Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 04:15 PM

161 posts, read 182,183 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Once again, your ignorance+bias shines through.

Aside from your own opinion on how things 'should' be, you havent presented any real evidence to back up what you say...
hey, im just asking a question here: how is that possible? im not trying to pass judgment or anything because it doesnt make sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2011, 04:27 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,563,668 times
from Wikipedia :

In 2004, the United Nations Development Program (UNDP) ranked Miami first in terms of percentage of residents born outside of the country it is located in (59%), followed by Toronto (50%).

Source: Miami - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-28-2011, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
from Wikipedia :

In 2004, the United Nations Development Program (UNDP) ranked Miami first in terms of percentage of residents born outside of the country it is located in (59%), followed by Toronto (50%).

Source: Miami - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
exactly..so how is sf higher than miami if a higher percentage of people in miami are foreign born than sf?

Old 07-28-2011, 05:24 PM

36,657 posts, read 67,519,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollster31 View Post
hey, im just asking a question here:
Oh please stop acting like your innocently wondering aloud...its laughable.

Quote:
exactly..so how is sf higher than miami if a higher percentage of people in miami are foreign born than sf?
The Bay Area is larger than Miami and flat out has more foreign born people overall than the Chicago Area.

Old 07-28-2011, 06:10 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,858,983 times
Quote:
thats great, but why is that the case? i mean...come on..miami has such a powerful image. everytime i see something about miami, i feel like "wow i should definitely be there" and plus its known for having cubans and haitians and carribean people. chicago is like that for europeans like poles, bulgarians, russians, ukrainians, germans, czech, etc.
I think that part of it is that people think of everyone when they think of SF, and they have for some time.

Quote:
la is already in california. logically, all the immigrants should go to la becuase its larger, more famous, has more jobs, etc.
Well, according to that poll, SF comes a place ahead of LA...

Old 07-28-2011, 07:05 PM

2,684 posts, read 7,382,338 times
Quote:
thats great, but why is that the case? i mean...come on..miami has such a powerful image. everytime i see something about miami, i feel like "wow i should definitely be there" and plus its known for having cubans and haitians and carribean people. chicago is like that for europeans like poles, bulgarians, russians, ukrainians, germans, czech, etc.

la is already in california. logically, all the immigrants should go to la becuase its larger, more famous, has more jobs, etc.
2010 data hasn't come out, so I'm using the 2005-2009 American Community Survey data. Listed below the metro area are where each foreign born area is the most prolific

Detailed Tables - American FactFinder

Bay Area Foreign Born: 2,088,610 (44 of which 12 are European, 23 are located on Asia, 5 are located in Africa, 3 are located in Oceania, and 1 is located in the Americas)

United Kingdom
Denmark
Norway
Sweden
Belgium
France
Germany
Netherlands
Switzerland
Portugal
Moldova
Russia
China
Japan
Korea
Afghanistan
India
Iran
Kazakhstan
Nepal
Sri Lanka
Uzbekistan
Cambodia
Indonesia
Laos
Malaysia
Burma
Philippines
Singapore
Thailand
Vietnam
Lebanon
Yemen
Turkey
Armenia
Eritrea
Ethiopia
Kenya
Egypt
Sudan
Australia
New Zealand
Fiji
El Salvador

South Florida Foreign Born: 2,004,638 (32, of which 2 are located in Europe, 2 located on the continent of Asia, 0 in Oceania, and 29 located in the Americas)
Spain
Hungary
Bangladesh
Israel
South Africa
Cape Verde
Bahamas
Barbados
Cuba
Dominica
Dominican Republic
Grenada
Haiti
Jamaica
St. Vincent and Grenadines
Trinidad and Tobago
Costa Rica
Guatemala
Honduras
Nicaragua
Panama
Argentina
Bolivia
Brazil
Chile
Colombia
Ecuador
Guyana
Peru
Uruguay
Venezuela
Canada

Chicagoland Foreign Born: 1,633,613 (31, or 32 really because Czech Republic and Slovakia are two different countries, of which 17-18 are in Europe, 6 are located on the continent of Asia, 6 are located in Africa, 2 located in the Americas)

Ireland
Austria
Greece
Italy
Albania
Belarus
Bulgaria
Croatia
Czechoslovakia (hasn't existed for 18 years..weird)
Latvia
Lithuania
Macedonia
Poland
Romania
Ukraine
Bosnia
Serbia
Pakistan
Iraq
Jordan
Kuwait
Saudi Arabia
Syria
Cameroon
Morocco
Ghana
Liberia
Nigeria
Sierra Leone
Mexico
Belize

Old 07-28-2011, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshadower View Post
2010 data hasn't come out, so I'm using the 2005-2009 American Community Survey data. Listed below the metro area are where each foreign born area is the most prolific

