Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: NYC a district?
Yes- NYC should be a district 38 39.18%
No- Keep it a part of New York State 59 60.82%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 01:31 PM

5,462 posts, read 5,707,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
I am not sure what people say when they are saying "it would make sense"... What makes sense?
No, what makes sense is the fact that NYC and NYS just don't go together, just look at NY map. Geographically separate places, different climate zones, and everything from weather to culture to people's accents is different. Just imagine a situation if Chicago was part of the original 13 colonies and it was joined to the state of Texas by the English with the state capital in Austin. That would be pretty darn ridiculous.

The only reason NYC is not separated from NYS is the fact that politicians in Albany will lose clout. It would be nice if the whole state would have a referendum or something on this issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2010, 02:04 PM

5,546 posts, read 6,872,645 times
Ultimately, I think that NYC belongs in a state, just not NYS. My gut tells me it shouldn't be a district like DC, because it's just a big city (aka not a political center). However, I'm not sure how things would work if NYC was re-designated to NJ. I'm assuming that would greatly impact the state of NJ (I can't imagine for the better).

Ultimately, it would be a huge undertaking politically, financially, and would take the government forever to figure out the details (the only thing that doesn't take a long time is pushing through pay raises for govt officials).

Old 12-03-2010, 02:20 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,691,140 times
There is no need for it to be its own district, at all. It would never happen because it makes no sense. Why waste time and money to do that when this country has actual real problems to take care of. The only reason DC is its own district is for federal government reasons. So no it wouldn't make more sense.

Old 12-03-2010, 02:27 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
I have always thought in many ways it would make more sense to add NYC/LI/West Chester/Putnam/Rockland/Orange Counties in NYS in addition to Philly/Bucks/Chester/Montgomery/Delaware counties in PA with NJ (Maybe even parts of CT and DE too)

Old 12-03-2010, 04:01 PM

5,546 posts, read 6,872,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
I have always thought in many ways it would make more sense to add NYC/LI/West Chester/Putnam/Rockland/Orange Counties in NYS in addition to Philly/Bucks/Chester/Montgomery/Delaware counties in PA with NJ (Maybe even parts of CT and DE too)
Imagine what NJ's density figures would if that were to happen! It might be higher than some cities!

Old 12-03-2010, 05:32 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,043,145 times
Personally I think this should happen:

South Jersey gets added into Pennsylvania. It would also give Pennsylvania a shoreline and some port activity to bolster its economy from there on.

I think New York City/Putnam County/Rockland County/Westchester County/Nassau-Suffolk Counties/Northern New Jersey & Western Connecticut should all be one state together.

Eastern Connecticut still retains more New England character than anything, where as Western Connecticut is influenced by New York City. I say Eastern Connecticut joins Massachusetts or Rhode Island, which ever one.

Honestly, as much as I HATE to say but our country seriously does NOT need 50 states in the USA. And to be frank, many states pull their own weight and do so nicely, but there are still many states that do not come close to pulling their own weight and need the Federal Government more than anything to survive. I say we do away with those states completely and combine them with more influential states. We would be in a better position if our US States were planned out better than they are right now. We don't need bragging rights of having all 50, we could be just as prosperous as a country if not more prosperous as a country with say 37 US States.

They should combine less influential states with larger influential states. It would solve quite a lot of problems.

Old 12-03-2010, 05:57 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,508,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYY View Post
Personally I think this should happen:

South Jersey gets added into Pennsylvania. It would also give Pennsylvania a shoreline and some port activity to bolster its economy from there on.

I think New York City/Putnam County/Rockland County/Westchester County/Nassau-Suffolk Counties/Northern New Jersey & Western Connecticut should all be one state together.

Eastern Connecticut still retains more New England character than anything, where as Western Connecticut is influenced by New York City. I say Eastern Connecticut joins Massachusetts or Rhode Island, which ever one.

Honestly, as much as I HATE to say but our country seriously does NOT need 50 states in the USA. And to be frank, many states pull their own weight and do so nicely, but there are still many states that do not come close to pulling their own weight and need the Federal Government more than anything to survive. I say we do away with those states completely and combine them with more influential states. We would be in a better position if our US States were planned out better than they are right now. We don't need bragging rights of having all 50, we could be just as prosperous as a country if not more prosperous as a country with say 37 US States.

They should combine less influential states with larger influential states. It would solve quite a lot of problems.
would you think the same thing if the states held on to their state cultures and developed them more to have their own identity instead of this mass american culture? I think the states culturally used to be much different than they are now, and now you can get anything just about anywhere.

i.e. here is a florida map

here is texas

Old 12-03-2010, 06:11 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,534,629 times
district

Old 12-03-2010, 06:26 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,043,145 times
Quote:
would you think the same thing if the states held on to their state cultures and developed them more to have their own identity instead of this mass american culture?
Eh I view it two different ways.

There can either be a prevalent American culture as a whole, which was largely the idea in the 1970's overall. Americanism was a beautiful concept back then. More united and more centralized to our national culture than our regional ones.

