Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 01:30 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,933,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmont View Post

And you know full well that events should be compared Metro to Metro, not just Dallas to Houston.

And I never said that you should not compare metro to metro, I am just saying that I mainly listed Houston events while you posted a link to your entire metro.

The OP might be referring to metros, but he said (and I quote) "Which Cities had more events" he even underlined it. he might have meant metros but I was just going from what was underlined. You guys are always quick to snap up the FW metro benefits but never gives it its proper dues

Last edited by CaseyB; 12-05-2010 at 11:45 AM.. Reason: off topic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2010, 02:18 PM

1,816 posts, read 2,512,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post

And I never said that you should not compare metro to metro, I am just saying that I mainly listed Houston events while you posted a link to your entire metro.

The OP might be referring to metros, but he said (and I quote) "Which Cities had more events" he even underlined it. he might have meant metros but I was just going from what was underlined. You guys are always quick to snap up the FW metro benefits but never gives it its proper dues

And I'm not turning this into a booster thread. I actually didn't make any points as to which metro has more events. I have made no claims whatsoever. I didn't provide the link - justme did. I don't know who has more events - Houston very well may. I don't really have the time to do a point-by-point comparison. I was just commenting on some of the things I had read in the thread to that point.

As to which cities, it is common knowledge that people who don't know DFW very well sometimes forget that it is a multi-polar metro. It doesn't make sense for anyone to say "here are Dallas' events" and not mention that Fort Worth and all the surrounding suburbs also have events, too. They all go together.

And I'm not sure who "you guys" is in reference to, but I (and justme, for that matter) am always quick to point out that DFW is, in fact, both D and FW. The people who you are actually referencing are just as bad as you or Metro Matt are at being myopic and boosterish.

Last edited by CaseyB; 12-05-2010 at 11:46 AM.. Reason: off topic

Old 12-04-2010, 02:36 PM

Quote:

And I'm not turning this into a booster thread. I actually didn't make any points as to which metro has more events. I have made no claims whatsoever. I didn't provide the link - justme did. I don't know who has more events - Houston very well may. I don't really have the time to do a point-by-point comparison. I was just commenting on some of the things I had read in the thread to that point.

As to which cities, it is common knowledge that people who don't know DFW very well sometimes forget that it is a multi-polar metro. It doesn't make sense for anyone to say "here are Dallas' events" and not mention that Fort Worth and all the surrounding suburbs also have events, too. They all go together.

And I'm not sure who "you guys" is in reference to, but I (and justme, for that matter) am always quick to point out that DFW is, in fact, both D and FW. The people who you are actually referencing are just as bad as you or Metro Matt are at being myopic and boosterish.
sorry, I made a mistake and didn't look back to see who it was.
As for DFW being multipolar, I am not arguing that you should not use the entire metro. All i am saying is that I mainly listed City of Houston activities and I don't want a reader to assume that the list was a metro list. After the list of DFW activities were posted I commented that I could extend my list to include other areas of the metro too.

have you ever seen one post of mine where I say Houston has more of this and not been able to back it up?? Just one??

Yes i will defend Houston strongly, I will give you that, but people overuse the term boosting on here. Probably as much as they misuse the term troll.

I don't go around saying that Houston is pretty and Dallas is ugly and then walk away ( I can list at least ten people from the metroplex who post that about Houston and then walk away).

Rather when someone post that Houston is an ugly mess, in return I would say that is not true and post pictures of Houston. But some people want others to slam Houston and for us to not defend it. Don't give that boosterism bullcrap. If you don't have pride in your city that is your problem, but I have pride in mine.

What would you do if someone said Dallas is ugly, would you not defend it? I will go down swinging defending Houston whether you like it or not. It is my home.

As for Justme, he or she is usually a really fair poster and didn't mean to snap at him/her either

Last edited by CaseyB; 12-05-2010 at 11:46 AM..

Old 12-04-2010, 02:50 PM

2,744 posts, read 6,108,506 times
Hey...wait a minute why no San Antonio? It has many festivals, the biggest one in the state, Fiesta, plus has hosted many NCAA Final Fours, Texas Open, Big 12 Championships, 2nd largest Rodeo, 4 NBA world Championships/Finals, Alamo Bowl, All America Bowl, Navy vs Army and so on.

