Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where would you rather live?
Seattle all the way! 193 52.02%
Philadelphia all the way! 153 41.24%
Other (Please specify) 25 6.74%
Voters: 371. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 04:39 PM

4,045 posts, read 4,427,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
You should learn to string a few grammatically correct sentences together before calling people illiterate. Thanks!
Nice deflection from the pseudo-intellectual term

Old 04-09-2013, 04:42 PM

456 posts, read 774,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toure View Post
Population does signify a big portion. You just said New York would be the same with 2,000,000. And your wrong. Population matters, and the size of the metro determines a lot.
If the comparison was completely crazy or we settled all of these threads by just consulting the size of the MSA or city clearly we wouldn't have 80+ pages (and growing) of discussion on this topic.

The nuanced argument viz. a viz. size is that it matters some but its not necessarily the dominant factor. Obviously a town of a few thousand is a different from a city of several million. But once an a city grows to a certain size and achieves certain densities then its just one of many factors that you can consider. There are economies of scale but also at a certain point you start to have more of the same amenities and features than a single person can possibly take advantage of. I think you can make a reasonable argument that an MSA of 4 million is not inherently different than an MSA of 5 million to pick some hypothetical numbers.

Ben

Old 04-09-2013, 04:53 PM

21,830 posts, read 25,114,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valentro View Post
Actually Seattle routinely ranks as one of the most desirable cities in which people want to live in year after year (unfortunately they didn't do their legendary polling in 2012): Harris Interactive: Harris Polls > 3 Sunny States Remain Top Choices for Where Americans Would Like to Live

It's also been ranked as one of the world's cities with an admirable reputation: Vancouver Voted City With the World

Hundreds of similar public opinion polls wield similar results. It's not hard to see why, while Seattle wasn't what I expected it to be, my hats off to a very admirable and presentable environment. I could still live in Seattle I suppose, really beautiful city in more ways than one. Cities of San Diego, Seattle, and Denver are American favorites, I've encountered similar enthusiasm for them in actual life as well. I'm never astonished, I can see why.

Before someone posts travel and leisure, which usually always happens consider the sources. One is a very third rate one that every three years revamps their lists to be the complete opposite of what they had it as and the other is a think tank national analysts hire to predict the margin a presidential candidate will win by and other such pollings, in which Harris Interactive dispels most of their competitors with the closest results.
But hey, Philly dropped out of the 15 cities you'd least like to live in!

Old 04-09-2013, 04:59 PM

6,725 posts, read 6,718,975 times
Quote:
Population matters, and the size of the metro determines a lot.
Well, if that's the case, Kinshasa beats both Philly and Seattle. While the Kinshasa homers might disagree with me, I'll take economic activity over raw head count any day.

Seattle's metro GDP is 2/3rds Philly's in spite of Philly's 200 year head start, its DT office space has higher lease rates, and its got more DT office space. If Philly is so big and important, it should be able to support more than just 40 million sq ft downtown and lease rates of more than $30/ft. Forget Seattle, I'm not sure DT Philly matches up all that well against Tyson's Corner.

Old 04-09-2013, 05:09 PM

3,715 posts, read 5,265,884 times
Quote:
We don't need you, or want you! Lol!!! We have a lot of millionaires without you.. Thousands actually.
you have a lot more ghetto usueless people than millionaires

Old 04-09-2013, 05:15 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,689,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
And with this post, we prove that Philadelphia definitely doesn't win on the 'education' metrics, given this prime example of reading comprehension fail.

The context by which I stated "3rd world country" was limited to the setup of the food carts and stands. Portland is famous for their very large population of these propane-fueled fast-food huts. If you're going to base food upon those things (which, yes, are a bit of an eyesore and make whatever section of town they are in look like a 3rd world market), then Portland is the more appropriate place to compare. All I was simply saying was setting up a bunch of them makes the area look 3rd world, not that Philly as a whole has a 3rd world look.

