Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city provides the best/most opportunities for urban living?
Houston 63 37.28%
Dallas 54 31.95%
Fort Worth 5 2.96%
Austin 26 15.38%
San Antonio 18 10.65%
El Paso 3 1.78%
Voters: 169. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 04:48 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,199,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
yes it's true, both dallas and atlanta's new developments tend to fee more contrived while it seems to be done more organically in houston

what i honestly want more than anything for dallas is more skyscrapers, really. to be a part of the 4th largest american metro, their skyline is so dull

spade will probably ridicule me for this lol, but i've always looked at dallas as having the potential to become a smaller chicago....the former seems to be channeling the latter in some areas of the city, and chi is of course known for its skyscrapers; i really wish that was the direction dallas was heading in
I actually agree. When I see the downtown skyline mixed in with uptown and the other districts. It's really nice and reminds me of Chicago.

The pictures on this page explain exactly what I'm talking about:
//www.city-data.com/forum/city-...wntown-13.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2010, 05:11 PM

2,744 posts, read 6,108,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post

Looks more or less the Same as San Antonio's. Nothing to run home to mama for.

Old 12-01-2010, 05:16 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,933,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweethomeSanAntonio View Post
Looks more or less the Same as San Antonio's. Nothing to run home to mama for.
lol, your little edge city cannot compare.

Old 12-01-2010, 05:31 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
i voted for dallas in this thread. not sure where they rank on the walkability scale, but i just like their urban neighborhoods better. the state thomas and m streets areas are nicer than anything i've personally seen in houston. and of course there's the advantage of DART

dallas is still kind of bland in comparison to houston, in my opinion, but i think people forget about how urban it is in many parts simply because it doesn't have all the skyscrapers houston has
I do like West Village and many parts of Uptown which includes VP . Houston's answer to that is Midtown but it's still relatively new and not as large to scale so WV and Uptown has the advantage there. Downtown Dallas and Downtown Houston are about equal. But I'd put DTH slightly ahead as there are more activities in DTH than in DTD. I also like the new developments in North Oak Cliff. But I don't see the new dense residential townhouse units going up outside of the core in Dallas like I see in Houston. This is why I said Houston has a more consistent urban fabric than Dallas.

Quote:
spade will probably ridicule me for this lol, but i've always looked at dallas as having the potential to become a smaller chicago....the former seems to be channeling the latter in some areas of the city, and chi is of course known for its skyscrapers; i really wish that was the direction dallas was heading in
The funny thing is that Houston has a better chance to become that skyline city like Chicago. If Houston was to somehow infill downtown to TMC to Uptown, that would be one heck of a skyline. We've already seen the skyline from a distance behind the fence. Dallas has the same type, but it's not as large as Houston's. But as much as I have spoken up for Houston in this thread. No Dallas is not far behind and that's mostly because of the Uptown Dallas.

And I'm assuming you're talking about this area.
M Street Dallas, Texas - Google Maps

Old 12-01-2010, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post

The funny thing is that Houston has a better chance to become that skyline city like Chicago. If Houston was to somehow infill downtown to TMC to Uptown, that would be one heck of a skyline. We've already seen the skyline from a distance behind the fence. Dallas has the same type, but it's not as large as Houston's. But as much as I have spoken up for Houston in this thread. No Dallas is not far behind and that's mostly because of the Uptown Dallas.
was gonna say the same thing, but I had boosted Houston too much already in this thread so I was waiting for someone else to bring it up. The gap between DT and TMC is much easier to accomplish because it is only about 2 miles.

DT to UP is about 5 miles tho. I think a DT to TMC and then an UT to GWP is more likely and would look quite nice have two ginomous skylines in one loop

In between the two it would be nice if it was populated with lower rise buildings. I would like to see a rail along Richmond peppered with buildings 75 to 150 feet tall.

Last edited by HtownLove; 12-01-2010 at 05:49 PM..

Old 12-01-2010, 05:45 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,035,535 times
What are you talking about becoming a "smaller" Chicago? I'm from Chicago and I don't agree with that AT ALL.

The only city that can even form a miniature version of Chicago in terms of Skyline is Houston. Not Dallas.

Built since the year 2000 (Highrises):
Chicago- 203
New York City- 517
Toronto- 386
San Francisco- 49
Los Angeles- 27
Houston- 74
Atlanta- 73
Las Vegas- 68
Miami- 239

Dallas didn't even beat Los Angeles....

One uniform skyline, Dallas Downtown + Uptown still has less buildings than Downtown Houston alone.

And for the future.

Planned:
Houston- 47
Dallas- 20

In Existence at Present:
Houston- 359
Dallas- 245

And in terms of development, the closest thing to Chicago in Texas is Houston.

Lets let Houston be Houston and Dallas be Dallas, because neither of them are going to be Chicago and thats a good thing. Dallas wont have one uniform skyline at all that will resemble a Mini-Chicago. Dallas (or Houston) have no natural waterfront and that makes most of Chicago's appearance. Dallas is not balanced with 1 Supertall on all three sides of its skyline (Left, Center, & Right). Hell Dallas doesn't even have a supertall. Dallas's Downtown or Uptown cant compare to The Loop of Chicago and given Dallas's development it wont either and that goes for Houston too.