Old 12-04-2010, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweethomeSanAntonio View Post
Hey...wait a minute why no San Antonio? It has many festivals, the biggest one in the state, Fiesta, plus has hosted many NCAA Final Fours, Big 12 Championships, 2nd largest Rodeo, 4 NBA world Championships/Finals, Alamo Bowl, All America Bowl, Navy vs Army and so on.
not many people are familiar with SA outside the Riverwalk

I am ashamed to say that I never heard of Fiesta before I moved to SA. and I never imagined so many people would attend. I got stuck in traffic this year

Old 12-04-2010, 03:03 PM

1,816 posts, read 2,512,583 times
Quote:
sorry, I made a mistake and didn't look back to see who it was.
As for DFW being multipolar, I am not arguing that you should not use the entire metro. All i am saying is that I mainly listed City of Houston activities and I don't want a reader to assume that the list was a metro list. After the list of DFW activities were posted I commented that I could extend my list to include other areas of the metro too.

have you ever seen one post of mine where I say Houston has more of this and not been able to back it up?? Just one??

Yes i will defend Houston strongly, I will give you that, but people overuse the term boosting on here. Probably as much as they misuse the term troll.

I don't go around saying that Houston is pretty and Dallas is ugly and then walk away ( I can list at least ten people from the metroplex who post that about Houston and then walk away).

Rather when someone post that Houston is an ugly mess, in return I would say that is not true and post pictures of Houston. But some people want others to slam Houston and for us to not defend it. Don't give that boosterism bullcrap. If you don't have pride in your city that is your problem, but I have pride in mine.

What would you do if someone said Dallas is ugly, would you not defend it? I will go down swinging defending Houston whether you like it or not. It is my home.

As for Justme, he or she is usually a really fair poster and didn't mean to snap at him/her either
Hey, maybe I was being too harsh too. I think most of my ire was directed toward Metro Matt anyway, who I honestly do think is a terrible poster. But you seem pretty alright, if not a bit overzealous at times. Houston is far from the only city to be unfairly maligned on this site. And while you may not do it, there are plenty of Houston posters who do "drive-by" posts bad mouthing other cities, Dallas included. It really goes both ways.

But you are right, it is good to have pride in one's city. (Which I do, I just recognize that Dallas is far from perfect, and we have the duty to make it better). As for what I would do if someone called Dallas ugly? First, I would look at the person saying it - if it is one of the Houston/Atlanta/Northern City boosters, then I would just ignore it. Just as you should ignore anyone who ignorantly makes statements about Houston to just to rile you up.

Old 12-04-2010, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Hey, maybe I was being too harsh too. I think most of my ire was directed toward Metro Matt anyway, who I honestly do think is a terrible poster. But you seem pretty alright, if not a bit overzealous at times. Houston is far from the only city to be unfairly maligned on this site. And while you may not do it, there are plenty of Houston posters who do "drive-by" posts bad mouthing other cities, Dallas included. It really goes both ways.

But you are right, it is good to have pride in one's city. (Which I do, I just recognize that Dallas is far from perfect, and we have the duty to make it better). As for what I would do if someone called Dallas ugly? First, I would look at the person saying it - if it is one of the Houston/Atlanta/Northern City boosters, then I would just ignore it. Just as you should ignore anyone who ignorantly makes statements about Houston to just to rile you up.
oh, I have seen quite a few drive bys to the other cities.

I am only hard on San Antonio, cause I hated living there to the extreme (somem sweethome ), but I think I am pretty fair to DFW and Austin

As for the people saying Houston is ugly, most time it is not people doing it to rile anyone up (ok Kdogg may do it) but most times the people who do it are just regular posters who got the impression from flying to the airport or driving through on the highways

Old 12-04-2010, 03:17 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,732,359 times
Quote:
I may have worded it incorrectly in my earlier post. What I was trying to get across was that the reason why nobody had commented on Dallas up to the point was that Houston and Austin have more people who are supportive of them on CD than Dallas does. I was not trying to imply anything about Houston or any of their posters with that comment.

Old 12-04-2010, 03:19 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,732,359 times
Quote:
Edit: according to wiki Houston has more than Dallas but DFW has more than Houston metro. That is expected that the larger city would have more than the smaller one and the larger metro would have more than the smaller one because in all honesty both areas have similar pops. ( the wiki numbers are from ACS which are wildly inaccurate so don't quote that either)
They both have significant gay communities. Dallas' gay community is more girly, effeminate, and flamboyant. Houston has more "maybe they are, maybe they arent" gay people in my experiance. Dallas as a whole is more effeminate and fru-fru, while Houston seems more masculine even outside the gay community. But thats just my opinion.

Old 12-04-2010, 03:50 PM

2,744 posts, read 6,108,506 times
Fiesta is centered around downtown and the Riverwalk, over 3 million in attendance in one week.

San Antonio's Fiesta is 117-year-old party - Washington Times

Texas: Fiesta San Antonio, ever since 1891 - Travel - LATimes.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City