Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2011, 10:48 AM

86 posts, read 121,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeBobSnakePants View Post
Given the shallow context of most of these "Atlanta Versus the Universe" type threads, I'm surprised that wasn't sufficient for you.

Anyway, congrats on the Carribean and African (black) migrants, oh how I wish I lived in Atlanta so I could hear 20 languages everyday.
Seeing as how you are likely the idiot who posted this
Quote:
Atlanta and Georgia (and all the Southern sprawl cities) have enormous obesity problems, chain restaurants galore and are run by anti-environmental Republicans and biblethumpers. Seattle for the win!
as a private message proves you aren't worth the time to even converse with. Let alone the idea that African and Caribbean immigrants are not good enough or inferior to your liking to be considered anything but "black" and thus not good enough for you to consider "diverse" becuase of their skin colors. Congrats on your progressive liberal thinking. Despite where you are from if you are black or white skinned you aren't diverse for SpongebobSnakepants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2011, 12:34 AM

260 posts, read 757,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
I think the last point is highly debatable.
You're right. Atlanta gets alot of the African and Caribbean immigrants. And alot of Hipanic immigrants too. From first hand experience I would say Seattle has more Asian and European immigrants. Both have a huge influx of immigrants.

Old 01-02-2011, 01:05 AM

531 posts, read 1,143,130 times
seattle wins in virtually ever aspect; although i have heard great things about the college park and BANKhead neighborhoods...

Old 01-02-2011, 04:11 PM

23,447 posts, read 44,050,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ive8ight5ive View Post
seattle wins in virtually ever aspect; although i have heard great things about the college park and BANKhead neighborhoods...
How about leaving this thread for the grownups that wish to engage in serious discussion, Spanky?

Old 01-02-2011, 04:34 PM

803 posts, read 1,264,112 times
Seattle is much safer.

Old 07-10-2012, 01:54 PM

5 posts, read 22,921 times
once you go up to north fulton, though, the schools are excellent. you dont have to IN city limits.

Old 07-11-2012, 05:25 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,234,836 times
What puts Seattle over the top imo are a few things:
a. In 13 yrs of living in Seattle, never had ac.
b. Living by water means beaches, sea breezes, boat rides, the island getaways, whale watching.
c. One of the top downtowns in the nation with major shopping, eating, nightlife, culture, tons of residents and Pike Place Market.
d. Beautiful scenery
e. Great ski scene
f. Pretty safe for an american big city. Things like
homicides were less than 20 last year. Though slightly
higher this year.

Old 04-05-2015, 12:17 PM

4 posts, read 4,630 times
I'm a working architecture/city planning professional from Atlanta and recently visited Seattle and I would definitely encourage the readers on this thread to come to Atlanta. The demographics are drastically changing (diversifying in a positive way). The city is gaining momentum in a way much more significant than Seattle. Plus the food and climate is much better and the cost of living is much cheaper. I would also argue than there ARE k-12 schools that are actually cutting edge in ATL, you simply have to look for them. The city has only recently experienced such a large revitalization and atlanta public schools still need much work but the surrounding area has excellent schools that are some of the best in the nation.

That being said we are way behind on the transit aspect and the downtown isn't as vibrant as seattle's core but atlanta has a lot of unique neighborhoods and flavor that have confirmed it for me as being a place of long term settlement

Old 04-05-2015, 12:39 PM

2,848 posts, read 6,434,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Loney View Post
Funny how folks clam the weather in Seattle is so bad. I suggest the next time you're dying of the heat and humidity come June no less, you'd gladly trade for a 70 degree, no humidity and no bugs day.

It's all a give and take and it's all relative. If you like what Atlanta has to offer, so be it.

Seattle, like Atlanta offers the typical amenities and things you'd expect from a big city.

But the two biggest differences are simple in my view.

Food
Outdoor living

Seattle's access to fresh locally grown and raised food in unsurpassed. Whether it's the locally grown fruits and vegetables, local wines, microbrewed beers, the amazing array of Pacific Seafood, or the meats raised locally, it beats anywhere else in the country my view.

Take a stroll through the Pike Place Market. The locally grown food provides an orgy for the senses.

And the outdoor splendor PWRight1 so often demonstrates with his great pics so close to the city is nothing short of magnificent. 3 National Parks are less than 60 miles as the crow flies from Seattle. Real National Parks, not Monuments.

It all adds to the quality of life. Consistently Seattle is ranked as one of the healthiest cities in the country. It's not an accident.
A lot of people on City Data love to play up the Atlanta is hot and humid aspect to place themselves above it totally ignoring that the hot humid portion of the year in Atlanta is much much shorter than the rainy dreary portion of the year in Seattle or the freezing your co hones off portion of the year in Chicago.

Like right now the weather in Atlanta is gorgeous but the majority of the year while the weather is nice here and miserable where they are people on CD will still be talking about "yeah but it gets hot and humid in Atlanta"

Old 04-06-2015, 09:19 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,128,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sfromatl View Post
I'm a working architecture/city planning professional from Atlanta and recently visited Seattle and I would definitely encourage the readers on this thread to come to Atlanta. The demographics are drastically changing (diversifying in a positive way). The city is gaining momentum in a way much more significant than Seattle. Plus the food and climate is much better and the cost of living is much cheaper. I would also argue than there ARE k-12 schools that are actually cutting edge in ATL, you simply have to look for them. The city has only recently experienced such a large revitalization and atlanta public schools still need much work but the surrounding area has excellent schools that are some of the best in the nation.

That being said we are way behind on the transit aspect and the downtown isn't as vibrant as seattle's core but atlanta has a lot of unique neighborhoods and flavor that have confirmed it for me as being a place of long term settlement
Atlanta's transit is superior to Seattle. Seattle doesn't even have heavy rail subway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City