Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which one do you prefer the most?
Frostbelt 36 45.57%
Sunbelt 29 36.71%
Outlying Areas 5 6.33%
I like all of the above equally 6 7.59%
I prefer a few, but I also don't prefer a few of them 3 3.80%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 08:27 AM

3,569 posts, read 7,195,975 times

Advertisements

Like he said before. It has little to do with weather.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2010, 08:43 AM

528 posts, read 1,184,619 times
- Weather (LOL) - thats a tough one. while i love the warmth, i feel like I would get bored and miss the 4 seasons. Draw.
- Scenery (which one you prefer) - definitely the east coast over the west coast, but that doesn't necessarily mean frost/sun...The east coast has more lush, green areas. from new england and the mid atlantic greenery and foliage to south florida's jungles to atlanta's peachtrees haha
-The west coast is too barren, with burnt shrubs everywhere and sand. boooring.
so in terms of frost/sunbelt, i'd go with frostbelt, because its mostly on the eastern side of the country.
- Food (where is it better for you?) - NY pizza - frostbelt
- Variety in outdoors (where are you offered more variety in outdoor recreation?) - Frostbelt. 4 seasons!
- Diversity (which one and why do you prefer it more there?) - that depends more on the city than the region i think, but overall, frostbelt.
- Economy (whose healthier?) - outlying areas mostly!
- Parks (who has better parks overall?) - frostbelt. lake calhoun minneapolis, Millenium park chicago, central park nyc, new jersey garden state!
- Architecture (whose better?) - frostbelt
- Sports (whose more hard core?) - frostbelt....Pittsburgh and Boston probably lead the pack with hardcore fans, detroit and philly not far behind
- Music (whose got what?) - FROSTBELT!! - nyc hip hop, chicago/detroit trance & house
- Art & Museums (who wins here?) - frostbelt. i'm including DC in it here too
- Movies & Film (who wins here too?) - frostbelt. LA might pump out the largest in pure numbers, but i like movies that take place in chicago/detroit/nyc. (gotham city type movies, and gangster movies)
- Anything else you can come up with just add it in - schools and employers - definitely frost belt.
I admit, in my choosing, I usually include DC/baltimore in the frostbelt. it can get as cold as NY here.

Which one has the most impressive set of cities? Which one would you live in first (pick one)? Why would you live there over the others?

Maybe i'm biased, but i just really like the northeastern/midwestern US more than the rest of it in terms of city selections. more history, culture, stuff to do, urban lifestyle, skylines, density, educational and professional opportunities. I like california and florida, but i'm fed up with car culture. It seems like the only worthy opponent in the sunbelt cities that has these things to offer is San Fransisco and to a lesser extent, Miami....but san fran isn't even in the sunbelt according to the maps here

Old 12-03-2010, 08:47 AM

1,654 posts, read 5,853,802 times
Frostbelt wins everything here maybe except for weather; even that's completely subjective.

Old 12-03-2010, 08:57 AM

1,937 posts, read 4,708,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThroatGuzzler View Post
Frostbelt wins everything here maybe except for weather; even that's completely subjective.
Whatever?????

Old 12-03-2010, 09:40 PM

1,678 posts, read 3,737,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
This sounds like your usual wishful thinking, nothing more.

Guess again.
Did you ever get a chance to look at the latest unemployment charts?

Unemployment Rates for Metropolitan Areas

http://www.bls.gov/web/metro/laulrgma.htm

Anyways Frostbelt for me although I do like alot of things about the Sunbelt especially the prevalence of Latin American cuisine.

Old 12-04-2010, 03:25 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,152,881 times
If I can't drive my car on a lake in January, it's not cold enough. I wish Chicago and Green Bay could swap places. And that "frost belt" map cuts way too far south.

That said, as much as I like winter, I'm way ready for spring by March.

Old 12-04-2010, 03:27 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,152,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo234 View Post
Anyways Frostbelt for me although I do like alot of things about the Sunbelt especially the prevalence of Latin American cuisine.
Then check out Chicago. You get the best of both.

Same with New York, though NYC is more Caribbean-Latin while Chicago is more Mexico/Central American-Latin with a good dose of Puerto Rican for good measure.

Old 12-04-2010, 06:44 AM

2,014 posts, read 5,098,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
Why did you put Memphis & Nashville in the sunbelt? They aren't in the shaded area of that map. It can get pretty cold too. Some days don't even get above freezing, and once or twice a year it won't get above 15 degrees for a high.
Louisville is listed as Frostbelt though it isnt in the shaded in area of that map as well.

Old 12-04-2010, 08:35 AM

3,569 posts, read 7,195,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Then check out Chicago. You get the best of both.

Same with New York, though NYC is more Caribbean-Latin while Chicago is more Mexico/Central American-Latin with a good dose of Puerto Rican for good measure.
For sure. Gets annoying when people assume places in the midwest has less of an latino influences because its farther. Chicago has the most mexicans after los angeles

Old 12-04-2010, 11:42 AM

3,635 posts, read 10,742,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alacran View Post
Like he said before. It has little to do with weather.
then what is it? Memphis isn't shaded on the map, Memphis certainly isn't booming and new like most sunbelt cities. I don't know how someone could consider Memphis as a sunbelt city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City