Detailed Tables - American FactFinder

Bay Area Foreign Born: 2,088,610 (44 of which 12 are European, 23 are located on Asia, 5 are located in Africa, 3 are located in Oceania, and 1 is located in the Americas)

United Kingdom
Denmark
Norway
Sweden
Belgium
France
Germany
Netherlands
Switzerland
Portugal
Moldova
Russia
China
Japan
Korea
Afghanistan
India
Iran
Kazakhstan
Nepal
Sri Lanka
Uzbekistan
Cambodia
Indonesia
Laos
Malaysia
Burma
Philippines
Singapore
Thailand
Vietnam
Lebanon
Yemen
Turkey
Armenia
Eritrea
Ethiopia
Kenya
Egypt
Sudan
Australia
New Zealand
Fiji
El Salvador

South Florida Foreign Born: 2,004,638 (32, of which 2 are located in Europe, 2 located on the continent of Asia, 0 in Oceania, and 29 located in the Americas)
Spain
Hungary
Bangladesh
Israel
South Africa
Cape Verde
Bahamas
Barbados
Cuba
Dominica
Dominican Republic
Grenada
Haiti
Jamaica
St. Vincent and Grenadines
Trinidad and Tobago
Costa Rica
Guatemala
Honduras
Nicaragua
Panama
Argentina
Bolivia
Brazil
Chile
Colombia
Ecuador
Guyana
Peru
Uruguay
Venezuela
Canada

Chicagoland Foreign Born: 1,633,613 (31, or 32 really because Czech Republic and Slovakia are two different countries, of which 17-18 are in Europe, 6 are located on the continent of Asia, 6 are located in Africa, 2 located in the Americas)

Ireland
Austria
Greece
Italy
Albania
Belarus
Bulgaria
Croatia
Czechoslovakia (hasn't existed for 18 years..weird)
Latvia
Lithuania
Macedonia
Poland
Romania
Ukraine
Bosnia
Serbia
Pakistan
Iraq
Jordan
Kuwait
Saudi Arabia
Syria
Cameroon
Morocco
Ghana
Liberia
Nigeria
Sierra Leone
Mexico
Belize
wait wait, something isnt right..how does sf have more russian born people than chicago? there are a lot eastern european people in chicago a lot of whom are russian. i never think of "russian" when i think of sf, except for how far left the city is like the soviet union.

Old 07-28-2011, 08:09 PM

Quote:
wait wait, something isnt right..how does sf have more russian born people than chicago? there are a lot eastern european people in chicago a lot of whom are russian. i never think of "russian" when i think of sf, except for how far left the city is like the soviet union.

[IMG]http://i1089.photobucket.com/albums/i342/squeeze_it_*******/722111122.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i1089.photobucket.com/albums/i342/squeeze_it_*******/722111123.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i1089.photobucket.com/albums/i342/squeeze_it_*******/722111114.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i1089.photobucket.com/albums/i342/squeeze_it_*******/722111113.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i1089.photobucket.com/albums/i342/squeeze_it_*******/722111108.jpg[/IMG]

You may have said elsewhere that your opinion of SF and CA in general was changing, but you've proven over and over that your perceptions are so far off base, you've got some distance to cover!

Old 07-28-2011, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post

You may have said elsewhere that your opinion of SF and CA in general was changing, but you've proven over and over that your perceptions are so far off base, you've got some distance to cover!
but isnt chicago known for eastern europeans? and arent there plenty of russians buying land in south florida and those coming from nyc?

for a secondary metro area in a state, sf bay packs quite a powerful punch. my judgment is hazy becuase if sf wasnt in cali, it would definitely be the most powerful metro in almost any other state aside from ny, nj, il, ma, pa, va, and md. but it still is the secondary area making it pretty overshadowed by la.

Old 07-28-2011, 08:46 PM

Quote:
but isnt chicago known for eastern europeans? and arent there plenty of russians buying land in south florida and those coming from nyc?
I don't really think of Russians when I think of IL. I think of Italian, Irish, and black folks, though I know that there are also a massive number of Latin Americans.

Also, it's not like every Russian comes through NYC. Plenty move straight here from Russia. There's also a large Russian population in Seattle. Plenty move to these areas beause they intend to stay there; I know it's tough to accept, but NYC isn't on everyone's top destination list.

Quote:
for a secondary metro area in a state, sf bay packs quite a powerful punch. my judgment is hazy becuase if sf wasnt in cali, it would definitely be the most powerful metro in almost any other state aside from ny, nj, il, ma, pa, va, and md. but it still is the secondary area making it pretty overshadowed by la.
It's really not overshadowed, though. In most peoples' minds, they occupy a fairly peaceful coexistence within the borders of the same state, and it adds to California's uniqueness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City