Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where would you rather live?
Seattle all the way! 193 52.02%
Philadelphia all the way! 153 41.24%
Other (Please specify) 25 6.74%
Voters: 371. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 07:03 PM

6,724 posts, read 6,718,975 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Philly already has an an Ivy League school in our city
so do Hanover, New Hampshire and Ithaca, New York, and like those towns, the students in Philly all move away when they graduate

Old 04-09-2013, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Why doesn't your beloved DC, being the white-collar capital of the country in this day of economic collusion and non-production, compete with Seattle in bachelor degrees obtained?
Yes, we're only at 51%. If I was from Philly, I'd have to take stats like that, and attach them to my self-esteem, and then repeat them 100x on CD.

My beloved DC is a great place to live. That said, we are too dependent on government, and I'll gladly defend Seattle's economy over ours.

Last edited by TheseGoTo11; 04-09-2013 at 08:20 PM..

Old 04-09-2013, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Philadelphia was the workshop of the World and still has the 9th largest GDP in the World.
once again, you're talking about the 1720s, whereas with Seattle we're talking about the city of the 2020s

but you're not 9th, you're really 1st or 2nd when you factor in that Jersey City, Hoboken, even Staten Island and Lower Manhattan would be in the Philly MSA if the Census Bureau didn't have a plot to keep Philly's ranking down

Old 04-09-2013, 07:52 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,927,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
once again, you're talking about the 1720s, whereas with Seattle we're talking about the city of the 2020s

but you're not 9th, you're really 1st or 2nd when you factor in that Jersey City, Hoboken, even Staten Island and Lower Manhattan would be in the Philly MSA if the Census Bureau didn't have a plot to keep Philly's ranking down
Ah ok, I see I'm not dealing with the sharpest tool in the shed. Sorry for being so presumptuous.

You see, Philadelphia presently (in the year 2013) dwarfs Seattle in economic production. This is something you can't seem to grasp.
I was merely suggesting that the reason for Philadelphia's lower attainment rate in higher education was for it once being the workshop of the World and leader of the country when our country produced things and created the largest middle-class and had the greatest economic output in modern World history (Meaning 18th, 19th and the first half of the 20th Century).

Predict the future all you want but Philadelphia has persevered through changes no other city has seen and still remains one of only two cities (the other being New York) that have been top 5 most populous in the history of our country. The city is now growing again year after year, following it's peak and subsequent decline since the 1950's.

I agree Seattle has an amazing future but that takes nothing away from Philadelphia's.

Last edited by 2e1m5a; 04-09-2013 at 08:11 PM..

Old 04-09-2013, 07:56 PM

7,269 posts, read 10,588,790 times
Quote:
It's 23%. Now if it rises 2 points, Philly will tie Mobile, Alabama. Now if they're really successful, and increase it by 4 percentage points, they'll be on par with Jackson, Mississippi. Although that would still leave them below the national average.
Yes, no one will argue that Philly overall educational attainment rate isn't terribly high.

However, it is important to note that the city has increased its proportion of college graduates slightly above the national average in recent years (since 2000 it has increased approximately 4.7% compared to the national average of 4.5%). This puts it in the top third of the top 100 cities and on a very positive trajectory.

Brookings - Quality. Independence. Impact.

It's also important to note that Center City has a strong critical mass of highly-educated residents, which in and of itself has a self-sustaining attraction effect for the core. In time, this will eventually impact other areas of the city on a greater level:

http://philadelphiaretail.com/demographics.aspx

Last edited by Duderino; 04-09-2013 at 08:05 PM..

Old 04-09-2013, 08:02 PM

Quote:
so do Hanover, New Hampshire and Ithaca, New York, and like those towns, the students in Philly all move away when they graduate

Perhaps some research would rectify your misinformed claims:

College Inc. - Many college grads stay put. . . in Philly, at least

Old 04-09-2013, 08:07 PM

Quote:
So is Seattle and every other major region. And it's far more expensive to lease office space in DT Bellevue than in King of Prussia.
Your point? Please, let me know when King of Prussia can be classified as a high-rise district similar to Bellevue. The economics are completely different, which makes these areas incomparable.

Old 04-09-2013, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
(since 2000 it has increased approximately 4.7% compared to the national average of 4.5%).
Impressive. Puts Philly on course to catch up to Little Rock by 2093.

Old 04-09-2013, 09:07 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,210,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11
and all the (Philly college)grads end up in NY, Boston, or the Bay Area
Incorrect yet again. Shocking. I would suggest all the Philly posters to stop wasting their time with this clown who makes things up out of thin air to support is anti Philadelphia agenda.

To follow some of duderino's astute rebuttals.

"For years, Philadelphia, in typical inferiority-complex fashion, has believed that it suffers a depressing hemorrhage each spring of irreplaceable, energetic talent, as new college graduates flee to hot spots such as New York.

Well, it just isn't so. A new study, to be released today, indicates that the Philadelphia region retains 86 percent of college graduates who are originally from the area, and 64 percent of all graduates - better retention rates than in Boston, Philly's arch-rival in the knowledge industry.

http://www.collegia.com/press/BrainDrainNotSoFast.pdf

Quote:
And it's far more expensive to lease office space in DT Bellevue than in King of Prussia.
Great point.

Who really cares about the price of sq ft of office space in Bellevue and how it compares to King of Prussia. Philadelphia areas office market is spread 360 degrees encompassing 3 different states. Sorry dude but not every regions office hubs are concentrated on isolated inland sounds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11
86% of college students from the Philadelphia region stay in the Philadelphia region.

64% of all college students in the Philadlephia stay in the Philadelphia region.

So yeah the 14 % of college students that do leave Philly is less than < All

[MOD CUT- PERSONAL ATTACK]

Last edited by Trafalgar Law; 04-12-2013 at 09:50 PM..

Old 04-10-2013, 05:21 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,927,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valentro View Post

There are many things Philadelphia excels in, I personally find it's core to be the second most urban in the continental United States after New York, however in the educated population department both Washington and Seattle take it.
It makes sense for DC to have high attainment rates in bachelor degrees. DC never produced anything-never had any industry. It is one of the most transient cities in the country. That was my point. Philadelphia really only deindustrialized in the 1980's, a full 10 years behind Boston/NYC/etc and still has the most highly educated city core of any city in the country (going by Graduate degrees obtained).

I stand corrected on GDP but then again I don't like to look at MSA and especially CSA stats for Philly. If I did I would be ignoring Millions of people/jobs/dollars in economic production that are located within 1 Hour and 50 Miles of downtown Philly (Princeton, Trenton, Lehigh Valley). These are real opportunities that imaginary lines do not account for on paper.

Yes, it is a tired argument about Philly/NYC CSA and things will continue to change as NYC expands and encroaches on Philadelphia territory and the Philadelphia area continues to focus on mostly the city of Philly itself. But at the end of the day, these are still real jobs and real economic opportunity available to everyone in the area, no matter who gets the "official" credit. 35 Minute high speed rail from Manhattan to Center City should really benefit Philly more than NYC.

Last edited by 2e1m5a; 04-10-2013 at 05:37 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City