Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: SLC Vs Denver
Wasatch Front (SLC) 47 37.30%
Front Range (Denver) 79 62.70%
Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2021, 04:16 PM

229 posts, read 217,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Parties are legal in Utah?
You know it! 15 bars/breweries/distilleries within half a mile of my house in sugarhouse SLC. It definitely doesn’t compare to Denver’s scene but it’s gotten a lot better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2021, 04:23 PM

9,849 posts, read 6,566,773 times
Transportation: Denver
Skyline: SLC imo
Big City feeling: Neither
Scenery: Both if you're into mountains
Downtown Area: Denver
Suburbs: SLC
Climate: similar
Things to do: Denver
Traffic: SLC (less traffic)
Pollution: SLC (less pollution)
Entertainment: Denver
Nightlife: Denver
Culture: Neither

Old 02-24-2021, 04:30 PM

403 posts, read 295,513 times
Im confused at this comparison. SLC is a rising star, no doubt.

But Denver is about twice the size and offers more than twice the amenities.

SLC could be compared to probably Austin. Which is a smaller version of Denver essentially.

Old 02-24-2021, 04:35 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,718,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Transportation: Denver
Skyline: SLC imo
Big City feeling: Neither
Scenery: Both if you're into mountains
Downtown Area: Denver
Suburbs: SLC
Climate: similar
Things to do: Denver
Traffic: SLC (less traffic)
Pollution: SLC (less pollution)
Entertainment: Denver
Nightlife: Denver
Culture: Neither
That's pretty harsh, sheesh.

I like Denver's culture-it's not steeped in culture by any stretch...but how can you not like health, fitness, and outdoorsiness?

Old 02-24-2021, 04:42 PM

9,849 posts, read 6,566,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post

I like Denver's culture-it's not steeped in culture by any stretch...but how can you not like health, fitness, and outdoorsiness?
That's beautiful... But I can live a healthy lifestyle everywhere. It's great that Denver is a more active city, but that's not what comes to mind for me when I think of culture. I look into iconic ties, landmarks, music, etc. Artisticly, Denver is one of the leaders of the "hipster vibe", you can find that everywhere. I've visited Denver many many times and have yet to find something that ties it to the city. I agree on the health being a good factor for them, but as mentioned, that's not what comes to mind for me when I think of culture.

Old 02-24-2021, 04:42 PM

6,372 posts, read 4,985,124 times
I haven't actually been to SLC yet, besides airport transfers (which was what eventually motivated me to actually fly to Denver), but the urbanity that I've seen from streetviews looks really unimpressive. Denver has a huge quilt of urban neighborhoods for several miles outside the downtown in all directions, SLC seems to have a few small urban neighborhoods outside the downtown at best (Marmalade, some areas on the near east side?). Someone brought up Millcreek and Murray as "urban suburbs", and the most urban parts of them I can find don't have nearly the density and walkability of places like Edgewater and Englewood. I feel like SLC's light rail is creating an illusion here. Urbanity level is a huge factor and affects a lot of other things about a place's lifestyle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
Denver has mountain views but from much of the city it looks so distant.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
Scenery: Denver's biggest letdown. Denver is NOT a pretty city from anything I have seen. The mountains are right in your face
Man, Denver's scenery can't catch a break here

Old 02-24-2021, 06:07 PM

5,349 posts, read 5,123,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Parties are legal in Utah?
I think celebrations would be the more appropriate moniker
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post

I didn't like the culture, these same people that are into health and fitness are also really into themselves. Conversations always seemed shallow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denverpro View Post
Most people in metro Denver DO NOT go hiking in the high mountain ranges that are 1-2 hours away, because, as I've said a trillion times there is more road infrastructure and park infrastructure within the foothills and within 1 hour than there are in the high country areas. Just because an areas is more country or more mountainy does mean there is more hiking. You need infrastructure to hike 99% of hikers hike on developed trails, its actually illegal to go off the trail here.
Oh god, I hated the foothills hikes! So many people, you'd pass them then they'd pass you then you'd pass them again, you were always in some miserable joggers way, then you'd have to go pee but you couldn't... The scenery wasn't that phenomenal either, except for a couple spots. It was only when I found the areas just past the immediate foothills up off I 70 or 285 that I found the beauty of Denver, hiking off the trail and exploring the raw wilderness! Empire and Pine were great, Golden sucked.

Old 02-24-2021, 06:23 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,718,846 times
Quote:
That's beautiful... But I can live a healthy lifestyle everywhere. It's great that Denver is a more active city, but that's not what comes to mind for me when I think of culture. I look into iconic ties, landmarks, music, etc. Artisticly, Denver is one of the leaders of the "hipster vibe", you can find that everywhere. I've visited Denver many many times and have yet to find something that ties it to the city. I agree on the health being a good factor for them, but as mentioned, that's not what comes to mind for me when I think of culture.
I think the difference is that its a culture there-not just something you can do. I agree with what your saying I just thought it was a pretty inclusive, healthy place in general. But yea pretty bland.

Old 02-24-2021, 06:56 PM

6,372 posts, read 4,985,124 times
Quote:
Yeah that's actually one area where SLC does outshine Denver. For better or worse, you can tell when you're in Utah in a way you can't in Colorado.

Old 02-25-2021, 08:00 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,729,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
Yeah that's actually one area where SLC does outshine Denver. For better or worse, you can tell when you're in Utah in a way you can't in Colorado.
Because there's an LDS church on every corner? LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City