Or we can have it this way where American culture in general has no exact definition because regional culture is so prevalent. Think about the fact that Boston CSA makes up half of New England's respective population. What possible culture Rhode Island have that makes it shine out? The entire state is in Boston's CSA. The Entire Sub-Region of New England functions as one to the point where the US Census created a special designated US Region for it, NECTA and its Metropolitan Areas.

I think those states would function greatly being one big state rather than some tiny ones. They have their culture, and yes they are states today because of the differences they had before, but they function as one area now more than they ever have. Their culture crosses state boundaries and gives the entire sub-region the identity of New England, and they have one massive city that accounts for half their population, their entertainment in terms of sports (New England Patriots? Haha), their access to international services and locations, and their financial capital.

Another thing, there is no reason for the state of Mississippi to be what it is, it obviously cannot support itself without the help of the Federal Government. We shouldn't do away with it, but rather combine it with Alabama & Georgia. Atlanta's CSA leaks into Alabama regardless, so those two states being adjoined would make a lot of sense, and adding in Mississippi would give one more prosperous state. The overall state population combined will become larger. The population more balanced, and less Federal Dollars going into the new combined state because the Georgia influence will keep it on par with most US States.

We can do that with many states, including South Carolina & North Carolina. North Dakota & South Dakota. I haven't ever been to North & South Dakota but do they really have that prevalent of an individual culture from each other that people will notice that they are now a merged state? Like would it matter? Both states are healthy economically, sparsely populated, and receive more tax dollars then they need for being so tiny.

Same with Wyoming & Colorado. Idaho & Montana. Nevada & California. Illinois, Wisconsin, & Indiana should be one state too.

I think the USA could do without 50 states, and its true every state has special aspects that make it unique, and thats why they developed into different states instead of one big area. But in todays time (in my opinion) we're costing ourselves so much maintaining more states than we can handle over such trivial aspects.
Quote:
I think the states culturally used to be much different than they are now, and now you can get anything just about anywhere.
I agree. States in the past, each and every state has its own identity. Do you remember the reason why Robert E. Lee refused to become the lead general of the Union Army? It was his love for his home state of Virginia more than the idea of there being two countries. People who started the country were loyal to their states. William Penn established the Quaker state of Pennsylvania, New Jersey vs. Virginia into high courts created the Big State-Small State Compromise.

But in present day, states are less influential outside of their region. They're not as active, and are more in tone to regionality than nationalism.

Personally I'm all for a weaker centralized government, but a stronger sense of Americanism rather than state pride. We do NOT need 36 Million Californians acting like their politics run the country, 26 Million Texans acting like their economy runs the country, & 19 Million New Yorkers acting like they started this country. There needs to be a better sense of Nationality here, where people view the country before their states.

Our government spends too much maintaining some states that cant handle the real world, combine them with more influential states and we'd cut spendings by a lot. Actually this topic definitely belongs in that thread earlier last week about Dominant-Submissive States.

I mean look at this:

Why should American Tax Payers be footing the bill for a state half way across the country because it cant make it in the real world of today? The state needs Federal help, and thus it shouldn't exist as a state if its in that bad of a situation. It should be combined with another state and then it would cut federal spending, give us more money for other services to improve, and also give us more balanced and powerful states that pull their weight.

And another thing. Have you heard of US Bill H.R 1586? Why are we paying tax dollars to not only support states that cant get by themselves but also paying annually $26 Billion to educate a small state of 3 Million people. That is an absurd amount, combine it with a larger state, a more influential and prosperous one, and split the education budget evenly among the new combined state with more money left to spare.

Like seriously, as an American Tax Payer you have to ask yourself some of the basic questions. And the very first one that comes to mind is: Why do some of these states exist like they do today when they cant make it in the real world? Why do we feed to their suffering make minimal improvements there upon decades of spending, only to go further into debt when that state can easily be more prosperous if it was adjoined with a nearby more powerful state?

To be clear though, I am not implying any state is superior or inferior to another. That is not the case, its just that some states pull their own weight in our country and some don't. And personally I was raised with traditional Asian standards and thats not to make yourself helpless and in need of looking for a bailout, we should become stronger not weaker and more decentralized in our nationalistic view. I think Mississippi probably has contributed to quite a good bit in our country's historical past but that in no way shape or form does anything to help our country today. We're facing the worst US Debt we ever have had, and the states that aren't pulling their weight are holding us back. Georgia is relatively prosperous, and Mississippi & Alabama are not. Atlanta gets the De Facto capital of the Southeast and cultural center and many rankings can prove that, just make it the center of the combined state of Georgia, Alabama, & Mississippi. Same with Chicago with the sense of Illinois, Wisconsin, & Indiana. Same with North & South Carolina and so on and so forth.

Sorry to take this off topic, but seriously, as a country overall we're very irresponsible when it comes to our spendings. And we do that to support such trivial things like regional culture and identity.

Old 12-03-2010, 06:36 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,534,629 times
i just think we can kill the NJ/NY/CT argument

like KONY sez - if you live in DC , you live in DC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City