Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which one do you prefer the most?
Frostbelt 36 45.57%
Sunbelt 29 36.71%
Outlying Areas 5 6.33%
I like all of the above equally 6 7.59%
I prefer a few, but I also don't prefer a few of them 3 3.80%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 01:05 AM

10,106 posts, read 9,956,241 times

Advertisements

where i am now its in the 20s and windy.. it was 30 before got dark outside. still havent seen any snow on the eastcoast yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2010, 05:00 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,357,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post

- Economy (whose healthier?) - Two years ago I would have said Sunbelt, but now it's the Frostbelt. The Sunbelt's economy died with the housing crash.
This sounds like your usual wishful thinking, nothing more.

Guess again.

Old 12-03-2010, 05:14 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,035,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
- Economy (whose healthier?) - Two years ago I would have said Sunbelt, but now it's the Frostbelt. The Sunbelt's economy died with the housing crash. While the Great Lakes area is still depressed, the Great Plains are growing like crazy. States like Iowa, the Dakotas, Nebraska and the prairie part of Minnesota are seeing great economic growth.
I've said this before this is between the Frostbelt, Sunbelt, AND Outlying Areas. I think I can speak for the Outlying Area as the best in terms of health.

This is why.

Some of the Healthiest Economies in the USA (Below National Average):
- Washington DC (Outlying Area)
- Baltimore (Outlying Area)
- Denver (Outlying Area)
- Seattle (Outlying Area)
- Honolulu (Outlying Area)
- Anchorage (Outlying Area)
- Tulsa (Outlying Area)
- Salt Lake City (Outlying Area)

Decent Ones at National Average Are:
- San Jose
- San Francisco

The only exceptions to the Outlying Area are (Above National Average):
- Portland
- Oakland
- Sacramento

I honestly, honestly don't think either Sunbelt or Frostbelt can compete with the health of the Outlying Area in terms of economy. And the Sunbelt is still on fire economically, you should see Texas & North Carolina.

Old 12-03-2010, 05:23 AM

7,411 posts, read 10,384,032 times
Not sure how these regions are designated? What constitutes, for example, the frostbelt? Consistently cold weather during winter? Frost occurs in all states [even the mountains of Hawaii]. Certainly the Mountain West is one of the coldest regions during winter. And how can Honolulu & San Juan not be considered the Sunbelt? Actually San Francisco has a generally year-round cool climate but does not experience frost or freezing temps and San Jose & Sacramento have some of the sunniest weather in the nation. Are these regions just randomly selected and identified as a way to compare? This "frostbelt" seems like another name for the "Rustbelt." The "Sunbelt" is consistent with other names for the southern one-third of the nation.

Old 12-03-2010, 05:27 AM

3,569 posts, read 7,195,975 times
Since when did mountains and desert become better scenery then prairie, forests, and lakes?

Old 12-03-2010, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
Not sure how these regions are designated? What constitutes, for example, the frostbelt? Consistently cold weather during winter? Frost occurs in all states [even the mountains of Hawaii]. Certainly the Mountain West is one of the coldest regions during winter. And how can Honolulu & San Juan not be considered the Sunbelt? Actually San Francisco has a generally year-round cool climate but does not experience frost or freezing temps and San Jose & Sacramento have some of the sunniest weather in the nation. Are these regions just randomly selected and identified as a way to compare? This "frostbelt" seems like another name for the "Rustbelt." The "Sunbelt" is consistent with other names for the southern one-third of the nation.
The country began in the Northeast & Midwest (was expanded to later) and even in terms of development, they grew around a different era of development than the Sunbelt in general and the Interior West along with Pacific Northwest.

The Midwest in the 1850's or so was what the California was in the 1930's. And that was Westward areas, Midwestern cities at one point were the fastest growing with Chicago said to have been the fastest growing city of its time, along with Detroit, Saint Louis, Cleveland, among others. They completely grew up in a whole different era from a place like Seattle or Denver.

The names Sunbelt & Frostbelt have little to do with their actual names but more so about the era and terms of development when they came to prominence. The Sunbelt is characterized as rapidly growing area, where people from the Frostbelt move from there is actually a page on that also. Which includes Los Angeles, Arizona, New Mexico. Those area grew around the Auto-Mobile era, highways, road networks, and around "sprawl".

This is the Frostbelt: Frost Belt - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This is the Sunbelt: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunbelt

This is Frostbelt to Sunbelt: Frostbelt

It has little to nothing to do with the weather itself. It is primarily a term used to describe regions where certain trends of migration occur. Sunbelt receives Frostbelters, and so on and so forth.

Old 12-03-2010, 05:37 AM

^Well Danny, we could pass for the "Frostbelt" this morning - it's only 33 here!

Old 12-03-2010, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Well Danny, we could pass for the "Frostbelt" this morning - it's only 33 here!
I'm loving the weather actually John. The only thing I miss about this weather is my Wake Boarding every weekend.

Loving the near Winter feeling of Autumn weather though. Great time of year!

Old 12-03-2010, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYY View Post
I'm loving the weather actually John. The only thing I miss about this weather is my Wake Boarding every weekend.

Loving the near Winter feeling of Autumn weather though. Great time of year!
I hear ya! I just don't like the fact that most of the trees are now bare, and that we are in for a couple of months of cold, snotty weather. It actually snowed a little in the mountains last night.

Other than that, I can deal.

Old 12-03-2010, 06:45 AM

3,635 posts, read 10,742,367 times
Why did you put Memphis & Nashville in the sunbelt? They aren't in the shaded area of that map. It can get pretty cold too. Some days don't even get above freezing, and once or twice a year it won't get above 15 degrees for a high.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City