. That's not even taking into account the Jews in the Old York Road corridor (Cheltenham and Abington) that you mention. The significance of the Jewish communities is far greater in SEPA. Have you ever been offered a free Jewish calendar while filling up your car at a gas station in Cherry Hill? This happens in Gladwyne. There is a Frank Lloyd Wright-designed synagogue in Elkins Park (Beth Shalom).

Asian and Indian - the PA and NJ burbs have large amounts of both. I know that North Wales, Blue Bell, Plymouth Meeting, and Conshohocken have large and growing Korean communities, and the Upper Dublin and North Penn School Districts are full of Indians (UD is also full of Jews, by the way). Assi Market (a national Korean grocery store chain) in the Lansdale area is always packed, and Routes 63 and 73 in PA are full of Protestant churches with Korean congregations that share their space.

Blacks are someone "segregated" in SEPA, in my opinion. They are in Chester, Coatesville, Norristown, and places like that in very large numbers. There are much lower amounts in the more suburban areas but that is slowly changing.

Hispanics - I wouldn't doubt that there are more in SJ, although the Hispanic (mainly Mexican) population in Norristown is significant, and they are also all over Chester County.

Another group that is very prevalent in SEPA are Ukranians, who are located in the boroughs such as Bridgeport and Phoenixville (which alone has 2 or 3 Ukranian/Orthodox Churches. In fact, I believe that the US Ukranian diocese is centered in PA. Also, Delco has a significant Greek population.

My point is that you are stereotyping SEPA as very WASP/Catholic/white because it's in Pennsylvania, which as a state is much more "white" than NJ, without a doubt. While SJ is diverse (and NJ is very diverse), to say that it has a "much more diverse" population or to imply that SEPA is lilly-white is false.

For the record, I think that Warminster is very vanilla. In fact, I think Warminster is pretty hideous, with shopping centers and housing developments that have not aged well. When I drive through Warminster, I get the feeling that I'm in 1972.

Last edited by BPP1999; 12-03-2010 at 11:25 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City