You went and took that statement in a wholly different direction. You clearly love Philly. That's great, have fun with that. You're one of a relatively small percentage who does.
When is the last time you were in Philly? 10 years ago, I would agree, it was nothing special, but as Anthony Bourdain will tell you, Philadelphia really has stepped it's restaurant game up in the last 5 years. Philadelphia can certainly go toe to toe with Seattle in the food scene as well as practically any city in the country. Not to mention Philadelphia was just rated for the best coffee and best sandwich in America. Wait... I thought Seattle was known for coffee?

Your bashing and attacks on the city are pretty unnecessary if you ask me. 1.6 mill city population, 6+ mill metro population, and 30 million visitors last year, more than Seattle and Portland combined, not to mention, Philadelphia was one of the highest ranked cities on Travel and Leisure in 2011 from tourists (a site you westcoasters seem to love). I wouldn't say he's a small percentage at all.

Lastly, as for education, I would safe Philadelphia fares pretty well. All states in the Philadelphia region, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Delaware and Maryland have better education that Washington, which in fact, ranks pretty low. Maybe you should look these things up before you go running your mouth.
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

While I'm not sure on Toure's education, I gauruntee you the majority of use are better educated than you are... oh and we have far superior universities to boot too.

Good luck in all your endeavors.

Last edited by Yac; 04-23-2013 at 07:13 AM..

Old 04-09-2013, 05:17 PM

6,725 posts, read 6,718,975 times
Quote:
We have a lot of millionaires without you.. Thousands actually.
Yes, and much of that wealth was created in 1728.

With a future far less exciting than Seattle's, I can understand why you want to focus so much on the past. Though I seriously doubt that if Ben Franklin were alive today, he'd shun the city of jet engines, software, and cloud computing for a city that has the same ed/med economy as Allentown, Binghamton, and Reading.

Old 04-09-2013, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrix542 View Post
you have a lot more ghetto usueless people than millionaires
While I will agree that the city has more swaths of ghetto land than most of us would like, I would hardly call the Philadelphia metro poor. Out of all the cities/metros in the U.S. with the most millionaires, Philadelphia ranks 7th, Seattle does not rank at all.

Again, do your research before you open your mouth.

10 US Cities With The Most Millionaires - Business Insider

Old 04-09-2013, 05:18 PM

This is absurd. With the amount of bashing coming in at Philadelphia you think this thread would be closed... any other thread would've been closed by now.

Old 04-09-2013, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
Yes, and much of that wealth was created in 1728.

With a future far less exciting than Seattle's, I can understand why you want to focus so much on the past. Though I seriously doubt that if Ben Franklin were alive today, he'd shun the city of jet engines, software, and cloud computing for a city that has the same ed/med economy as Allentown, Binghamton, and Reading.
Hmmm.... really? Last I checked Philadelphia has one of the best educational and medical sectors in the country.

#5... ahead of Seattle which ranks #7
For those planning to live beyond 2011, a real list of top medical cities | MedCity News

University of Pennsylvania... ranked #8
National University Rankings | Top National Universities | US News Best Colleges

Philadelphia also has the highest concentration of colleges/universities in the country, higher than Boston.

Philadelphia is also strong in Finance, Law, Tourism, media/telecommunications, pharmaceuticals, biomedical, retail/apparel, Real Estate companies, etc. etc. Philadelphia has one of the most diverse economies in the country.

Lastly, Philadelphia is picking up steam in the energy
Philadelphia?s energy industry hits the reset button - Dallas Business Journal

...and tech sectors
What Will Be Philadelphia's Next Calling Card? Technology, Sustainability, Food or the Arts?

Lastly, UPenn, Drexel and others are forming the beginnings of one of the largest research sectors in the country on par with Cambridge and the Research Triangle:
University City Science Center's Port incubator adds five tenants - Philadelphia Business Journal
2-step ovarian cancer treatment reverses disease - Times Of India
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/10/he...anted=all&_r=0

Yes, but I'm sure Comcast, Aramark, Sunoco, Cigna, Vangaurd and other very large powerful Philadelphia based companies were created in 1728. You're pretty funny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City