Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is the South really the best place for an Indian to be?
Yes, it isn't as bad as the stereotypes claim it to be, come on or go on down partna! 21 55.26%
Just your experience, maybe you were in the wrong part of the Northeast. 17 44.74%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 08:43 PM

27,558 posts, read 28,652,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgamibi View Post
Been to DC, nice and warm people there!
Then, there you go. Maybe DC is the right fit for what you're looking for. Frankly, I don't imagine most people would bat an eyelash at an Indian/Hispanic couple around here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2010, 08:47 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,814,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgamibi View Post
Arizona has a lot of Hispanics but remember what happened when they tried the racial profiling act?

I'm jus sayin.

Edison, NJ has the highest percentage of Asian Indians in America. (17%)
Edison is among the safest cities in the nation (over 75K pop) and it's one of the best educated cities of its size.

What part of NJ where you in? Southern NJ is less diverse and has a bigger reputation as far as racism goes.

Old 12-01-2010, 08:47 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,310,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Then, there you go. Maybe DC is the right fit for what you're looking for. Frankly, I don't imagine most people would bat an eyelash at an Indian/Hispanic couple around here.
And D.C. has a large salvadoran pop. I just thought I'd throw that out there for the OP since he digs Latinas.

mas23

Old 12-01-2010, 08:53 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,043,145 times
Actually Houston & Miami are among the least White cities in the USA. Both of which are balanced nicely by all racial groups and ethnic groups. And DFW is almost there at that point too and will be by 2013.

And there are only 4 Minority-Majority Metropolitan Areas in the USA, and they are all in the West or South. Houston, Miami, Bay Area, & Los Angeles.

In fact Hispanics make up 38% of Houston, Miami, & Los Angeles's populations. They all have large Asian population, Top 10 Largest (Los Angeles of course being by far and away the largest among these three) and Dallas-Fort Worth also in the Top 10.

So I'm not getting this that the whole region is a backward and bad place to live. From my experience I've encountered racism in Boston and no where else. And I've been to 34 states out of 50.

Old 12-01-2010, 08:57 PM

725 posts, read 1,510,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Footballfreak View Post
There is a lot of murder and racism in the south. Blacks and whites live in the south. If you are indian, asian, or mexican/spanish, then I would stay out of the south personally. The south is still VERY backwards.
Dude, first, your're outta your mind...

To the OP it's kinda like when somebody tells you that a movie is really bad and you watch it with low expectations and it happens to be pretty good.

Then

If somebody tells you a movie rocks and you watch it and you are less than empressed.

I can tell you from my experience I haven't had any brushes with racism my whole life in the south as a black man. Not even in the country.... However one of the times I was in NYC I was talking to a group of white guys and they were talking down about the mexicans and foriegners in general...saying some really vulgar stuff.

So I see where you are coming from... however the majority of people I met aren't racist at all. I'm sure that's probably the case with you.

I boil it down to the law of averages. The overwhelming majority of people aren't racist, but from time to time in any population there are going to be racist for whatever reason. So, yes, there are racist in the north and the south, but remember that's only a small percentage.

Old 12-01-2010, 08:58 PM

803 posts, read 1,264,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
I'm jus sayin.

Edison, NJ has the highest percentage of Asian Indians in America. (17%)
Edison is among the safest cities in the nation (over 75K pop) and it's one of the best educated cities of its size.

What part of NJ where you in? Southern NJ is less diverse and has a bigger reputation as far as racism goes.
Well the part wasn't that diverse but was very rich, nice houses and everything. A lot of Whites and some East Asians.

PS: This isn't about Indian guy - Latina couples.

Old 12-01-2010, 09:02 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,943,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Footballfreak View Post
There is a lot of murder and racism in the south. Blacks and whites live in the south. If you are indian, asian, or mexican/spanish, then I would stay out of the south personally. The south is still VERY backwards.
lol, there is murder and racism everywhere.

and as a black person Socal is scarier for me right now than anywhere in the south (well maybe not San Antonio )

are you kidding me about spanish in the south.

there are some of the largest spanish populations in the south. the south is almost one third spanish.

Texas and Florida alone gives you 20 000 hispanics

Old 12-01-2010, 09:04 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,310,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
lol, there is murder and racism everywhere.

and as a black person Socal is scarier for me right now than anywhere in the south (well maybe not San Antonio )

are you kidding me about spanish in the south.

there are some of the largest spanish populations in the south. the south is almost one third spanish.

Texas and Florida alone gives you 20 000 hispanics
i thinks a little more than that lol

Old 12-01-2010, 09:12 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,943,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mas23 View Post
i thinks a little more than that lol
well I was being conservative. I can't believe he said the south is bad for Hispanics. There are just as many hispanics in the south as there are in the west and more than in the mid west and the north east.

plus some of the largest indian and other asian communities are in the south.
Ever Heard of Houston, Atlanta and Dallas?

Old 12-01-2010, 09:17 PM

2,419 posts, read 4,723,143 times
Living down south is not good for anybody, not even an Indian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City