Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where would you rather live?
Seattle all the way! 193 52.02%
Philadelphia all the way! 153 41.24%
Other (Please specify) 25 6.74%
Voters: 371. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 05:34 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,689,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
Well, if that's the case, Kinshasa beats both Philly and Seattle. While the Kinshasa homers might disagree with me, I'll take economic activity over raw head count any day.

Seattle's metro GDP is 2/3rds Philly's in spite of Philly's 200 year head start, its DT office space has higher lease rates, and its got more DT office space. If Philly is so big and important, it should be able to support more than just 40 million sq ft downtown and lease rates of more than $30/ft. Forget Seattle, I'm not sure DT Philly matches up all that well against Tyson's Corner.
You're forgetting that Philadelphia is a multinodal city. Are you purposely forgetting to list the sq ft of office space in King of Prussia, University City, The Navy Yard, Temple University/Temple Hospital, Wilmington, The City Avenue Corridor/Bala Cynwyd, Conshohocken, Cherry Hill, Pheonixville, Oxford Valley, Newtown, Jenkintown, etc. etc. etc. etc.

Old 04-09-2013, 05:36 PM

6,725 posts, read 6,718,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toure View Post
Philly got more visitors overseas, and domestic, then Seattle AND Portland #9 most visited city.
No it didn't. You need to count overnight visitors. Seattle's got more hotel rooms and almost exactly the same overnight visitors as Philly, about 10 million/year.

I'm often a non-overnight visitor when I stop in Philly to get gas. But the primary competition for my tourist dollars in this case is the New Jersey Turnpike.

Old 04-09-2013, 05:36 PM

3,117 posts, read 4,584,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
When is the last time you were in Philly? 10 years ago, I would agree, it was nothing special, but as Anthony Bourdain will tell you, Philadelphia really has stepped it's restaurant game up in the last 5 years. Philadelphia can certainly go toe to toe with Seattle in the food scene as well as practically any city in the country. Not to mention Philadelphia was just rated for the best coffee and best sandwich in America. Wait... I thought Seattle was known for coffee?
Takes more than 5 years to develop a food scene. Philly's food scene is better than it was when I (briefly) lived there, but it's still well behind the pack of the front-runners in this country ie New York, San Francisco, Seattle, and Chicago. And I would put a Salumi sandwich or a midnight Cuban from Paseo up against anything - ANYTHING, including the cheesesteaks - Philly has to offer. I'd do it every day and thrice on Sunday.

Quote:
Your bashing and attacks on the city are pretty unnecessary if you ask me. 1.6 mill city population, 6+ mill metro population, and 30 million visitors last year, more than Seattle and Portland combined, not to mention, Philadelphia was one of the highest ranked cities on Travel and Leisure in 2011 from tourists (a site you westcoasters seem to love). I wouldn't say he's a small percentage at all.
I don't so much attack Philly. I (rightfully) state that it's a dump compared to Seattle. However, it can make other cities (we'll start with Milwaukee) look like dumps. Population means squat, especially given the city-cluster phenomena that exists on the East coast that doesn't exist on the West, and "30 million visitors" is similarly taken with a grain of salt given that it's much easier to "visit" Philadelphia (read: Pass through it) than it is to ever GET to Seattle (which one really has to set out to do in order to accomplish).

Quote:
Lastly, as for education, I would safe Philadelphia fares pretty well. All states in the Philadelphia region, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Delaware and Maryland have better education that Washington, which in fact, ranks pretty low. Maybe you should look these things up before you go running your mouth.
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed
Fact: 55% of residents in Seattle have at least a Bachelor's Degree. I have no idea what Philly's percentage is, but I guarantee you it's not 55%. And congratulations on trying to talk about education between 2 cities - and then using charts that list ENTIRE STATES. Way to show off that sparkling education. It's a well-known fact that once you get over the Cascade Mountains or drop about as far south as Tacoma, you hit redneck purgatory...

Quote:
While I'm not sure on Toure's education, I gauruntee you the majority of use are better educated than you are... oh and we have far superior universities to boot too.
Oh? I have a degree from MIT. Call me crazy, but I would wager that there are very, VERY few people in that city who could match that. I can say with absolute certainty that Philadelphia has not a single university that can churn out something as prestigious. Granted, I picked up my degree in MA (and thus can't give 'Seattle' credit for it), but I, as well as a significantly larger percentage of high-achievers than can be found in Philadelphia - call Seattle home, not Philly. This brings us full circle: Why would anyone live in Philly when they can live in Boston, NYC or DC? There's no compelling reason.

Last edited by Yac; 04-23-2013 at 07:13 AM..

Old 04-09-2013, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
Fact: 55% of residents in Seattle have at least a Bachelor's Degree. I have no idea what Philly's percentage is, but I guarantee you it's not 55%.
It's 23%. Now if it rises 2 points, Philly will tie Mobile, Alabama. Now if they're really successful, and increase it by 4 percentage points, they'll be on par with Jackson, Mississippi. Although that would still leave them below the national average.

Old 04-09-2013, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
You're forgetting that Philadelphia is a multinodal city.
So is Seattle and every other major region. And it's far more expensive to lease office space in DT Bellevue than in King of Prussia.

Old 04-09-2013, 06:00 PM

8 posts, read 19,126 times
Quote:
I have a degree from MIT ... I can say with absolute certainty that Philadelphia has not a single university that can churn out something as prestigious.
I hate to nitpick, but since such an outrageous claim was made...

Wharton (Upenn) is the single most prestigious undergraduate business program by a large margin.

Old 04-09-2013, 06:04 PM

3,117 posts, read 4,584,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myron Gaines View Post
I hate to nitpick, but since such an outrageous claim was made...

Wharton (Upenn) is the single most prestigious undergraduate business program by a large margin.
That's nice. Now find a post where I said anything about majoring in business.....or, even assuming that I was a business major (I wasn't), give me a rundown of how Wharton is better than Sloan "by a large margin" (because there is nothing that will back up that claim).

This would be like me trying to say that Reed has a better university system than Harvard because Reed has the best Liberal Arts setup in the country, completely ignoring everything else.

Old 04-09-2013, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myron Gaines View Post
...and all the grads end up in NY, Boston, or the Bay Area

There's a reason Wharton had to expand by opening a campus 3,000 miles away in San Francisco, when Stanford and Berkeley weren't compelled to open one in Philly.

Old 04-09-2013, 06:38 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,927,632 times
Quote:
It's 23%. Now if it rises 2 points, Philly will tie Mobile, Alabama. Now if they're really successful, and increase it by 4 percentage points, they'll be on par with Jackson, Mississippi. Although that would still leave them below the national average.
Philadelphia was the workshop of the World and still has the 9th largest GDP in the World. What's the excuse for Mobile or Jackson?

Why doesn't your beloved DC, being the white-collar capital of the country in this day of economic collusion and non-production, compete with Seattle in bachelor degrees obtained?

Or would you rather throw around statistics with no substance in order to instigate arguments?

Last edited by 2e1m5a; 04-09-2013 at 06:47 PM..

Old 04-09-2013, 06:41 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,993,036 times
Quote:
...and all the grads end up in NY, Boston, or the Bay Area

There's a reason Wharton had to expand by opening a campus 3,000 miles away in San Francisco, when Stanford and Berkeley weren't compelled to open one in Philly.
lmao. You make it seem like Philly was just dying to have Stanford or Berkeley open up a campus in the city. We don't need Stanford or Berkeley because Philly already has an an Ivy League school in our city and not to mention there's another Ivy league school less than 40 miles from city proper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City