Man now I know how LAnative10 used to feel when someone from Houston would claim Houston is a smaller Los Angeles. This is the 4th time (others being ladarron, kate_she, & Dallasson) I've seen someone claim Dallas is a smaller Chicago, and its nuts because there is NOTHING similar about Chicago & Dallas in terms of development or even looks.

Lets let Houston become Houston, and the freakin best Houston it can ever become.
Lets let Dallas become Dallas and the freakin best Dallas it can ever become.

Lets NOT go off on tangents making all these wild claims about them being smaller mirrors to Los Angeles & Chicago.

Old 12-01-2010, 05:48 PM

362 posts, read 1,057,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
lol, your little edge city cannot compare.

Don't expect anything good said about San Antonio coming out of Htown. He already says he hates and it shows it in his replies. San Antonio is becoming very urban with lots of mixed use developments in the central part of the city and improving it's downtown. Even if San Antonio became as urban as Manhattan he wouldn't admit and still trash it.

You are wasting your sweettime-sweethomeSA! Both of you guys.

Old 12-01-2010, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey1984 View Post
Don't expect anything good said about San Antonio coming out of Htown. He already says he hates and it shows it in his replies. San Antonio is becoming very urban with lots of mixed use developments in the central part of the city and improving it's downtown. Even if San Antonio became as urban as Manhattan he wouldn't admit and still trash it.

You are wasting your sweettime-sweethomeSA! Both of you guys.
oh no bones about it, I hate it.

but you are wrong to say I wouldn't give it its due. I have stood up for it a few times when people were making clearly wrong statements. so I would admit it if it was, but that doesn't mean I would not still hate it.

but you are right to say he is wasting his time, he is definitely wasting his time trying to convince anyone that DT SA is bigger than DT Houston or that SA is more urban than Houston

Old 12-01-2010, 05:54 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,843,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I do like West Village and many parts of Uptown which includes VP . Houston's answer to that is Midtown but it's still relatively new and not as large to scale so WV and Uptown has the advantage there. Downtown Dallas and Downtown Houston are about equal. But I'd put DTH slightly ahead as there are more activities in DTH than in DTD. I also like the new developments in North Oak Cliff. But I don't see the new dense residential townhouse units going up outside of the core in Dallas like I see in Houston. This is why I said Houston has a more consistent urban fabric than Dallas.

And I'm assuming you're talking about this area.
M Street Dallas, Texas - Google Maps
i don't think it's so much just the skyline; call me crazy, but i sometimes get chicago-ish vibes in dallas. maybe it's d's midwestern/slightly northern feel. they're both these flat, somewhat plain-like cities. i've even seen some similar architecture. maybe it's just me, though lol.....i just think it would be exciting to see dallas get some more talls and density around the city

houston is just houston, and i don't see it becoming anything but a bigger version of itself

Old 12-01-2010, 05:59 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,843,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYY View Post
What are you talking about becoming a "smaller" Chicago? I'm from Chicago and I don't agree with that AT ALL.

The only city that can even form a miniature version of Chicago in terms of Skyline is Houston. Not Dallas.

Built since the year 2000 (Highrises):
Chicago- 203
New York City- 517
Toronto- 386
San Francisco- 49
Los Angeles- 27
Houston- 74
Atlanta- 73
Las Vegas- 68
Miami- 239

Dallas didn't even beat Los Angeles....

One uniform skyline, Dallas Downtown + Uptown still has less buildings than Downtown Houston alone.

And for the future.

Planned:
Houston- 47
Dallas- 20

In Existence at Present:
Houston- 359
Dallas- 245

And in terms of development, the closest thing to Chicago in Texas is Houston.

Lets let Houston be Houston and Dallas be Dallas, because neither of them are going to be Chicago and thats a good thing. Dallas wont have one uniform skyline at all that will resemble a Mini-Chicago. Dallas (or Houston) have no natural waterfront and that makes most of Chicago's appearance. Dallas is not balanced with 1 Supertall on all three sides of its skyline (Left, Center, & Right). Hell Dallas doesn't even have a supertall. Dallas's Downtown or Uptown cant compare to The Loop of Chicago and given Dallas's development it wont either and that goes for Houston too.

Man now I know how LAnative10 used to feel when someone from Houston would claim Houston is a smaller Los Angeles. This is the 4th time (others being ladarron, kate_she, & Dallasson) I've seen someone claim Dallas is a smaller Chicago, and its nuts because there is NOTHING similar about Chicago & Dallas in terms of development or even looks.

Lets let Houston become Houston, and the freakin best Houston it can ever become.
Lets let Dallas become Dallas and the freakin best Dallas it can ever become.

Lets NOT go off on tangents making all these wild claims about them being smaller mirrors to Los Angeles & Chicago.
why are you taking my words out of context? i didn't say anything about dallas matching chicago's skyline size or becoming just like the city. i'm saying that one city sort-of reminds me of the other, and that one could become even more reminiscient of the other

calm down, because it really isn't all that serious.....i swear this whole attacking other's opinions thing is really getting out of control lately
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City