Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: NJ vs PA
NJ 65 40.12%
PA 97 59.88%
Voters: 162. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2010, 07:35 PM

125 posts, read 333,588 times

Advertisements

I hope this is where the thread should go

So basically, NJ and PA have this rivalry (or so I've heard). PA is obviously the larger, more vast state- But NJ is obviously the more accessible state.

The Philly area in PA flock the Jersey Shore.
The South NJians root for Philly teams and flock the city for work.

Trenton and Harrisburg are similar.
They both share the Delaware water gap (The Delaware river in general)

NJ Devils Vs Philly Flyers (biggest rivalry in hockey)

Northern NJ to NYC is like Maryland to DC. Philly has had economic ties throughout history with Trenton, Newark, Atlantic City and NYC.
~

Overall, which state do you prefer? Which state offers more? Why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2010, 07:46 PM

1,638 posts, read 3,637,466 times
Pennsylvania, easily. And Pennsylvania is not one of my favorite states...but it's decent.

Pittsburgh and Philadelphia are 100x better than any cities in New Jersey, there are far more dramatic landscapes throughout the vast state, less regulations, and overall it just offers more.

Old 11-26-2010, 07:51 PM

2,419 posts, read 4,721,264 times
I've lived in both. Went to school in MontCo(North Philly burbs:C-Ham, Abington, WG) and Camden county(Pennsauken).

PA is alot more laid back and designed on a more human scale than Jersey(at least south Jersey).

South Jersey is a poor mans hell, with alot of highway type roads, and horrible public transportation, not to mention, the people are a$$holes. And it gets expensive to cross the bridge to get into Philly.
Jersey is not all bad though.

IMO. PA is for the man on the come up, and Jersey is for the man whos already made it.

Last edited by killakoolaide; 11-26-2010 at 08:01 PM..

Old 11-26-2010, 08:02 PM

125 posts, read 333,588 times
I guess I should tell you guys what state I voted for

I voted for New Jersey. I have family there, and the some of those communities are so beautiful (Montclair, Verona, and Basking Ridge)... I especially like Jersey City & Hoboken, I'd take JC/Hob over most areas of NYC to be honest. (unless I could afford Manhattan)
The Jersey Shore alone is wonderful. I went to Point Pleasant every summer growing up, plus all the other beach towns like Cape May, Wildwood and Barnegat Light.
Jersey does Diners, Malls, and Boardwalks to a T- I was always intrigued by the "Jersey culture" lol.

As for PA- I love Philadelphia!! I love the vibe, the culture, and all the interesting neighborhoods- It's the birth place of America for pete sake!.. I've never been to Pittsburgh, so I can't say. As far as PA state goes, It can be quite rural- It's more beautiful than NJ anyway, but pretty bland.. Overall, you're never too far away from anything in NJ.

Old 11-26-2010, 08:20 PM

1,728 posts, read 4,726,045 times
I like Philly and Atlantic City, but not the rest of South Jersey. Though I do like North Jersey. South Jersey just seems bland.

Old 11-26-2010, 08:27 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,518,195 times
IMO....Pennsylvania.....it has more diverse topography, cities and people; I love Philadelphia and Pittsburgh which are quite different relative to each other also.

Old 11-26-2010, 08:43 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,845,984 times
To be honest , NJ and PA are the same in terms of topography with NJ having everything and + the beaches. NJ is more Diverse then PA , that is more to due with being sandwiched between Philly and NYC but we also have a large Euro - Asian population living here. NJ has the largest and fastest growing Transit network which is used by 1.8 million passengers daily. 3 Light Rail lines servicing all but 2 of the states largest cities , although work is underway to connect them. North and Central Jersey are the most populated and are wealthier , South Jersey is poorer but is mostly Rural. NJ only has 2 professional state teams , and we share 2 other teams with NY. Alot of Urban Jersey has been cleaning up and on the upswing for the past 10 years , but just like PA suburbanites tend to make up facts or run scared form our cities. Only 3 are bad , and that is contained to certain areas of the city.

Lets compare our future transit / Expansions by the mileage..... by 2050

New Jersey

Current system size : 570 mi
added Miles of DMU Rail : 160
added Miles of Electrified Rail : 78
added Miles of Diesel Rail : 567
added Miles of Intercity Rail : 133
added miles of Light Rail : 64
added miles of Heavy Rail : 28

Southeastern PA

Current system size : 450
added Miles of Electrified Rail : 229
added Miles of DMU : 92
added Miles of Intercity Rail : 108
added miles of Light Rail / Streetcar : 74
added miles of Heavy Rail : 13

Amish Country

Current system size : 0
added Miles of Electrified Rail : 36
added Miles of Intercity Rail : 325
added Miles of Diesel Rail : 47

Northeastern PA

Current system size : 0
added Miles of Diesel / Intercity Rail : 193

Last edited by DarkWolf; 11-26-2010 at 08:58 PM..

Old 11-26-2010, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
To be honest , NJ and PA are the same in terms of topography with NJ having everything and + the beaches. NJ is more Diverse then PA , that is more to due with being sandwiched between Philly and NYC but we also have a large Euro - Asian population living here. NJ has the largest and fastest growing Transit network which is used by 1.8 million passengers daily. 3 Light Rail lines servicing all but 2 of the states largest cities , although work is underway to connect them. North and Central Jersey are the most populated and are wealthier , South Jersey is poorer but is mostly Rural. NJ only has 2 professional state teams , and we share 2 other teams with NY. Alot of Urban Jersey has been cleaning up and on the upswing for the past 10 years , but just like PA suburbanites tend to make up facts or run scared form our cities. Only 3 are bad , and that is contained to certain areas of the city.
C'mon man, who tryna kid. You know PA is alot better. The cities are better, and even the suburbs are better. Everybody just uses Jersey for the shore, aside from that jersey sux, and everybody knows it.

Old 11-26-2010, 09:00 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,845,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killakoolaide View Post
C'mon man, who tryna kid. You know PA is alot better. The cities are better, and even the suburbs are better. Everybody just uses Jersey for the shore, aside from that jersey sux, and everybody knows it.
Your schools are terrible , your Public Transit is terrible in the suburbs and lacks in Philly .....the roads are narrow and Dangerous.....our cities are improving. Aside form Philly and the Burgh , i don't see much improvement in PA....

Old 11-26-2010, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Your schools are terrible , your Public Transit is terrible in the suburbs and lacks in Philly .....the roads are narrow and Dangerous.....our cities are improving. Aside form Philly and the Burgh , i don't see much improvement in PA....

Everybody in (south)Jersey is originally from PA anyway. The a$$holes moved away, so they could be anal without persecution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City